Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RTS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am working on a Gladiators pinball machine and the right flipper just isnt as strong as the left flipper. The right coil is brand new as is the sleeve. The arm is clean. The end of stroke switch is qdjusted exact. The right flipper button leaf switch is adjusted exact also. All leaf switches are clean. The assemble itself and its items connected to it are solid and sturdy. The flipper is secured really tight. The ohms of the new flipper coil is 4.9...the manual i believe calls for a 4.7...so i dont think thats an issue. All bases are covered as far as i can see.

*note* the original coil was bad..it was doing the “rapid fire” move when engaged. That is why i replaced it with a new coil, which fixed the rapid fire issue.

So what else can i do or check to give me that stronger “POP” in the flipper?

#2 5 years ago

Check to make sure that the flipper is moving smoothly (no binding or rubbing anywhere). Make sure you have a small gap above the flipper bushing. While you say the end of strong switched is gapped correctly, is it engaging the flipper arm too soon? That will create resistance on the stroke. Check the return spring on the flipper -- has it been shortened? You can replace it with a weaker spring. Finally, you can replace the coil with a stronger one (or take some windings off the coil).

And then there is Vid's guide to rebuilding flippers. It will have more gold than want I've posted.

#3 5 years ago

Check the bushing and ensure that you have a correct gap. They make a tool for it but it can also be done with a plastic credit card, membership card etc. If it is binding, even slightly, you will get what you describe.

**Lyonsden above beat me to it. I think he nailed it.**

#4 5 years ago

Check the spring - maybe it's tighter than necessary.

Less resistance could help as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-get-more-power-out-of-a-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.