• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Bole909
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hi guys, it's me again.
While I'm waiting for spare part for fixing my bottom ball popper switch I want to ask you few things about shaker motor.

Mine doesn't work at all and no it's not turned off in the options. It looks like everything is connected but I don't feel it kicking in during gameplay. When I go to the test menu, there is one which fires all functions of a machine in circular matter and it does do the shaker motor but nothing happens.

Is there a way to diagnose this somehow?
I'll be able to send you some pictures of the shaker motor and board besides it tomorrow.

I'm just lost here, where do I start looking in attempt to fix this?

Thanks a bunch!

#2 12 years ago

1st thing is to test the power. Use a multimeter and test at the connections on the shaker motor. If there is no power there move to the next connection and test so on and so on. Process of elimination. If you have power at the motor is it the correct amount? If it has proper power at the motor, could be the motor it's self.

Pictures are all ways welcome.

#3 12 years ago

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm currently waging if I'm qualified for this fix

I just got my first pin and fixed few switches and got it in gameplay working condition - woohoo!

I'll try to shoot some pictures for you and please keep the ideas coming

#4 12 years ago

Make sure the wires are connected at the circuit board in the backbox too. Not sure which connector it is but just follow the wires from the motor on back.

Do you have a multi-meter?

#5 12 years ago

I have to buy a multi-meter - but that is not a problem I need one anyway My last one didn't have replaceable batteries and they died.
How should I approach testing the motor with multimeter ?

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Bole909:

My last one didn't have replaceable batteries and they died.

I'm 44 and have been a mechanic since 14 years old. Never in all my years have I seen a multimeter that you can't change the batteries in. If you have a digital model you have to take the back cover off if there is no battery door.

If you don't have a digital model you need one. I have and use Wavetek. Fluke is another well respected manufacture. Rule of thumb: You get what you pay for, when it comes to digital multi meters.

Quoted from Bole909:

How should I approach testing the motor with multimeter ?

You can test the windings for resistance, but mainly you need to see if it's getting power at all. Heck, you may have a blown fuse.

#7 12 years ago

There needs to be a slap on the forehead icon. Troubleshooting step 1 - check fuse.

#8 12 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=753

Here's the IPDB page for your machine, there is a english manual link there if you don't have a owners manual.

#9 12 years ago

Thanks a lot guys for help!
I'll try to take off the motor to see if it functioning (local electrician offered to take a look at it) and then I'll go from there.

I inspected all the fuses in the backbox and they seemed "visually" ok, I'll do them again once I get a new multimeter (hehe previous one was made in china and it was sealed hermetically so I had to throw it away heheh). Anyone knows which fuses are related to shaker motor?

I have the manual downloaded - it's helping me a lot to fix this pin! ))
I'm starting to enjoy it since I fixed the switch problems that prevented normal gameplay

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Bole909:

nyone knows which fuses are related to shaker motor?

You really should pull them all out and check them to at least make sure they are the correct Amperage. Every used pin I've bought had incorrect fuses in there.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Every used pin I've bought had incorrect fuses in there.

I've seen a bunch of incorrect fuses in my pins too. Must be from operators wanting to get the game back up for revenue? I'm glad when I read pinrepair a couple of years ago it suggested pulling and checking every fuse before turning the game on. Good reminder SealClubber.

2 weeks later
#12 12 years ago

Hey guys, just to keep you updated. I finally managed to fix the shaker motor with a help of local technician. It was the brushes that were wore out. And now it.......shaaaaaaakess ))

#13 12 years ago

Glad to hear it. I never play or even been near a Earthshaker, how hard do they shake? Can't be to much, would cause tilt issue's. Wouldn't it???

#14 12 years ago

Let me just say I haven't yet turned it to arcade settings (it's on lowest setting now!).
It's a really amazing feeling when the whole machine starts to shake and you can feel the movement - really simulates earthquake well. It's pretty aggressive! I might try it on full force in the next couple of days. I heard that their tilt was always less sensitive to compensate for the motor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-fix-a-shaker-motor-on-earthshaker-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.