4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Alex1061
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

My wife never shows any interest in any of my hobbies...model trains, model planes, ice hockey officiating, part time children's magician, super chexx and now pinball. She never has any interest in it. I bought my first pin 3 weeks ago...a TOM...she doesn't even want to look at it. What have you guys done to get your wife involved in the hobby or even any of your hobbies?

#3 4 years ago

Mine doesn't really play, and doesn't really care. My boys (6&8) enjoy playing though. I just got a few machines from a storage area that all need a good cleaning, all new rings, and many new lights. They've been on me to get them up and ready. 1 down, 2 to go.

#4 4 years ago

My boys are too young...only 2 and 1 years old. My 2 year old likes to push the flipper buttons and shoot the ball, but that's it so far. I just wish she would show some interest so I can justify more pins later on lol

#5 4 years ago

Not sure if there is something you can do, it's more about personality. My wife is naturally competitive, played sports when she was younger, and pinball is a natural interest for her. She can compete against herself or others and she enjoys it. She is a tech nerd too, so that may be part of the attraction to pins.

#6 4 years ago

My wife couldn't care less about pinball. Zero interest in playing. That's fine, she doesn't need to be into it. She's super supportive of my hobby, what more could I ask for?

Trying to force someone who doesn't care to get involved is just a mistake.

#7 4 years ago

The best you can hope for is she is supportive of you spending time on it.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My wife couldn't care less about pinball. Zero interest in playing. That's fine, she doesn't need to be into it. She's super supportive of my hobby, what more could I ask for?
    Trying to force someone who doesn't care to get involved is just a mistake.

This

For the most part my wife is supportive even if she doesn't play much, she likes the cool look and atmosphere they create in the game room and that when people come over they love to play them. My wife plays a lot more since I added a SS and MMr to my collection. She struggled playing my sterns as they are so fast and hard that she never could get very far in them. Same with WOZ, to hard, to much going on, rules to hard to bother learning. With MMr anyone can destroy the castle and start a multi ball and SS is a great game for less skilled players as the callouts are great, the theme is fun, the wizard mode is obtainable.

#9 4 years ago

Find a woz on location and put her in front of it. Mine now will regularly dump 20 bucks in it when we go to play (place has about 19 pins). It's the only pin there she plays. But...before she thought my ww was dumb. We now play together, and there should be a met pro here in a week. I fund them...she plays them. But...she plays.

#10 4 years ago

I agree with Aurich. My wide does not care but supports it. When I buy a pin and only keep it for a short time I let her clean and wax the playfield. When it sells I give her some $ she then supported it quickly.

#11 4 years ago

My wife is lukewarm to it in general, but there are some titles she likes more than others - WoZ, CFTBL & IJ. She plays maybe 1 game/week.

But like Aurich's wife - mine supports me 100% and travels with me on road trips to get them...so I can't complain!

#12 4 years ago

I think the worst part is she hates that I spend $$ on these things. With the TOM, I just said screw it and bought it lol. That didn't sit well with her but better to ask for forgiveness haha

#13 4 years ago

Sometimes it can be about finding the right game. For example, TZ, I enjoyed but my wife hated it and wouldn't ever play. CFTBL on the other hand she and her friends loved and would play it nonstop. Never should have sold it but in any case find a location with a good selection of pins to play and see if maybe there is a game more to her liking.

#14 4 years ago

My wife loves to play our WOZ ECLE and is a big fan of MM. Fortunately, she is very supportive of my hobbies.

#15 4 years ago

My wife plays in our monthly tournaments but if I wasn't going anyway, i doubt she would. She never used to play any of my games so I asked her what she liked. We now have a Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball which she plays a lot. I have also just purchased a Scared Stiff just because she likes it.

#16 4 years ago

Let her pick out the next game you buy. Smoke a doobie and have some drinks. Put on some good music.
    Play pinball.

That should work.

#17 4 years ago

Trooper: I don't mean to give you sh*t, really. Just ignore me or downvote me or both if you want me to shut up.

But if your wife doesn't show any interest at all in your hobbies.... how did yawl end up married in the first place???

