how to diagnose weak sling

By Turkey_Robinson

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm looking for some information on figuring out what is wrong with the slingshot. It is lacking in power. It doesn't pop as hard as the other. The coil itself is not the model that the manual specifies. I think it might have been the coil from the kicker that previous owners switched in when the sling in question broke the last time. Do the slingshots have a board they run with like the pop bumper driver board? I just want to try and figure this out a little more before I try doing it. It might not be the coil at all, but I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Is it binding mechanically at all? When you move it with your fingers, does it give resistance (relative to the other sling)? You mentioned the previous owner replaced the coil. Was it the correct coil?

#3 10 years ago

Normally, you'd start with ruling out mechanical issues...if it doesn't move as freely as the opposite, dig in and find out why. Sleeve, plunger, bracket alignment, bent arm, gummy pivot points.

In your case, if the coil isn't correct and the same as the opposite, that's a really excellent clue.

To test that probability, swap the working coil into the problem bracket.

Also, check voltage to the coil and compare to the working side.

#4 10 years ago

Forgot to tell you to check the linkage. If it is sloppy, especially relative to the working side, you'll need to replace that. Looking at the two linkages on either side, if one looks nice and new(er) and the bad one doesn't, that's another excellent clue that they were both old and sloppy and one broke and got replaced.

#5 10 years ago

What game is this? That will help us all - some games work differently, and then there are different coils as well.

#7 10 years ago

I tested the voltage at each coil and they are reading roughly the same. Nothing looks out of order mechanically speaking. I've got a new coil that the manual recommends I just don't have a new diode. Do you think I could swap the diode from the old coil to the new one or should I just wait and get a new diode altogether considering they're 20 cents or so?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Turkey_Robinson:

Do you think I could swap the diode from the old coil to the new one or should I just wait and get a new diode altogether considering they're 20 cents or so?

You could probably reuse the old one, but besides being cheap, new diodes are readily available. Go down to Radio Shack and pick up a few 1N4004's. Haven't found a Radio Shack yet that doesn't carry them.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Turkey_Robinson:

I tested the voltage at each coil and they are reading roughly the same. Nothing looks out of order mechanically speaking. I've got a new coil that the manual recommends I just don't have a new diode. Do you think I could swap the diode from the old coil to the new one or should I just wait and get a new diode altogether considering they're 20 cents or so?

The diode is to protect the MPUs circuitry from the back current induced by the collapse of the magnetic field. Considering they are cheap, best to use a new diode.

#10 10 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll post back in a few days when I have a chance to get to radio shack.

1 week later
#11 10 years ago

I replaced the coil and it worked perfectly. Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-diagnose-weak-sling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.