Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by adol75
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6dc.gif

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Let’s face it, I suck at pinball. I have 2 games, I play at least once a day and often more, I train to hit the shots consistently, and I still suck.
    2 years later with WOZ I still haven’t passed the million and I still have not melted the witch. Unlike video games where practice always pays off, pinball still feels random especially the drains.
    So my new year resolution is to finally be lucky with my balls !

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Let’s face it, I suck at pinball. I have 2 games, I play at least once a day and often more, I train to hit the shots consistently, and I still suck.
    2 years later with WOZ I still haven’t passed the million and I still have not melted the witch. Unlike video games where practice always pays off, pinball still feels random especially the drains.

Drink heavily!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Unlike video games where practice always pays off, pinball still feels random

And that is what makes both arcade and pinball awesome!

I suck at both, but I enjoy both.

#5 4 years ago

The randomness of different layouts is exactly what makes pinball addicting.
    If frustrated, take a break or simply use games to practice trapping up to hone specific shots.
    Skills will improve, keep it fun and good luck!

#6 4 years ago

We bought our first machine almost 5 years ago. We weren’t any good then.... And now isn’t much better.... But it’s Fun!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Instead of playing pinball just trying to score the highest points,Read through the rule sheet and go after the achievements to aim for that shot to get to wizard mode.
    I never play a pin just to score points I always play to try and get wizard mode

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I never play a pin just to score points I always play to try and get wizard mode

The only game I have that I have a clue about getting to wizard mode is Oktoberfest, and I have not came close yet, because I suck.

I can never hit tent when I need to, and then when I need to hit other things I get the ball in the tent on and on.

BUT, pinball is awesome! Even in a very bad score game I have more fun than a good score arcade game.

#9 4 years ago

It's usually when I'm NOT trying that I end up playing well.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Drink heavily!

Dude, you’re speaking my language!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:It's usually when I'm NOT trying that I end up playing well.

I 100% agree with that.

#13 4 years ago

I'll never be as good as I would like to be, but the camaraderie and the very occasional besting of people much better than me keeps me coming back.

I agree about concentrating on certain goals helping. I have also found "smart" practice helps. Focusing on ball control first will make everyone much better. It has certainly helped me.

#14 4 years ago

I found if I take the glass off the game becomes much easier. Almost like GOD MODE!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

The only game I have that I have a clue about getting to wizard mode is Oktoberfest, and I have not came close yet, because I suck.
    I can never hit tent when I need to, and then when I need to hit other things I get the ball in the tent on and on.
    BUT, pinball is awesome! Even in a very bad score game I have more fun than a good score arcade game.

Same here, even worse I can never hit the Oktoberfest stand-ups in the ring toss mode. Any other time they seem to be hit all the time. If they would give points for hitting metal posts I would get GC on every game....

#16 4 years ago

Heres a bunch,

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj1kypAWfgD1vlZJO0hHjgG6S19OPGRCZ

If you get realy good be sure to send me some of that tournament price money!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Drink heavily!

Correct answer.
    Some of my best games ever where while intoxicated (at least I think so).

#18 4 years ago

OP- watch some videos on youtube-
    I love PAPA vids with Bowen Kerins.
    Really watch how he controls the ball. You won’t get good shooting accuracy until you get good ball control.
    These video are great for learning techniques and rules at the same time.

#19 4 years ago

double post

#20 4 years ago

Just don't become one of those ball fondlers. That crap annoys me. Just play the game.

#21 4 years ago
    6dc.gif6dc.gif
    #22 4 years ago

I 100% agree with that.

Ha! I agree also haha,I’d be test playing a game just shooting the ball in any direction and heck end up having a great game

#23 4 years ago

I've never been good at pinball.

When I do get to play pinball. I just enjoy it.

That's good enough for me.

Years past there were things I had to be good at. The best at. But for me, they weren't fun.

LTG : )

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've never been good at pinball.
    When I do get to play pinball. I just enjoy it.
    That's good enough for me.
    Years past there were things I had to be good at. The best at. But for me, they weren't fun.

You are awesome! Very full of wisdom!

#25 4 years ago

You are awesome! Very full of wisdom!

Thank you. Though I wouldn't go that far.

It is like golf. I started too late in life to be good at it. So I went in just looking for fun. Golfed almost 20 years. Had a blast. Pee on trees. Throw clubs. I was born to golf. I stopped about 1998. Tore up my back too many times. And the cost has about doubled.

And I miss it. Funny. I don't miss the things I had to be great at or the best at.

