Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210430-075928_Gallery (resized).jpg
    752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
    3DEC88C8-F72B-4DC8-AE0B-2FD47CDC220C.gif
    A64E8837-8295-4CB7-B4A5-F35C08FCBBB1 (resized).png
    AE417FE3-E8FD-4E6A-9DB5-AF82AE05816F (resized).png
    813D17B5-5E40-43ED-8A05-D1EB3A3612ED (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

That's what I was getting at. I've been encouraging some younger gamers to get into pinball, but when they see the prices of many of these games they balk and say they'd rather stick with what they can afford. And that, I fear, is bad for the hobby in the long run.

The truth is, it's never been an affordable hobby. Even when NIB games were $4000 and used games were $1000-$5000 - those aren't impulse purchase prices for most people. One always needed space & disposable income for this hobby.

It's harder today than it used to be, but if you're patient & resourceful - you can still end up with a "cheap" pinball machine. Hunting them down and fixing them yourself used to be part of the hobby...you don't have to buy NIB Limited/Collectors Editions to be part of it.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from ruralcollector:

I wish this was still the case. The turds are way overpriced and if they are even remotely priced appropriately it will be gobbled up in seconds and relisted in days. Too many diamond hands looking for quick GAINS. It really has taken the joy out of the hobby.

Yeah it's def harder now as there's not as much inventory around any given town as there used to be....but, it can still happen with a little legwork and patience. I was buying a game or two a week off Craigslist for a while back around 2009-2010...there were plenty of vultures & flippers back then, too. Just had to be on the ball & beat them to the punch!

I think it's truly the "I want it now" and "I want it new" crowd that's driven prices up....and they're fine paying it, soooo...here we are. It SEEMS like it's bad for the hobby, yet it's expanded the hobbyists.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

this bubble is about to pop, I can feel it in my bones

Every time someone says this...or feels it...I say the same thing. Only thing that causes a pop or prices to fall is too many people selling the same titles at once coupled with lack of demand.

I just don't see that happening.

Even if a bunch of one title popped up at once...there'd be plenty of people to snap them up.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

That should be THE hobby.

There’s no one way to do this hobby. Everyone has different means, interests, time constraints, and abilities.

Some want to own one, some want 100, some just want to play on route. Some like tournaments, some just like man vs. machine. Some like to tinker, some pay a tech.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Hobbits are now selling for over $10k. I am at a loss for words. It was not long ago some would sit for months at $7k and some sold for $5800-$6500.

Ya know what? Good for those little guys.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I'm tellin yah, go digital! I have been playing pinball since I was a kid and just got a VR pin. 658 tables all in 4k with feedback. All the classics from 50's to TNA including Fathom. I don't even have to worry about installing anything, eventually updates will be automatic and have online compitition. Mechanical pins people pay $$ for will eventually become wood crates when technology takes over.

3DEC88C8-F72B-4DC8-AE0B-2FD47CDC220C.gif3DEC88C8-F72B-4DC8-AE0B-2FD47CDC220C.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-feel-about-these-exorbitant-pinball-prices?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.