And as far as the topic is concerned - we just happened to stumble across a pin that she dug (Bally's Embryon) at an arcade in Los Angeles and for whatever reason, she dug it. Before that she was scared to death of playing and kept telling me "ahhhh I don't want to waste the money playing when I suck!".

#18 4 years ago

Good luck, mine still has no interest.

#19 4 years ago

We have other things we do together as a couple. We used to go dancing before the kids came...we also enjoy amusement parks together when we get the time. There are some things we share. We are taking a trip to cedar point next week as just a couple. No kids. Maybe I'll get her to play some arcade games or pins while we are there!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Trooper: I don't mean to give you sh*t, really. Just ignore me or downvote me or both if you want me to shut up.
    But if your wife doesn't show any interest at all in your hobbies.... how did yawl end up married in the first place???
    And as far as the topic is concerned - we just happened to stumble across a pin that she dug (Bally's Embryon) at an arcade in Los Angeles and for whatever reason, she dug it. Before that she was scared to death of playing and kept telling me "ahhhh I don't want to waste the money playing when I suck!".

You mean you do everything together? Must be newlyweds.

#21 4 years ago

In my experience, they either like it or they don't like it. Not much room for convincing. But, at bare minimum you have to have a wife that accepts your interests.... whether or not she participates. I am glad my other half likes playing. She isn't as die hard crazy as I am, but at least we can share some games and laughs.

I suggest, as other did, to try and find a theme she would enjoy.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

You mean you do everything together? Must be newlyweds.

Oh I'm not saying that - but we do share SOME common interests. The OP makes it sound like she hates everything he likes! And if I'm misconstruing that, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm just curious.

edit: Ah I see you guys do like to dance and hit the amusement parks together. That's real cool! I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect by my questions.

#23 4 years ago

Tell her there'll be white wine and chocolate...

#24 4 years ago

It's healthy to have some individuality in a marriage. How many of her hobbies do you like? For reference, I am not trying to sound like a dick.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh I'm not saying that - but we do share SOME common interests. The OP makes it sound like she hates everything he likes! And if I'm misconstruing that, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm just curious.
    edit: Ah I see you guys do like to dance and hit the amusement parks together. That's real cool! I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect by my questions.

No disrespect. We have been married for 36 years with 2 children. Many more common interests at the beginning than now. My wife has shown no interest in pinball and that is fine with me. I need some alone time. She needs her's as well. A lot of common interests are family.

#26 4 years ago

Why do you want her to play? I have an entire floor to my myself, that my wife nor daughters enter unless I drag them down kicking and screaming.

You can't put a price tag on that type of solitude. There are all other kinds of things that you can do with your family, embrace that which can be yours.

#27 4 years ago

I'd try on putting the shoe on the other foot for a moment and ask, "How could my wife/GF possibly get me interested in enjoying any of her hobbies?" -- if your shoulders are shrugging, and you're drawing a blank --
    you. are. not. alone.

-mof

#28 4 years ago

If on the other hand, you can think of a way she might get you interested in something you have shown no interest in, then consider trying that method...
    -mof

#29 4 years ago

If you pull the playfield her body should fit in the fetal position. Pull the head down before you bury the machine.

#30 4 years ago

Yea there are things she likes that I don't have any desire to do...for her, the big thing is finding every possible deal with coupons..the girl is like one of those extreme coupon people..but not as bad as people on TV...i can give 2 shits about it...I think she sometimes buys stuff just because it had a coupon lol. I more or less want her to like pinball so i can get more pins...lol...thats it!

#31 4 years ago

My wife likes to stitch. It's a relaxing activity for her, lets her unwind from BS at work or whatever else she's juggling. She doesn't hang out on quilting forums, or go to needlepoint exhibits or anything, but if she was into that I'd be happy to support her. And happy to not be invited along.

Put yourself in the position of the other person. Pinball just isn't that fascinating to a lot of people. For me it's my downtime, I can get into the zone of playing a game and stop thinking about my own BS. I like playing with people, and sharing the hobby with friends. I use pinball mods as a creative outlet, it's a nice break from day job work.

It's good to have space for your own things in a marriage.