People just need to do what makes them happy.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you. Though I wouldn't go that far.
    It is like golf. I started too late in life to be good at it. So I went in just looking for fun. Golfed almost 20 years. Had a blast. Pee on trees. Throw clubs. I was born to golf. I stopped about 1998. Tore up my back too many times. And the cost has about doubled.
    And I miss it. Funny. I don't miss the things I had to be great at or the best at.

I’m probably the only guy on earth who managed to break his foot while golfing.

Quoted from pinmike:

Instead of playing pinball just trying to score the highest points,Read through the rule sheet and go after the achievements to aim for that shot to get to wizard mode.

My 2 games, WOZ and TSPP are famous for their impossible to get wizard modes. It makes me wonder if I’m not a masochist actually.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I’m probably the only guy on earth who managed to break his foot while golfing.

My 2 games, WOZ and TSPP are famous for their impossible to get wizard modes. It makes me wonder if I’m not a masochist actually.

That’s what makes the game more fun and challenging

#28 4 years ago

I’ll tell you what search the pinside database for “hot chicks and pinball” threads you’ll be a pinball champ in no time...Haha!!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And THAT is why I said you are awesome. YOU seem to be very happy here helping people with issues, and you are awesome with all that.

I only asked one question long ago and you jumped right on it and helped me.

Others have posted issues I was also having and you answered a lot more Pinsiders than you know.

Thank You LTG for being here and being so awesome!

#30 4 years ago

YOU seem to be very happy here helping people with issues,

Nothing makes me happier than when someone gets their game going and can enjoy it.

I'll always be grateful for the opportunity to make my little corner of pinball a little bit better.

My only hope has always been that those I helped. Learn. And in the future help others. So pinball keeps going long after I'm gone.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Practice more. Play in leagues and tournaments. Watch competitive matches on pinballvideos.com.

You said you’ve never broken a million on WOZ or melted the witch. Are you well versed in the best ways to achieve those feats? Look up iepinball on YouTube. Lots of awesome WOZ videos there.

#32 4 years ago

When the ball goes toward the drain, shake the game, don’t let it happen. Try everything to keep the ball rolling. Even slide the game around a bit. It’s ok. The game will tell you if you’re to rough. The tilt will sound off if you’ve went to far.

Don’t just let the ball do what it wants. It’s a world under glass and you’re a god.

#33 4 years ago

buy old games and fix them .. its not all about playing.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I’m probably the only guy on earth who managed to break his foot while golfing

You're not alone. Dislocated my knee trying out a different drive swing. I don't golf anymore.

#35 4 years ago

Disclaimer: I’m not that great of a player myself but I REALLY love playing.

That said, owning and regularly playing games will not necessarily improve your ability. As Cal Ripken is credited with saying, “Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.” In other words, you can play every day but unless you are practicing in a specific way to improve weaknesses, you will only get better at an ineffective approach. Pinball is goofy this way in that it’s a game that is fun even if you suck. Just enjoy playing, whatever the outcome.

If you want to improve, watch people play who are significantly better than yourself. Watch PAPA videos. Join a league. Figure out so the best players in the league are and play with/watch them whenever possible. Practice specific skills once in awhile like training yourself to allow a dead bounce to regain control rather than flipping on the fly. Practice drop catches, etc.

I bring several approaches to my machines: a training approach where I practice a specific skill, competitive play (playing with a mind geared towards ball control and the rule set of the game) and finally, pure fun play. For pure fun, I find that playing kind of recklessly (frequently batting the ball on the fly, not cradling much) is great chaotic fun even though my score is likely to be lower playing this way.

For your specific games, set reasonable goals for yourself. In WOZ for example, what about going for all the crystal ball modes (improves your aim for the spinner and gives you practice with the various altered flipper multi ball modes). Or just practice hitting the orbits and throne room shot on WOZ once in awhile. (Without good aim for those shots, melting the witch is unlikely.)

But above all, just be immersed in the game when you play. Enjoy the process!

#36 4 years ago

I’m a pretty crappy player but I just press start and play! works for me

#37 4 years ago

I usually play better when I am not too focused on scoring points, just focusing on getting shots right (any shots/order)....
    This is a consistent rule for me, if I want to follow a certain strategy, i normally do not do well.

The more I practice, the better I get at it, but the learning curve is different from video games.

Lastly, I am stubborn, so I stick to default settings, but if you are getting frustrated, make the game easier, add more balls, etc.... you will likely have more fun!

#38 4 years ago

Stop hitting both flippers buttons at the same time.... actually learn how to trap the ball then practice practice practice. The more you control then ball the more accurate you’re shots. Then start to see what shots are putting the ball in danger and avoid these shots when the ball saver is not on. Watch videos on you tube Bowen tutorials are a good place to learn strategy. Then practice practice practice....and have fun with it.

