(Topic ID: 253991)

How To Fill in Flaked Off Areas on Backglass?

By jimgravina

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03 (resized).jpg
06 (resized).jpg
01 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Have a Back To The Future backglass that's in very good shape, except for this one little spot near the corner of the window for the display. The area is pretty white in color (understandably not a pure white) but I was wondering what people are doing to help fill in this type of thing? See photo...
01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Yeah, I kinda agree...It doesn't even really bother me. Just wondering what people do to try and repair something like this. Still learning about all of this stuff!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah, I kinda agree...It doesn't even really bother me. Just wondering what people do to try and repair something like this. Still learning about all of this stuff!

Im interested too, following...

#5 4 years ago

Honestly, the enemy of good is better. I'd leave it alone. There's no way you would be able to match the dithering.

#6 4 years ago

I would start here and follow Clay's guide.
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, the enemy of good is better. I'd leave it alone. There's no way you would be able to match the dithering.

As a graphic designer, thats exactly what I was thinking, but had to see if there was some trick out there...

#8 4 years ago

I'd try something simple first like scanning the area, printing a chunk out on appropriate coloured paper and seeing how it looks.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I'd try something simple first like scanning the area, printing a chunk out on appropriate coloured paper and seeing how it looks.

Thats an interesting idea...which is making me think or another idea....

#10 4 years ago

not much you can do. let it be.

#11 4 years ago

I forgot to mention its a part thats still covered by part of the display...so no light shines through or anything, so maybe theres a little more play room to fill it in since it wont be affected by the light? Hell, maybe even a small square piece of white tape, just so its more "white" and not just a dark spot...

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

It would look like a chunk of paper stuck to the back of the backglass.

Quoted from jimgravina:

Hell, maybe even a small square piece of white tape, just so its more "white" and not just a dark spot...

It would stick out like a sore thumb. And if you use any sort of decently strong adhesive, it will pull up the paint if you try to remove it.

Honestly, if that's the only flaw in the backglass, you have a really nice BTTF backglass. I wouldn't touch it. You would be hard pressed to find another one.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It would look like a chunk of paper stuck to the back of the backglass.
Honestly, if that's the only flaw in the backglass, you have a really nice BTTF backglass. I wouldn't touch it. You would be hard pressed to find another one.

Yeah thats the ONLY thing...heres better pics of both sides of the whole glass...

03 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

I've printed out small areas that are bad and taped them to the back of the glass. I think it looks better than the hole and it's easily reversible if you don't like it or sell it and the next person doesn't like it. It doesn't look great but I think it's better than the hole.

Edit: I make sure to seal the glass with triple thick before I do this so it doesn't get worse and the tape won't peel off more paint when removed.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

I've printed out small areas that are bad and taped them to the back of the glass. I think it looks better than the hole and it's easily reversible if you don't like it or sell it and the next person doesn't like it. It doesn't look great but I think it's better than the hole.
Edit: I make sure to seal glass with triple thick before I do this so it doesn't get worse and the tape won't peel off more paint when removed.

Personally, I wouldn't triple thick a glass that is otherwise perfect. That hole was created by the display scratching against it, not flaking or delamination. I will only triple thick a glass that is flaking or delaminating to prevent it from getting worse, but not a glass that does not otherwise need that preventative measure since there is a small possibility that issues can arise from resorting to it.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I wouldn't triple thick a glass that is otherwise perfect. That hole was created by the display scratching against it, not flaking or delamination. I will only triple thick a glass that is flaking or delaminating to prevent it from getting worse, but not a glass that does not otherwise need that preventative measure since there is a small possibility that issues can arise from resorting to it.

I've heard of the problems with using triple thick. I've used it about 5 or 6 times and haven't had any issues. I think the oldest is about 8 years ago. But there is always a chance of it making things worse as I have heard some bad stories with it.

#17 4 years ago

Yeah, I think everyone is right...I will leave it alone

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

I've heard of the problems with using triple thick. I've used it about 5 or 6 times and haven't had any issues. I think the oldest is about 8 years ago. But there is always a chance of it making things worse as I have heard some bad stories with it.

I have heard of some issues, but for the most part, I think it's been with the rustoleum variant, rather than the krylon variant. I haven't had any trouble with the krylon brand.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have heard of some issues, but for the most part, I think it's been with the rustoleum variant, rather than the krylon variant. I haven't had any trouble with the krylon brand.

I've always used krylon also. Maybe that is why I haven't had any issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-fill-in-flaked-off-areas-on-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.