(Topic ID: 256471)

How to get best audio quality without Pinsound on System 11?

By mystman12

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenHunter_132.jpg
S11_ecualizador.jpg
S11_ecualizador2.jpg
#1 4 years ago

I've been thinking about doing some sort of audio upgrade on my Mousin' Around after hearing a Rollergames with great sound. I asked what speakers had been added and according to the owner of the machine the speakers were original and all that was added was Pinsound. The thing is, I don't want Pinsound as from my understanding it would cause a lot of features in Mousin' Around's sound package to be lost, such as the sound effects and music cues that change key depending on what key the main track is in. I'd also be concerned about things like the lights blinking in time with the music getting out of sync from what Pinsound is playing. On the other hand, from what I've read, just upgrading the speakers likely won't improve the sound that much.

So, what I'm wondering is, how I can best improve the audio quality on the game without using a Pinsound? Are there any Pinsound alternatives that don't completely override the existing audio board but still improve quality (Just the quality of the music of course, I know the sound clips can't be improved at all)? Or is getting better speakers and an external sub the best I can do?

#2 4 years ago

With digital sounds on older games, the quality of the sound/music itself isn't very good. It's nowhere near the high fidelity sounds of today.

New speakers can help a little bit if the originals are damaged in some way, but if the speakers are in good condition, you probably won't notice much of a difference there. Speakers pretty much just reproduce what you feed into them, and what older games send out is pretty much what you're stuck with.

If you want crystal clear, high-quality sound/music, the only good option is a total sound replacement, like pinsound.

#3 4 years ago

I know that, mainly I'm just looking to get better bass and stuff like that. Does Pinsound make any modifications to the original soundtracks of games? If so I suppose that's why the Rollergames might have sounded better than normal. Most notable about it was how nice the bass sounded compared to an unmodified one. Not looking for anything crystal clear or anything like that, I'm a bit of a purist and I can't imagine replacing any of the sounds with something new, just curious if there are any worthwhile upgrades if I'm sticking with the original audio board.

There was a TX Sector I played at Pinfest with a sub underneath it, and I thought that sounded pretty incredible, so is that probably the best thing I can try?

#4 4 years ago

You can insert in the volume control socket, a preamp with a triple tone control or an equalizer, for example this one from the Chinese. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000221776956.html

Anyway the improvements will depend a lot on the quality of the original sounds. If the sounds already have noise (white noise blowing), you could not increase the treble much, and to improve the bass it is imperative that the original signal be free of AC 50 / 60Hz hum.

This modification is very simple and cheap, you can try, surely something will improve.

S11_ecualizador.jpgS11_ecualizador.jpgS11_ecualizador2.jpgS11_ecualizador2.jpgScreenHunter_132.jpgScreenHunter_132.jpg

#5 4 years ago

Just add a powered subwoofer. The ps10 is on sale for 90 right now at amazon.

I have one hooked up to my MA, and it makes a pretty noticeable difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 23.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-get-best-audio-quality-without-pinsound-on-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.