#32 4 years ago

A good question I (try to remember to) ask is, "Why am I hoping or expecting another person to also share my hobbies? Would I benefit, if I completely accepted people and their chosen hobbies just as they are?"
    -mof

#33 4 years ago

My girlfriend doesn't play either. When I got my first she tried a little with me but I don't think she's even played a single game on any of the ones I've bought since.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

I more or less want her to like pinball so i can get more pins...lol...thats it!

Well why didn't you just say so? That's a totally different question man!

I dunno how your marriage works, and how the money decisions are made, but in my experience the secret is just to make things feel equal. I'm not above buying my wife shoes and diamonds, redoing the windows in the house, whatever else makes it feel like I'm not just pouring money into my personal hobby and ignoring everything else. I know what she likes, I know her sizes, and I'll just get her treats when I feel like it's warranted.

Be smart about it. Take care of her needs too, and do it first. Not after you get a pin, like you're buying her off. More like "I think about you, not just my games".

You're never going to win the "get her into pinball so I can buy more" angle. Either she's already into it or it's probably a lost cause. So skip that and work at how you can carve out your own space for it while making her feel included in the thought process, not just the game side of things,

#35 4 years ago

I tell my wife she's allowed to spend whatever she wants...obviously within reason (even though pins aren't cheap!!) She never really wants to spend anything, treat herself...the most expensive thing I've ever bought her was her wedding band and engagement ring..she never wants anything...ah oh well...ill get through it lol

#36 4 years ago

I don't take my wife shopping, I buy her things. Totally different.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Let her pick out the next game you buy. Smoke a doobie and have some drinks. Put on some good music.
    Play pinball.
    That should work.

I did that once. Now I cant sell Bad Cats...

#38 4 years ago

I went to some bars to "grab a drink" that just so happened to have pins in them, put credits on them all and asked if she wanted to play a few games with me to pass the time. I purposefully lost a few games on each one, and on the way home asked which one she liked the best and why. That's the one I bought.

Now I may be in the next room and hear her turn it on to play a few games. I've been told I can have three these days. Now just to find the other two.

#39 4 years ago

If someone would make a pinball with shoes as the theme...I pretty sure my wife would begin to love pinball!

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

If someone would make a pinball with shoes as the theme...I pretty sure my wife would begin to love pinball!

#41 4 years ago

I guess you'd probably have to lift up the playfield and maybe cut off her legs.. if she's pretty small you might be able to fit her through the coin door.

#42 4 years ago

For me personally, I have given up.... but she tolerates my hobby, she will go with me to the occasional pinball show or Pinball Museum in Asbury park.... My only chance here is if someone makes a Harry Potter machine... then... maybe then I have a slight chance of 1) getting her into pinball and 2) getting a new in box machine.

#43 4 years ago

Take her to a Pinball Show....She might see pinball in a different light.

#44 4 years ago

Please God, when I die, don't let my wife sell my pinballs for the prices I told her I paid for.... Amen!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

I think the worst part is she hates that I spend $$ on these things. With the TOM, I just said screw it and bought it lol. That didn't sit well with her but better to ask for forgiveness haha

Does she have any hobbies? If she doesn't you could be in trouble....she may see hobbies as a waste of money.

#46 4 years ago

One way to get your spouse or friend into pinball is to join a league. Leagues are as much about socializing as competing. Once she makes a few female friends and gets some regular play, she might get into it more.

#47 4 years ago

Rule #1 never let her know what they cost, she'll think you're a lunatic.

Rule #2 find and keep a game in your lineup that she enjoys playing.

After my wife realized they weren't going away, she gave them a shot. Once she found one she enjoyed playing, it was pretty easy from there.

#48 4 years ago

Hmmm... How to get your wife into pinball.

I start by lifting pf up and folding her in 1/2. They squeeze in better that way.

What? He asked!!

#49 4 years ago

^^^ haha i love it!

#50 4 years ago

My wife bought my first machine as a surprise present (described in my profile). She really knows me and it's the best thing anyone ever gave me. She rarely touches the machines, but I've never gone to one of her book club meetings! Gotta say, in reading this thread there is a good bit of sound advise and it sounds like a bunch of very solid marriages... a feel-good thread indeed. Thanks all!

to many more years...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board solutions

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 21.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,400.00
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 89.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside