4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Alex1061
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago

My goodness, quite a bit of misogyny going on in here - "Buy her a purse" "get a spa treatment" "buy some Jimmy Choos" "Lie to her about the price".

My wife doesn't *love* pinball like I do but she *loves* me and because of that, she fully supports my hobby and makes it possible for me to pursue it, by coming to shows or carving out time so I can go to the garage to tinker on a project game.

In exchange, I support her hobbies, because I *love* her too. That's why I said that your best scenario is her supporting you. If you've got that, you're golden.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

My goodness, quite a bit of misogyny going on in here - "Buy her a purse" "get a spa treatment" "buy some Jimmy Choos"

It's not misogyny, that's the stuff my wife likes.

With 2 kids, the thing she cherishes most is time to focus on herself, like a spa day.

#103 4 years ago

I got my wife interested in pinball like this... I bought a 1979 incredible Hulk for $300, cleaned it, fixed a few things, and had her play it, she was bored to tears.

Then she played tmnt, was dying to have it, (it was way more fun than hulk) then she played Woz, it was way more fun than tmnt, and oh so pretty!

Hulk is gone with a healthy profit

Woz came in with a way high sticker, but it was "pretty" and fun, so bam... The rest is history

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Anyone want to buy a tmnt?

I do....but Texas is far away lol

#105 4 years ago

Get a pinball stool with a Sybian built in?

#106 4 years ago

Fine a girl who loves video games and she'll dig the pinball

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not misogyny, that's the stuff my wife likes.
    With 2 kids, the thing she cherishes most is time to focus on herself, like a spa day.

Too hard to explain to hipsters with liberal-man-guilt.

#108 4 years ago

My only hope of getting my wife into pinball is through the top of the cab with the glass and pf removed; she'd never make it through the coin door.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

My wife never shows any interest in any of my hobbies...model trains, model planes, ice hockey officiating, part time children's magician, super chexx and now pinball. She never has any interest in it. I bought my first pin 3 weeks ago...a TOM...she doesn't even want to look at it. What have you guys done to get your wife involved in the hobby or even any of your hobbies?

Just enjoy it as your hobby...Occasionally she'll play some of the pins in the basement, but at parties, she's more interested in partying...Which is good...Sometimes it's good to have some separation; enjoy your time with TOM.

#110 4 years ago

Tell her youre going to sell all the Pinball machines ,and start collecting muscle cars.

#111 4 years ago

My wife and daughter play now and then but both support me with the hobby. My wife loves Games of Thrones so I told her that there will probably come a games of thrones pin and now she want a GOTLE... so ofcourse I agreed

#112 4 years ago

I am one of the lucky few........My wife used to hate pinball and my arcade collection with a passion. She would get so mad every time brought a new game home. Overtime she started to play more and more until BAM she is more into it then I am. We have almost monthly arguments on selling off some of my vids so we have more room for pins that we don't even own yet. As others have mentioned the keys are this:

1. Find a game that has a theme she likes - if they can relate to a theme then they like a good chunk of the game already then its just down to the play.

2. Let her win - most women are pretty competitive and the worst thing you can do is crush them straight out of the gate and ruin any confidence or interest they may have had.

3. If you have kid use em - Get the kids involved in playing. quickest way to get to a mom is through the kids. This also has some benefits later when negotiating for a new game. " I really don't want the pin but can you imagine the look on little johnny's face when we show up with it" you don't even finish the sentence and she is all but saying shut up and take my money.

Then all you have to worry about is buying a bigger house to fit all the games "she" wants.

#113 4 years ago

I am lucky in that my wife enjoys playing but isn't a pinhead. I agree it all comes down to theme, at least for my wife. She likes LOTR and ACDC and could care less about all the others I have had.
    The deal used to be I buy her diamonds when I get a new keeper pin. Now she wants vacations. Not sure which is more expensive lol. They are two different things though. Find what she likes to make her ok with your purchases and how to get her to enjoy playing. Definitely don't play a two player game. Try a game where you each get a flipper. I do this all the time with my son and he loves it.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Switch:

2. Let her win - most women are pretty competitive and the worst thing you can do is crush them straight out of the gate and ruin any confidence or interest they may have had.

Excellent advice right here.

#115 4 years ago

I think he wants his wife To get into pinball in order not to have to justify himself of spending (or wasting?) money on it. Correct?

#116 4 years ago

When I read the thread title I thought, "did you try through the coin door?"

#117 4 years ago

Here was a bit of a surprise. I picked up a Gottlieb Vulcan the other day. It's only the second EM I've owned. (I sold the Volley a year or so ago.) Anyway, my wife really seems to enjoy playing it. My theory is that it's a bit slower and simpler, thus less intimidating than the other pins. It's a great game, by the way. I am not saying it is inferior--just different, and different in a way she likes. That is great news for me since the only other pin she'll play is TOTAN, and that has been in restoration for the past year. I'm going to be on the lookout for another EM...

1 week later
    #119 4 years ago

My wife could comes down to the cave just enough to play the arcade but not too much for me to say get the hell out.

I agree with most having some space is best for any marriage. Hobbies for men that keep them outta bars is better.

Will be building one of those in the basement soon to compliment the arcade.

OHEMIO

#120 4 years ago

Theater of Magic Mike re-theme perhaps? Replace the trunk with a different "trunk" that grabs 2 balls for completion of the package.

#121 4 years ago

I mentioned this in another thread, but not here: I recently bought an EM (Gottlieb Vulcan) and, wonder of wonders, my wife wants to play it every day. She asks me to play it! I am amazed and delighted. Can't guarantee that will work for you, but you might give a good EM a try. It clicks with her in a way that the more complex, newer stuff doesn't.

#122 4 years ago

I think you're going about this wrong. Don't focus on getting your wife into pinball, but try to get your kids into it when they get a little older. And not just playing fixing and changing stuff with you supervising of course. In a few years they can help and they'll love it cause it'll make them feel big. Even get them their own magnetic grabber tool. Their excitement will show to your wife which will open a door to buying a few more pins.

#123 4 years ago

I had this same issue until a week ago. Then Rob Zombie was announced and she was immediately interested

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I had this same issue until a week ago. Then Rob Zombie was announced and she was immediately interested

I told my wife that our next door neighbor had a new boyfriend who looks like Rob Zombie and she said she had no clue what he looked like these days, so it looks like RZSSI is not one for the wife or me for that matter as we are not into Slasher horror films or his music, but AMH would most likely be one that she and myself would like to play one day.

She loves the EM's for their simple rules and old school charm, but usually ignores those anyway and just wants to play anything goes pinball without me watching her play, but at least she plays.

Ken

#125 4 years ago

I gave her a TOM for her birthday, that did the trick!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 3.70
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 11.95
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside