Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by cfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CreatureHole.jpg
    IMG_4357.JPG
    IMG_4356.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I wasn't sure if this should be a tech post, and I promised some more pictures of my Cyclone, so I figured I'd post here (besides I just posted a GI questions there anyway). If this is incorrect, I apologize and please move.

Anyway, here are the wear issues I'm dealing with. I have not started to clean the playfield yet. When I tested some spots with Novus, it was disgusting, so before I magic eraser all that ball swirl, I guess I have to give it a general cleaning.

The worst of the wear is right outside the spook house. Also some in the back of the playfield too. How should I deal with these (without going the CPR route)? I'm not looking for collector quality, but I would like to clean her up and make her more presentable.

IMG_4351.JPGIMG_4351.JPG IMG_4352.JPGIMG_4352.JPG IMG_4355.JPGIMG_4355.JPG

#2 11 years ago

While I'm on the subject of wear, just for the heck of it, a picture of my busted Comet ramp; held together by expoxy but I have a set of mantis protectors for it. However, the spook house ramp is in great shape (for now, anyway).

IMG_4356.JPGIMG_4356.JPG IMG_4357.JPGIMG_4357.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Here's my opinion. Do nothing beyond cleaning, unless you want to take the playfield out and send it to someone with real art skill to touch-up and seal. When you clean it you're bound to lose a little more paint in those areas, so be careful. My thinking is this - I've seen way too many PFs made worse by a hack with a black sharpie. The paint will be impossible to match because of the wear, and I have yet to see someone recreate a font without printing out a decal, which comes with it's own set of problems. Also, the lack of paint also means the surface is no longer level, the bare spots are lower. On a Fathom playfield I have been restoring, with more paint loss than that, I was able to gently clean and lightly block sand the entire playfield, using white paint to build up those missing spots until the surface was close again, and will do the same after the final touch up goes on, before sealing everything. I lost a little paint here and there around the worn areas, but you have to in order to fix it right and have everything solid, plus the light sanding helps expose a cleaner and more constant paint color to match. It's a bit unnerving to do. Obviously your playfield doesn't need to go anywhere that extreme, but I mention it for thought.

Now if you really feel you have the patience and skill to ink in those straight lines, you can probably get away with it looking better. But don't try to do more.

#4 11 years ago

wow.... clean it, play it, enjoy it. the amount of time needed to repair that isnt worth it. tearing it all apart then doing all the work to fix that, touching it up etc wouldnt be worth it to me. i would just clean it and play it. all the effort needed for making it look new would be easier by getting a new pf. nothing wrong with a good players machine. they all dont have to be collectors pieces

#5 11 years ago

Thanks, guys. I think I will just clean and wax it; I'm a horrible artist so if probably make the game look worse if I attempt to touch it up. Will a good waxing protect it from getting any worse (after a good cleaning)?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from parkway:

Will a good waxing protect it from getting any worse (after a good cleaning)?

Yes. Keeping it clean and waxed with new balls will make a huge difference in preserving it. It may not stop further wear completely but it will slow it down considerably. As far as restoring the PF, dont. Not yet anyways. Fixing wear down to the wood is a hugh undertaking and cant be learned in this thread. It takes lots of research and practice. Most of us who attempt this kind of job end up reading pages and pages of articles on restoration. Then watch every video out there with hints, tips and tricks on restoration. Then depending on your skill, experience, tools available and budget decide on a method you feel would work best for you a practice it. There lots of different ways to fix that kind of damage. You can level off the wear with white paint as suggested above, you can clear the whole PF first to give yourself a nice smooth surface, you can scan and print the damaged area on water slide decals then clear over top. Some people paint right to the wood then level the paint by building it up in layers and sanding. You can use acrylics if your going to clear or mylar over top or you can use enamels and let it ride. The point is there are lots of methods out there. Research them all, choose one and practice it. In the mean time clean it, wax it and play some pinball.

#7 11 years ago

You can always use a straight edge like a small protractor, or 12" stick ruler, as a guide to making straight lines. In a game I bought someone had used cut to fit mylar patches to stop the paint from wearing any further, though I really didn't like this idea, I'm ok with it now, and the CPR playfield is finally in the works.

#8 11 years ago

One consideration is to apply mylar or stealth mylar (read warnings) to the worn spots to prevent things from getting worse, until you can do it right. I'm a fan of stealth mylar (vinyl actually), just clean the pf and apply a couple of coats 100% carnauba past wax before applying.

If you're very artistic you can try your own touch-ups beforehand. I'm not paint expert, but pick something than can be removed with good gone or solvent (one that won't damage original art).

Here's a sample from a Creature restore I did last Winter. There wasn't enough damage to do a full teardown and have it sent out for a pro to restore ... but I wanted it to look decent until down the road when I want a CQ game. In the photo I chose and angle that actually shows the stealth mylar. From most other angles it's near invisible. You can see my very slight touchups underneath, in the yellow with black lines:

CreatureHole.jpgCreatureHole.jpg

#9 11 years ago

BTW, if you're up for it do the full playfield teardown, then a treasure cove polishing (or alternative polishing compound, just with the high-speed polishing arbors). It will look really nice, even with the damage.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks very much all. Very helpful! I think I will just leave it alone for now after a good cleaning and waxing. I'm going to have to go very very gently with the magic eraser when I'm near those areas I'd imagine. What's this stealth Mylar? Maybe if I clean and wax it good it's worth a small piece over the wear to prevent further?

#11 11 years ago

It's thin vinyl sheet (adhesive on one side), marketed as "Stealth Protectors" by PinballPal. PinballPal's operator is unfortunately having medical issues and is not back to fulfilling orders. You can buy vinyl sheet to cut your own. It's thinner than mylar and hence is optically more pleasing. It won't last as long as Mylar but in home-use it's probably not an issue.

Stealth Protectors came under fire in February, 2012 for lifting inserts when removed. Someone had really bad results pulling it up on a No Good Gophers. I've never had a problem, nor expect to remove it once down. But when I do put Stealth or regular mylar down I always put carnauba down beforehand which would make it easier to remove, and if I were to remove it would do it CAREFULLY. Just because it's "easily removable" doesn't mean you rip it off.

Long answer to your short question, but there it is.

Good luck with your pin.

Brian

#12 11 years ago

i've been using the pinball pal removable mylar for years. it's awesome stuff, comes up easily without any work, and comes up clean. will it remove artwork? well if your playfield is delaminating, *anything* you put on it will remove artwork. i've been doing this pinball thing for 20 years, and frankly i've seen what i thought was "idiot proof" get totally messed up by someone. It's amazing what people can mess up when given the chance. There is such a wide range of skill (or lack) abilities that you would be shocked to see what people can do wrong.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-handle-this-playfield-wear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.