(Topic ID: 193320)

How to create the ultimate pallet

By flashinstinct

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

step7.pdf (PDF preview)
    step8.pdf (PDF preview)
    step10.pdf (PDF preview)
    step9.pdf (PDF preview)
    step11.pdf (PDF preview)
    step4.pdf (PDF preview)
    step6.pdf (PDF preview)
    step5.pdf (PDF preview)
    step3.pdf (PDF preview)
    step2.pdf (PDF preview)
    step1.pdf (PDF preview)
    image1 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

We all know what happens during shipping. I've heard horror stories and experienced them first hand. Last time I shipped a game I create a crate on that not only traveled over 2600 miles but did so without a scratch. There are ultimately two variations of the crate pending budget and how much you want to protect the game. As long as you have a drill , #8 drill bit and a drill bit to make holes you are set. Is this overkill...perhaps.....will it increase your chances of getting your game in one piece absolutely.

*DISCLAIMER*
    This will not protect however from idiots on forklifts. If someone wants to destroy a game they will.

Option #1 is about $60 while option 2 is about $100.
    Shown in the picture below is option 2.

In order to create the palette you just need to head to your local hardware store where they offer free wood cutting. Hell why would you waste time setting up in the garage when the store will do it for you.

Option 1 & 2 will need
    1 2x4 (16') - $7
    1 2x4 (12') - $6
    1 pack of 50+ #8 2.5" screws - $7
    4 sets of - eye loops bolts (closed loop) + 1" washer + nut - $5
    1 set of tie down straps (2 straps min required), they sell a set of 4 for like $12.
    1 roll of wrapping
    Partial piece of OSB

Option 2 also needs
    1 pack of 50+ #8 1 1/4 screws
    6 2x2 (8') - try to pick the straightest ones
    4 OSB 4x8 sheets (3/8")

!!!!---OPTION 1----!!!!
    Ask the Lumber guy to cut the 2x4 (16' / 192') in the following pieces
    3 x 32.875" (32 7/8")
    2 x 38"
    4 x 4"

Cut second 2x4 (14') in the following pieces
    4 x 35.875 (35 7/8")
    4 x 5.875 (5 7/8")

There should essentially be nothing left of both studs once cut

To finish option 1 you will just need 1 more piece of OBS 3/8" sized 35"x 29 7/8 ". If you are choosing option #2 do not include this step as you will need all 4 sheets of OSB and will create that piece with different dimensions.
    Option 1 finishes at step 6. You've essentially built a pallet to make the game transport ready. You will need to wrap the game wit lots of cardboard layers if you go this route and wrap the hell out of it with micron film.

!!!!---OPTION 2----!!!!
    All of option 1 materials are needed for option 2 apart from the additional OSB sheet mentioned above.
    Ask the Lumber guy to cut the 2x2 (8' / 96') in the following pieces
    4 - 58"
    2 - 35"
    2 - 29.875" (29 7/8")
    Unfortunately you will have leftover...nothing to be done about that.

Ask then for the 4 sheets of OSB to be cut in 8 pieces.
    This is what will add weight and is the most expensive addition but will add the greatest protection.
    2 x 3.5 x 35 7/8"
    2 x 38 x 55 3/8"
    1 x 38 x 32 7/8"
    1 x 35"x 29 7/8 "
    2 x 33 5/8" x 55 3/8"
    Again left over but what can you do.

CONCLUSION ALL these cuts ensure that you wont have to use a skill saw once you get home. All the pieces will be ready to assemble. I do however suggest you pilot hole the wood to make sure it doesn't crack... especially the 2x2s.

image1 (resized).JPGimage1 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

further instructions to follow

step3.pdfstep3.pdf
    step4.pdfstep4.pdf

step5.pdfstep5.pdf

step6.pdfstep6.pdf
    step7.pdfstep7.pdf
    step8.pdfstep8.pdf

step9.pdfstep9.pdf
    step10.pdfstep10.pdf
    step11.pdfstep11.pdf

#5 6 years ago

Useful info, but I clicked this thinking it would be about an assortment of colors and paints for touchups and the like. I think the title word you're looking for is "pallet"...

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Useful info, but I clicked this thinking it would be about an assortment of colors and paints for touchups and the like. I think the title word you're looking for is "pallet"...

That's the french coming out. Title fixed.

#7 6 years ago

Final notes. Make sure you mark the side opf the crate that hold the bottom of the cabinet as "Truck this side only" That transporters don't tilt the game on the wrong side when they move it around. Also add DO NOT STACK ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-create-the-ultimate-palette and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.