fig-6 (resized).jpg
fig-5 (resized).jpg
fig-4 (resized).jpg
fig-3 (resized).jpg
fig-2 (resized).jpg
fig-1 (resized).jpg
fig-0 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

First of all let me say that this is very simple to do, takes about 20 minutes to do. I don’t know how other meters might be, as I’ve only ever seen this one, a Gottlieb year 1972. Maybe someone can let us know…
In any case, I’m sure they are all based on the same principal; basic odometer mechanics.
By the way, they are not made by Gottlieb but bought from ENM Company- see at enmco.com.
The basic principal fig:0 : The first “digit” has a sprocket in the center of the reel. Each time the coil is activated the arm comes down, which pushes down the big white plastic part, and that makes the first digit turn one tenth of a turn = one number.
From the second digit , to the sixth they are constantly connected to a black sprocket below, and If you look at the first digit, between the 4 and 5 you can see a little “indent” .
When the first reel turns, that “indent” comes in contact the black sprocket between the first and second digits, it turns the black sprocket 1 tenth, which in turn, turns the second digit 1 number.
That’s how you go from 000009 to 000010, and so on…

Taking apart is always easy. In the photo, fig, I show only one screwdriver, but that did not work. I had to use 2 in order to remove the circlip.
I used a paper clamp throughout cause I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Luckily for me it was the perfect size, but you really only need it for reassembly. At one stage all the reels were separated. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of all the reels to show you the difference, sorry !
Once you’ve removed the circlip, you can take out the axel, fig:2 and remove the wheels to see where the problem is.
fig:3 This is what the plastic part that goes up and down when the coil is activated looks like on the inside ,
In my case the problem was a piece broken on the big plastic fig:4.
I fixed it using a ball of foil paper! fig:5. I don’t know for how long, but it work fine.
http://jm-thoridnet.fr/flipper/one reel.mp4
Reassembly
Place all the reels on the axel to align them, and add the clamp fig:6. (If you look on the left side in the red circle, which is the first reel, you can see the sprocket).
You can now remove the axel fig:7.
fig:8 : These are the parts to reassemble.
Now take the clamp with the reels, add the spring and the washer, place them back in the unit, making sure the little black spockets are in the right positions, and add the axel. All that is left is to add the circlip.
Finished product:
http://jm-thoridnet.fr/flipper/fixed.mp4
Just put the cover back on and place back in the machine.

fig-0 (resized).jpgfig-0 (resized).jpgfig-1 (resized).jpgfig-1 (resized).jpgfig-2 (resized).jpgfig-2 (resized).jpgfig-3 (resized).jpgfig-3 (resized).jpgfig-4 (resized).jpgfig-4 (resized).jpgfig-5 (resized).jpgfig-5 (resized).jpgfig-6 (resized).jpgfig-6 (resized).jpgfig-7 (resized).jpgfig-7 (resized).jpgfig-8 (resized).jpgfig-8 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

The most common failure is the little post breaks off the first reel that gets nudged by the slider. Any proposed fix for this, Ive got three dead counters on my bench.

#3 5 years ago

I sat one night and rewound my play meter to zero when I finished bringing one of my machines back to life. Now I know how many plays I have on the machine.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

The most common failure is the little post breaks off the first reel that gets nudged by the slider. Any proposed fix for this, Ive got three dead counters on my bench.

3D printed?

#5 5 years ago

Reminds me of the days when my job was to alter odometers. Just kidding.

#6 5 years ago

Ooops, forgot the underscore on the name :

http://jm-thoridnet.fr/flipper/one_reel.mp4
On this video you can clearly see the indent going aroud, and finally turning the black sprocket bellow, which when it does, turns the next reel...

Pinhead52 : I did'nt see any "post" anyhere on my reels; could you show a picture ?

You cant rewind these meters back, but if you push the reels towards the spring, you can turn them back to whatever you want.
I was at around 158890, so I put it on 160000.
So as of this year, I known how many games played.
PS Happy New Year to all...

#7 5 years ago

If you want to turn back your meter, here's another tried and true method!

"Watch the speedometer!" XD

(That car is fine BTW, it was HUO and just needs a fuse.)

#8 5 years ago

The way I did mine (mid 1970s Bally EM) was to remove the cover of the meter and then mechanically push the the actuator half way to release the cam. Then I spun digit one backwards. Then it incrementally reduce digits. Yes, totally time consuming. I didn't want to totally disassemble the unit. It took 30 minutes or less while I watched tv one evening.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

If you want to turn back your meter, here's another tried and true method!

"Watch the speedometer!" XD
(That car is fine BTW, it was HUO and just needs a fuse.)

I really enjoyed that snippet with Danny DeVito but a weird thing happened. I thought I should get the movie-Matilda and put it on an ebay watch list. Separately I had recorded the final of the womens tennis final at the Sydney International tournament but the damn recording expired prior to the final set tiebreaker due to it being diverted to a different channel. But low and behold what then came on in its entirety was Matilda-enjoyed the movie kids stuff and all!

#11 5 years ago

I put an order in back in July, never was able to get them to ship the stuff I needed.

There are some items shown I could use at reasonable prices.

Has anyone placed an order with them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-disassemble-and-reasssemble-a-total-play-meter?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.