13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Brokedad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

I have a 1966 williams pitch and bat. If you have the Bat in one hand and touch the leg of the machine next to you, YOU GET ZAPPED by the bat. does anyone have any ideas?

#2 13 years ago

check the leg bolts and how they bolt into the machine.
    from my experience the bolts screw into a 3/8 -16 plate and surrounded by wood
    unless someone added a wire to the inside or backside of bolt?
    shouldn't be anything there .

#3 13 years ago

Nothing is on the other machine, if you touch the top plate that holds the glass on the other machine you get zapped by the bat.

#4 13 years ago

Hmmm....have you checked your outlets?
    you can get this plug that has 3 lights built in that will tell you if the wires are backwards,
    find it in home centers - I'd start there

#5 13 years ago

The williams pitch and bat has a two prawn plug not a three, the question i show do I convert to a three.

#6 13 years ago

You could, but it may be a bigger job than you think. If the game doesn't already have grounding straps inside, you will have to run a ground bus to all of your exposed metal parts (legs, coin door, plunger mech, bat mech, etc...). However, you have to ensure that nothing that is tied directly to a power feed will be grounded. The shock you are feeling is most likely a transient voltage that is typical of non-grounded equipment. If it already has grounding bus, then you just need to install the new power cord / plug and tie the ground properly.

I would say go ahead and do it if it's a shock hazzard, but you should keep everything fused properly prior so you don't have an accidental burn out.

G

#7 13 years ago

I say leave it as it is. The electric shocks could make the game more exciting!

#8 13 years ago

Seems like you should install the 3 prong cord. I found this info on one of the pin repair sites. Most likely pinrepair.com (My page is a copy and doesn't show the web site.)

"Ground your game"

"Another good idea is to ground your game. To do this, run the power cord's ground wire to the metal frame of the power transformer. Then run a wire from the transformer's frame to the back end of the metal side rails. Run another wire from the front end of the side rail to the coin door and lock down bar. Lastly, run a wire from the coin door to the other side rail."

And like G mentioned above, run a wire to the bat and any other potential shock areas.

#9 13 years ago

only other thing I can add is -
    ...Circuit breakers save equipment & machinery GFIs save lives

#10 13 years ago

A simple solution would be to add an isolation transformer between the AC and the machines plug. A cheap protector outlet strip etc might do the job just fine. Try one.

The only other thing would be to wire the metal of the bat to the legs which would remove any differential.

I have a Williams Fast Ball machine but it's so old the legs are wooden.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-ground-a-old-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.