Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210430-075928_Gallery (resized).jpg
    752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
    3DEC88C8-F72B-4DC8-AE0B-2FD47CDC220C.gif
    A64E8837-8295-4CB7-B4A5-F35C08FCBBB1 (resized).png
    AE417FE3-E8FD-4E6A-9DB5-AF82AE05816F (resized).png
    813D17B5-5E40-43ED-8A05-D1EB3A3612ED (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlemagne1987.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Anyone who's been paying any attention lately knows about the ridiculously high prices some sellers are putting on their games...JJP POTC's for $20K to $40K, Tron LE for $25K, etc. But even ones no longer considered exorbitant are crazy high...newer games regularly going for between $10K and $15K. Of course the market dictates prices and anyone is free to ask whatever they want for a game. But I'm wondering if this Wild West of pricing is ultimately hurting the hobby. Is it destined to become only a "rich man's hobby"? Will there be a normalization of prices eventually? Will these high prices prevent new blood from joining the hobby, thereby damaging pinball's future? I don't think any pinhead wants to see the dark days of the late 90s/early 2000s return. I hope we are not hastening that return with these crazy prices. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from cards25:

Do any of these new people ever think to look over the first few pages of threads before starting another price thread??? OP....You think you are the only one to think "prices really seem to be getting high, wonder if anyone else thinks the same way. I better start a thread."

If by "new" you mean someone who has been on pinside for over a year and a half, checking it nearly every day, then yeah! Okay. I'm also not new to the hobby, having bought my first pin in 2003. Just because I don't have the time or inclination to read through the hundreds of threads that have come before me doesn't give you cause to hit me with stupid ass sarcasm. I was looking for honest thoughts on the subject. If you don't want to give them go ahead and ride your high horse off to some other thread.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

half these goons think you are a newb if you have not been on here for 5 years. I have a friend who has been in the hobby since the 70's and he does not even know what pinside is.

I know, right? The snobbishness of some of these Pinsiders is simply amazing. I guess any idiot can hide behind a keyboard and think they're the Defender of the Pinside Realm.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

Yes, these prices prevent new blood from entering the hobby, especially when you weigh the use of this toy against other toys of similar cost.

That's what I was getting at. I've been encouraging some younger gamers to get into pinball, but when they see the prices of many of these games they balk and say they'd rather stick with what they can afford. And that, I fear, is bad for the hobby in the long run.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Look at this idiot down here.....
    [quoted image]

Exactly what I’m talking about.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

There are still deals out there. Couple months ago I got a No Fear for $1900.00. Last year I got a DE Star Wars for $1,500.00 and a Williams IJ for $2300.00.

Those are incredible deals. What kind of condition were the games in? Did you have to put much $ and man hours in to restore them?

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Both No Fear and IJ needed the GI and backbox connectors replaced, so figure $5 in parts and 90 minutes. No Fear needed a few bulbs and 2 flasher bulbs so maybe $3. No error messages on No Fear, it was amazing.
    IJ needed a LOT of bulbs replaced, the most of any game I've ever bought, half the damn GI was out. So figure $3.50 in bulbs and another 90 min. It also had the volume problem where it would get real loud out of nowhere, new sound chip was $25, 5 min to change. No other error messages.
    Star Wars had some leaky batteries but no board damage, changed the battery holder $5, 1 hour. Couple bulbs here and there.
    All 3 games got a Novus wipe down and all coulda used new rubber, the Star Wars and No Fear were sold to friends immediately who did just that. IJ got a slightly more thorough cleaning and changed some rubber but not a full blown shop job.
    No Fear cab was faded like most of them are. IJ and SW were both good. I was very lucky and passed them along for a very modest finders fee to a fellow Pinsider and co-worker. I kept Indy for myself.

That’s awesome

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlemagne1987.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-feel-about-these-exorbitant-pinball-prices?tu=charlemagne1987 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.