6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have some ss games on location and i encountered that most problems are with coin jams and failing mechanical coin acceptors.
    It does not matter if you put big signs on the machine saying .50 cent only, people put in what they have in their pocket and only read when it is jammed.
    Since i dont have these problems with games that are fitted with electronic coin acceptors i want to convert my older games to new acceptors.
    Now i've tried to make a electronic multicoin acceptor conversion in an Eight Ball Deluxe but i can't get it to work.
    The acceptors i have are coincontrols SR3 and NRI13 with 6 channels programmed. Now the EBD has 3 coin wires, how do i connect these
    to a acceptor to make it work? In my memory i think i have once heard you need relays butI haven't found any specified documentation. I have an old credit board, called Klingon, which we used for Jamma boards to connect but that does not work in EBD either. With a meter i can see it pulse but the game does not come up with credits. It probably needs the other side of the microswitch but i have no idea how to connect.
    Anybody has done this before? Would be great for location pinball.

#2 6 years ago

First, they can not be in serial mode. (No MDB or NRI communication protocol.)

Then it's not difficult - there should be one wire for output on each coin accepted. These are wired to the coin switch wires in the game. Connect common and +12v, and you should be good.

Relays come into effect when you want to accept more coins than the game has coin switches. (I. e. 4 coins, but the game only has three switches.)

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Then it's not difficult - there should be one wire for output on each coin accepted. These are wired to the coin switch wires in the game. Connect common and +12v, and you should be good.

What about the other side of the switch matrix?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What about the other side of the switch matrix?

Switch Matrix?
    Ah, sorry, I missed 'early' SS. (If you have a specific game, it does help to link to the game.. )

In this case, if the coin mech has a switch common seperate from the voltage common (some do, some don't), then you want to connect the column wire to this, with a diode as in the switch matrix. Then each chute wire to the coin outputs.

If the mech does not have a seperate switch common, then you will need to use some small relays, with the switch matrix wires going to the relays (with diodes as specified in the switch matrix) and then the relays Coils connected to the mech outputs. (Use small relays - Check max current output of coin outputs on mech! Or you will fry the mech.)

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

If the mech does not have a seperate switch common, then you will need to use some small relays, with the switch matrix wires going to the relays (with diodes as specified in the switch matrix) and then the relays Coils connected to the mech outputs. (Use small relays - Check max current output of coin outputs on mech! Or you will fry the mech.)

Could probably use an AND gate too, I assume?

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated! The game i am currently looking at has a switch common, so i have to tie that through a diode to the same ground connection as the coinmechs 12 volt?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from cudabee:

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated! The game i am currently looking at has a switch common, so i have to tie that through a diode to the same ground connection as the coinmechs 12 volt?

'Switch Common'? If it is on the matrix (I mean, a row or column, which require diodes) then no, do NOT wire or join it with any other wire. It shook D ONLY go to the mech switch common. If the mech does not have a switch common, then relays are needed.

If the 'switch common' is ground, then it can go to the switch common connection if they're is one. Otherwise don't connect it at all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-fit-an-early-ss-game-with-electronic-coin-acceptor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.