7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DrStarkweather
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2012-06-02_14.33.13.jpg
    2012-06-02_14.32.43.jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

A few weeks back a Rollergames showed up, diamond plated and in really nice shape. Ask was $1650, seller said bottom line was $1500, far too high in my opinion. I wished him luck, told him my best offer should he come down, and forgot about it.

Last week I heard from him again, accepting my offer. Unfortunately I'd just brought home my long-lusted after Roadshow, and there was no more room at the inn, so to speak. Fortunately, I extended the deal to a group of my pin friends, and one of my buddies was able to snag it, and I've got dibs should he ever let it go.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, in my experience.

#52 6 years ago

I have overpaid for a pin that I wanted before...$2000 for a nice BF, $1700 for a T2 that needed some work and $2100 for a nice BSD. All were games I wanted. I have made money and lost money on the 15 + games have have come and gone. I always look at it as entertainment not an investment. All this being said...nothing beats getting a good game at a great price.

#53 6 years ago

While looking for my first pin recently, I tried several of these approaches. I hadnt played many of the value titles that make the consensus list of good first pins, so I wasnt overly eager for any title in particular. Non collectors seemed to think the information from "Boston" pinball was cherry picked in some way. The method I have found success with was providing a link to the pinside page for their machine. I would offer them the top end of the range IF the machine was in Very Good to Excellent shape. I ended up with 2 pins, paid half of the asking price for one of them. I have 4 other people still contacting me after 2 weeks to come and buy their machines (all very good easily flippable titles) but I am not ready for more pins just yet.

#54 6 years ago

I think it is harder trying to buy from pinheads who think every game out there has gone up $1000 in the last six months.

#55 6 years ago

As everyone else has said.

Smile, be polite. Make small talk. Hopefully it is not a deadly serious business interaction that will make or break either party.

Don't spend your entire time finding problems with the machine and pointing them out. Ask about when they got it, talk about how you enjoy playing that pin, talk about the old car or other random thing in the garage/basement/family room the pin is in. Positive, smiley, good feelings.

I am blown away when people tell stories of potential buyers coming and bashing the machines condition the instant they show up and generally being jerks. Sometimes the buyer will have driven hours to come and see the pins and will leave without the pin for a $100-200 disagreement in price that the seller would have dropped to if the buyer was not such a jerk.

A good offer:
    "I am sorry I can't offer you your full asking price but this is what I can pay for your _____."

Maybe you "can" only pay that much because you are out of money or because you don't want to overpay. The reason does not matter and you don't have to say why.

Have the cash, the cart and truck with you to take the pin right then. "I will pay you cash and get this out of here right now."

Feel the seller out on the phone if you have to drive very far. If you are split by to much in price then be polite, let them know that you hope they get the price they are asking, leave your name and number and say you have the cash ready and can pick the game up promptly if can things change in the future.

#56 6 years ago

Sorry dudes, but we have been trolled. This is yet another 'brand new' member resurrecting an old as hell thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 1,000.00
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    € 18.95
    $ 199.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 289.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside