• Latest reply 10 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stle-3.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My STLE is great. How ever the speaker insignia do not illuminate very well at all. Any tricks or advise would be great. Thanks a million .

#3 10 years ago

http://pinballtoppers.com/STERN.html

Speaker light kit and acrylic design for Star Trek Pro / Premium or just a kit to enhance Star Trek LE.

Don't forget to get the Star Trek LE specific hardware.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks chief. But I did the WARP RAMP mod. I was referring to the speaker panel lights behind each speaker. Thet barely illuminate.

#6 10 years ago

I have the kit that DugFreez posted installed on mine. I highly recommend it.

#7 10 years ago

I can't say I understand that kit at all. I looks like they are just selling a taller, thicker plastic so it will catch more edge light....but the pics also show they have added some extra side lighting (which I'm guessing is not included with the plastics).

It seems strange that they wouldn't have pics of this installed with just what they are selling. I'm guessing more of the improvement from this is from the added side lighting that isn't even included in the kit that the actual spacer.

#8 10 years ago

I used the LED's from pinballtoppers and moved the flashers to the insignia's in the head of the game so they are brighter with 2X flashers in each side

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Thanks chief. But I did the WARP RAMP mod. I was referring to the speaker panel lights behind each speaker. Thet barely illuminate.

Guess I need to read better. Sorry about that. My LE speaker lights are a joke so I may have to do one of these. Seems silly that something needs to be done on this...one would think it would be good out of the box. Oh well.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Guess I need to read better. Sorry about that. My LE speaker lights are a joke so I may have to do one of these. Seems silly that something needs to be done on this...one would think it would be good out of the box. Oh well.

I don't really know what Stern did with this. The LE on display on the STERN tour at Expo lit up a lot better than what was released.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Totally agree.

Quoted from DugFreez:Don't forget to get the Star Trek LE specific hardware.

Dug I did look at the link . I suppose I am I bit slow. I was not sure what to order for the STLE. Any one snap any photo's . Pinbits or pinballtoppers ?

#12 10 years ago

You would need the following two items from that link...

Speaker Light Base Kit
Round Speaker Harware (Star Trek LE)

Here is a picture of it installed on my machine...

stle-3.jpgstle-3.jpg
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Keebler:

Speaker Light Base Kit

stle-3.jpg 360 KB

Thanks...I was looking for some pictures myself, but wasn't having a lot of luck.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Keebler:

Speaker Light Base Kit

stle-3.jpg 360 KB

How did you get your speaker panel to shine like that?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

How did you get your speaker panel to shine like that?

I got it chromed

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I used the LED's from pinballtoppers and moved the flashers to the insignia's in the head of the game so they are brighter with 2X flashers in each side

If you start moving stuff around like that - what happens when they actually code the speaker lighting to choreograph with gameplay? Your side insignias are gonna light up instead!

#17 10 years ago

looks nice, does the side rails are chromed also, i'd like to see a full picture of that kit/machine, can't remember seeing one like that before.

man, i love chrome.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

looks nice, does the side rails are chromed also, i'd like to see a full picture of that kit/machine, can't remember seeing one like that before.
man, i love chrome.

Thanks! I didn't chrome the whole thing, just the coin door, shooter housing, apron, fire/side emblems, and speaker panel. The rest I powder coated gloss black, including the speaker grills and wire ramps. I posted pictures of it on another thread here... http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/21#post-1572449

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you start moving stuff around like that - what happens when they actually code the speaker lighting to choreograph with gameplay? Your side insignias are gonna light up instead!

That is fine with me if the integration of the speaker light flashers are good ill work them back to the original spot.

#20 10 years ago

Dam cool idea. The only thing that worries me about that Speaker Light Base Kit is that the speaker lights are controlled by the software I think and when the new code is released it might utilize those speaker lights.

#21 10 years ago

oh man i love that door!

you have a very nice machine.

#22 10 years ago

If the flasher that was originally for the speakers is later integrated in the game in a nice fashion....it would be possible to wire the lighted speaker frames (from the speaker light kit) to behave just as the original flasher would.

It would take a bit of soldering and you would lose any color changing, fading or other effects from the kits, (as it would eliminate the RGB controller from the equation) but I'm also sure it would be a much more even and noticeable light with those light kit frames than you would get from the factory flasher.

As it is from factory....will you even notice IF they are integrated in the software?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

oh man i love that door!
you have a very nice machine.

Thanks man

#24 10 years ago

As it stand now at least on my machine you can barely make out the illumination. In a totally dark room.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I can't say I understand that kit at all. I looks like they are just selling a taller, thicker plastic so it will catch more edge light....but the pics also show they have added some extra side lighting (which I'm guessing is not included with the plastics).
It seems strange that they wouldn't have pics of this installed with just what they are selling. I'm guessing more of the improvement from this is from the added side lighting that isn't even included in the kit that the actual spacer.

Our speaker panel spacer for the LE machine improves the lighting transferred into the plastic. It is intended for use with modified lighting where it excels. In the pictorial guide there is a photo of the plastic with unmodified lighting on a short exposure, which would be representative of the plastic being installed on a machine without modified lighting.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinbits:

Our speaker panel spacer for the LE machine improves the lighting transferred into the plastic. It is intended for use with modified lighting where it excels. In the pictorial guide there is a photo of the plastic with unmodified lighting on a short exposure, which would be representative of the plastic being installed on a machine without modified lighting.

I took "unmodified" to mean without your product (as it came from the factory). I didn't realize all 4 of the example pictures had your plastic installed.

#27 10 years ago

the thicker plastic to transfer more light, real nice. I forget whether ebay or amazon, I'd picked up some little driver boards for LED's that'll run one off 1.5v by upping the voltage at a frequency, theyre REALLY bright when fed 3v, dont know if something like that might be helpful to get more out of what you have, so far I've used one of them to drive 2 LED's in parallel, both shine very brightly, slightly dimmer than just one LED but more total light out from the pair than the single. a similar circuit might be made for 12v smd LED strips to make them brighter without heating up. the little boards I have dont work with induvidual color changing blinking LED's, they stay stuck at light blue.

1 week later
#28 10 years ago

I should just order a lighting kit. But would like to keep it original. Any of you install the PinBits plastic ? And have any photos Thanks

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I should just order a lighting kit. But would like to keep it original. Any of you install the PinBits plastic ? And have any photos Thanks

??

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Pinbits has pics posted:

http://mrtn.smugmug.com/Other/Star-Trek-Speaker-Panel/35830678_jH2xPT#!i=3005984845&k=fhb7Sfc

Pic 1 back of left speaker with added lights.
Pic 2 back of left speaker with added lights again
Pic 3 left speaker with their plastic and added lights (lights on in the room)
Pic 4 right speaker with their plastic and no added lights (lights on in the room)
Pic 5 right speaker with their plastic and no added lights (lights off in the room)
Pic 6 left speaker with their plastic and added lights (lights off in the room)

I think I have those descriptions correct.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-enhance-stle-speaker-insignia-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.