(Topic ID: 253119)

How to Disable Extra Balls on Stern Stingray?

By ekthoren

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm trying to disable extra balls on Stern Stingray. You can put it in novelty mode but it doesn't disable the extra balls and you can make the specials worth 100,000. Anyone know how to disable extra balls on this game?

#2 4 years ago

There is no way to disable Extra Ball as designed. It's going to require a ROM modification. You will need access to an EPROM programmer to go down this route.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

There is no way to disable Extra Ball as designed. It's going to require a ROM modification. You will need access to an EPROM programmer to go down this route.

Which means there's no way to disable it on Stern Pinball either, since it's the same rom. You want to tackle this one?

I guess no tournaments really use either title as this is the first time it's come up? Any other early mpu100 sterns that have this issue? (I already know about Dragonfist's)

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Any other early mpu100 sterns that have this issue?

Had a quick look, it's only Pinball / Stingray that doesn't have an Extra Ball disable dipswitch.

Quoted from slochar:

You want to tackle this one?

I presume your plate is full, but if you want this easy one go ahead otherwise I'll find time in a day or so and tie the option to one of the many unused dipswitches.

#5 4 years ago

This game was at Pinburgh and I put up some good games and don't recall getting an extra ball, so I'd assume that they found a way to disable extra balls.

#6 4 years ago

Quench
I have an eprom programmer so if you can modify the ROM that would be awesome!
Thank you

#7 4 years ago

If you’re going to make it worth points instead of extra ball I would only go 10K or 25K since it’s fairly easy to collect

#8 4 years ago

I never seem to collect the EB on mine. There might be a setting to have it change lanes or be on both lanes? I would have to check but that sounds familiar.
Mine switches lanes and it seems like the ball always goes in the opposite one.

#9 4 years ago

Yes there is a setting to have it switch lanes or both lanes be lit. But no setting to either disable it or give extra points instead of extra ball when collecting it.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from ekthoren:

Yes there is a setting to have it switch lanes or both lanes be lit. But no setting to either disable it or give extra points instead of extra ball when collecting it.

Do the lanes do anything else useful? How crazy of an idea would it be to just disable the switches?

Either way...I'm super excited to see this one added to Titletown! Stingray was my first game...wish I would have kept it. Will be great to revisit it, and I'm sure yours will look and play way better than mine did!

#11 4 years ago

My plan was to disable the inlane switches if no ROM update was available. The only thing they do is always give you 5k points and extra ball if lit.

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

I'm not sure if you'll like this approach but I wanted to keep it in the spirit of the other early Sterns. Let me know if you don't like it.

DIP switch 26 Off disables the Saucers extra ball feature.
DIP switch 26 On enables the Saucers extra ball feature.

When it's set to off, the Saucer now lights the "5,000" score instead of "Lites Extra Ball lane".
Other DIP switch game options of awarding extra balls instead of credits are unchanged. Same as other Sterns.

There is some unused code in this game that points to feature lamps which are not wired - I haven't investigated what they were meant to be.

Open the U2 ROM in a HEX editor and change the following:

Offset, original byte, new byte
$063: $E1 ---> $7F
$280: $11 ---> $1E
$281: $CB ---> $34

Open the U6 ROM in a HEX editor and change the following:
$4E4: $12 ---> $1B
$634: $00 ---> $D6
$635: $00 ---> $50
$636: $00 ---> $C5
$637: $00 ---> $02
$638: $00 ---> $26
$639: $00 ---> $09
$63A: $00 ---> $CE
$63B: $00 ---> $1E
$63C: $00 ---> $4A
$63D: $00 ---> $08
$63E: $00 ---> $4A
$63F: $00 ---> $26
$640: $00 ---> $FC
$641: $00 ---> $A6
$643: $00 ---> $97
$644: $00 ---> $1B
$645: $00 ---> $CE
$646: $00 ---> $85
$647: $00 ---> $08
$648: $00 ---> $7E
$649: $00 ---> $11
$64A: $00 ---> $CB
$64B: $00 ---> $01
$64C: $00 ---> $02
$64D: $00 ---> $05
$64E: $00 ---> $03
$64F: $00 ---> $05

Save and burn replacement 2716 EPROMs.

2 years later
#13 2 years ago

I've just tried this on my Stingray, works great! Thanks

1 week later
#14 2 years ago

Quench
Would it be possible to further develop this with minimizing the randomness of the saucer?
Something like it will only change the reward of the saucer when the saucer has been hit instead of some switch hits?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from frsj8112:

Something like it will only change the reward of the saucer when the saucer has been hit instead of some switch hits?

Yes, I can take a look.

So something like in this order?
(1) 5k
(2) Lite Spinner and Stingray Lane
(3) Double Bonus
(4) 55k
(5) Lite Extra Ball Lane (if enabled, or back up to 5k at (1) if disabled)

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes, I can take a look.
So something like in this order?
(1) 5k
(2) Lite Spinner and Stingray Lane
(3) Double Bonus
(4) 55k
(5) Lite Extra Ball Lane (if enabled, or back up to 5k at (1) if disabled)

That would be really cool. Stingray is a fun game, but absolutely terrible for tournaments since the 55k is purely random and whoever gets it is practically assured the victory. You have to have a heck of a game to compete with someone who luckily fell in the 55k hole on the plunge. It should never be in a tournament as is in my opinion.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

That would be really cool. Stingray is a fun game, but absolutely terrible for tournaments since the 55k is purely random and whoever gets it is practically assured the victory. You have to have a heck of a game to compete with someone who luckily fell in the 55k hole on the plunge. It should never be in a tournament as is in my opinion.

With a proper plunge you can move the pointer before the ball gets to the saucer.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

With a proper plunge you can move the pointer before the ball gets to the saucer.

Sort of. That's still a whole lot of luck from the rubber.

#19 2 years ago

I'm looking at this now, it seems pointless to have the saucer relight potential for 2X, Spinner/Stingray lanes, and Extra Ball lane when the features are already lit.

Is it preferable to make the saucer alternate between 5k and 55k after the above mentioned are achieved? (seems too generous).
Or is it better to make 55k achievable only once per ball so the saucer lamp stops at 5k and no longer changes on the same ball?

i.e. Saucer lamp sequence:
(1) 5k
(2) "Lite the Spinner and Stingray Lanes"
(3) 5k
(4) "Lite Double Bonus"
(5) 5k
(6) 55k
(7) 5k
(8) "Lite Extra Ball Lane" (if enabled, otherwise just go back to (7) if disabled and stay there)

1 month later
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I'm looking at this now, it seems pointless to have the saucer relight potential for 2X, Spinner/Stingray lanes, and Extra Ball lane when the features are already lit.
Is it preferable to make the saucer alternate between 5k and 55k after the above mentioned are achieved? (seems too generous).
Or is it better to make 55k achievable only once per ball so the saucer lamp stops at 5k and no longer changes on the same ball?
i.e. Saucer lamp sequence:
(1) 5k
(2) "Lite the Spinner and Stingray Lanes"
(3) 5k
(4) "Lite Double Bonus"
(5) 5k
(6) 55k
(7) 5k
(8) "Lite Extra Ball Lane" (if enabled, otherwise just go back to (7) if disabled and stay there)

Sounds good to me

1 week later
#21 2 years ago

Done,
I've made other updates to the software and have created a separate topic for it.

Find details here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stingray-stern-1977-software-update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-disable-extra-balls-on-stern-stingray and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.