#39 4 years ago

Following

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

When the ball goes toward the drain, shake the game, don’t let it happen. Try everything to keep the ball rolling. Even slide the game around a bit. It’s ok. The game will tell you if you’re to rough. The tilt will sound off if you’ve went to far.

Maybe a slide save?

#41 4 years ago

Here's my 2 cents on Woz which can be difficult and has so many things to accomplish.

First, melting the witch for me is hard my success rate is seems like it's less than 10%.

Here's what I've done to make the game more enjoyable. and approachable.
    Set ball save to something that works for you and you guests.
    If you have set to 3 balls set extra balls based on scoring. Something like 125,000, 300,000 500,000 and 800,000. (that way if your having a good game it will continue if lousy try next time)
    Modify hits to the witch for witch hurry up.

Good luck

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from twhtalm:

You're not alone. Dislocated my knee trying out a different drive swing. I don't golf anymore.

I was in the rough and felt something on my foot, I looked down there was a small gray snake, I lifted my club, slammed the snake and missed it...

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Drink heavily!

This... but not heavily. I can't say why, but I do well after a beer. Problem is stopping at the one beer mark

I'm a fellow TSPP owner. Last night, was playing like total shit. Just about powered off the machine in frustration. The more frustrated I got, the worse I played. But, got an 80M game going, followed by a 117M game. Not lighting the leaderboards on fire, but best score I've had in the month I've had it.

Ultimately, this all needs to be fun. So, maybe focus on smaller objectives vs trying to get to Alien Invasion, etc.

One final note: Really try to make yourself dead flip as much as possible. I notice on TSPP especially, I tend to lose control due to trying too hard to trap up - especially trapping on the left side, where it goes up the left inlane and down the left outlane. When I make myself let i dead bounce, I have better control.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Don’t just let the ball do what it wants. It’s a world under glass and you’re a god.

100% this!! I have encountered many people that are literally afraid to nudge a machine or know that they even can for fear that they may break something or get in trouble by the establishment if its on route. It only takes one nudge from the very beginning to see how far you can really push a machine. One of my buddies has a habit of hard nudging every single machine that he plays before he even plunges the first ball just to gauge how much he can get away with during play LoL. Myself on the other hand, I like to take chances.

#45 4 years ago

I am NOT good, but still new, and having loads of fun. That said the other night i had a chocolate chip cookie and literally went from 40-50 million in Metallica to 130 million. Certainly nothing special, but very good for me. So, the key is cookies, special cookies, and bourbon.

#46 4 years ago

One of the top players in the world had been playing for 20ish years before he ever saw someone cradle a pinball while playing.

The skills that top players have today are the result of 50+ years of practice across millions of players. If you aren’t watching or learning from the best, it’s pretty unlikely that you’ll figure it out on your own.

That said, if you’re already having fun, then don’t sweat it. As I’ve gotten better, the actual game of pinball is less fun that it was before...and now the fun part is the competition.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjchand:

This... but not heavily. I can't say why, but I do well after a beer. Problem is stopping at the one beer mark
    I'm a fellow TSPP owner. Last night, was playing like total shit. Just about powered off the machine in frustration. The more frustrated I got, the worse I played. But, got an 80M game going, followed by a 117M game. Not lighting the leaderboards on fire, but best score I've had in the month I've had it.
    Ultimately, this all needs to be fun. So, maybe focus on smaller objectives vs trying to get to Alien Invasion, etc.
    One final note: Really try to make yourself dead flip as much as possible. I notice on TSPP especially, I tend to lose control due to trying too hard to trap up - especially trapping on the left side, where it goes up the left inlane and down the left outlane. When I make myself let i dead bounce, I have better control.

I owned a TSPP for five years and just sold it a few months back. I absolutely loved the game and used to be a massive fan of the show, but it's hard as hell, so it sat for all those years mostly unplayed. Definitely one of the most deep and difficult games that I have ever owned or played, really stingy on points and never got higher than 2nd place on mine Lol.

#48 4 years ago

I tend to play my best when Ive had about three beers. The trick is to keep that three beer level. That being said, I am still terrible...

#49 4 years ago

Start with a simple table, practice shot placement and ball control.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

100% this!! I have encountered many people that are literally afraid to nudge a machine or know that they even can for fear that they may break something or get in trouble by the establishment if its on route. It only takes one nudge from the very beginning to see how far you can really push a machine. One of my buddies has a habit of hard nudging every single machine that he plays before he even plunges the first ball just to gauge how much he can get away with during play LoL. Myself on the other hand, I like to take chances.

I'm like this..I barely ever nudge....but my games are only about 1" apart too...so...

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-enjoy-pinball-when-you-suck-at-pinball?hl=rampton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.