(Topic ID: 232410)

How to convince family to get a machine?

By gottliebgameroom

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monty hall.gif
    ED71742D-4407-4408-BB1C-1E14D4064722.gif
    D11CCFFB-BC87-45F3-921B-B1B17476B819.gif
    2FB7BD2F-E48C-4E7D-82F3-9907A7497751.gif
    Screenshot_20181225-083925_Google (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Lots of good suggestions here. But like AFM said, it would be helpful to know your family's objections. Also, if your parents have any disposable income you will have a far easier time. Money doesn't grow on trees. Here are some thoughts with a creative spin to help get your parents over the line:

1) Its a great investment in YOU as a child. Site the skills required to maintain and refurbish a machine. You will learn how to safely diagnose and repair printed circuit boards, and how those boards work with things like switches to control things like solenoids. Site people like Jeri Elsworth (inventor), and be prepared to show them two of her many impressive youtube videos- one on her pinball machines (like LED mod on TZ), and then another on her core engineering / work stuff.

2) Its a neutral to favorable investment from a financial perspective and is LIQUID. You aren't going to lose money, and you may even make a little bit at the end. If they have any disposable income, its a place to park a little cash. You or they can sell it in a pinch to generate cash as needed.

3) Differentiates you from other children. Similar to point 1, but a key heartstring to pull and worth its own bullet. Not only will a pinball machine result in significantly less screen time (see bullet below) but it will instill a great set of skills and give you a healthy passion to pursue in your life.

4) Less screen time. If your parents are remotely concerned about your screen time, this will pull you away from screens and get you in the real world more.

5) Your home as a destination. This is HUGE for parents of teens. Parents want a place where their child's friends WANT to be. They will be able to keep better tabs on you, know you are safe, and be seen as cool parents. A pinball machine is an anchor for this outcome, and is far less expensive than a pool.

6) Find out if your mom or dad were fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation, or even Twilight Zone (or other current themes, Simpsons, Family Guy, Spider Man, etc etc). If they are, you can use this as an additional carrot to get their support. Even if you don't end up with something of the caliber of STTNG, TZ, or SM, it might get their wheels turning a bit on the possibilities.

7) Meet them in the middle. Generate some of your own cash and ask them to match you.

If you present your case along these points, and push a bit, I have no doubt you will be successful. If your parents on the other hand need to take out a loan for a machine, start saving cause you will have to go it alone.

#52 5 years ago

Sorry for being so late with the response. It's probably a 75% space and 25% cost thing, but I think I could earn all the money to buy one and it still wouldn't fly because of the space issue.

#53 5 years ago

Tables and other furniture are soooo overrated!

#54 5 years ago

Most Em's are pretty small so not much of a footprint.

#55 5 years ago

Keep it in your room.throw out your dresser if you have to and get some bins under the game for your clothes

#56 5 years ago

Good (sort of) news! I will probably be allowed to get one in June for no apparent reason but hey, it's better than not at all! Thanks for all your help guys!

#57 5 years ago

That's great news! In the meantime, even though you're already approved, why not try to whet the parents appetite a little (so THEY'LL want it, too) and show them some YouTube vids of Pintastic, or any other good shows. Stay away form tournament coverage as that's about as exciting as watching paint dry. It'd be really cool if you guys were all into this as a family. Best of luck & welcome to the addiction!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from gottliebgameroom:

Good (sort of) news! I will probably be allowed to get one in June for no apparent reason but hey, it's better than not at all! Thanks for all your help guys!

Parents: "If we tell him he can have one in June, we'll get five months of peace and quiet. Then in June, we'll say October..."

#59 5 years ago

Awesome news, you'll be flippin' in no time!

#60 5 years ago

Glad to hear, plenty of time to research what you really want, while you save the money. And you can look through the house for that spot no one thought of that would be perfect for your pin.

1 week later
    #61 5 years ago

Later I thought, bring it home and announce and it apologize. Get the one you really want.

#62 5 years ago

The game will be on your floor and you will be playing it

#63 5 years ago
    monty hall.gifmonty hall.gif
    #64 5 years ago

I've almost decided on getting a King Pin, as long as it's in my price range of up to 1000, and at least fair condition, working. If anyone has any that they are willing to let go, please let me know, but know that I wouldn't be buying it until June or later (see post 56).

#65 5 years ago

Kingpin is rare.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/kingpin

It is currently being remade, but so few were made the originals are gold now. Platinum. Unobtanium.

Unless you get on board with the remake of kingpin, it will be expensive and difficult to obtain the game at all.

Best of luck. I would like one too.

#66 5 years ago

I've almost decided on getting a King Pin, as long as it's in my price range of up to 1000, and at least fair condition, working. If anyone has any that they are willing to let go, please let me know, but know that I wouldn't be buying it until June or later (see post 56).

Do you mean the 1973 EM Gottlieb Kingpin? Even though it is an old game, it still may be hard to find that specific title. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1374

#67 5 years ago

For $1000 you might want to to look into the best availabe option,your going to have a rough time picking a single title then finding it local on a budget.

#68 5 years ago

almost decided on getting a King Pin, as long as it's in my price range of up to 1000, and at least fair condition, working. If anyone has any that they are willing to let go, please let me know, but know that I wouldn't be buying it until June or later

Where are you located? Do you need it delivered? If you're picking it up yourself do you have a suitable dolly and tools to remove the legs and (possibly) head?

With a budget of $1000, shipping isn't really practical. That's 20-40% of your budget right there. Watch your local market for tables to have a general idea of prices. Get involved with your local pinball scene, let people know you're looking.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Get involved with your local pinball scene, let people know you're looking.

This, 1000x.

This will be the key to making a happy purchase in budget. You’ll likely need help. Not that I’m expressing specific doubts, but every n00b could benefit from learning from nearly locals. Making friends in the local community and expressing what you’re trying to make happen will also make more opportunities appear. Sometimes someone may be on the fence on selling something, and knowing it’ll be appreciated, might shake something loose for a decent price for a new friend.

#70 5 years ago

Yes, I meant the 1973 gottlieb EM. It would be good if it were somewhere in the DC-Metro area. I have a dolly and tools. I do usually check CL and facebook marketplace regularly.

#71 5 years ago

Yes, I meant the 1973 gottlieb EM

If you can find one, it should be well under 1000.00

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

If you can find one, it should be well under 1000.00

There was a guy on here that had an archived ad from around August '18 and it was around 800, I was planning on maybe PMing him to ask about it.

#73 5 years ago

Same advise I've given most new buyers. Unless you have some sentimental reason to go after one machine, don't limit your search to only one machine. If your budget is $1,000 make a list of a few dozen machines you'd be interested in, the more the better. Sure you can have a favorite in there, but finding that one machine, at a decent price, in your area can take years. Plus, no matter how much of a keeper you think a game is eventually you'll get the itch for something new. That's hard to think about when first looking, but this hobby is sustained by most of us developing that feeling.

#74 5 years ago

the 1973 gottlieb EM. It would be good if it were somewhere in the DC-Metro area.

#king-pin-gottlieb
    Unless you know of one for sale it's very unlikely you'll find a specific title, in your area. Most of them have not survived. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1374
    You have plenty of time before June to figure that out. If you can't find it, consider the add-a-ball version Pin-Up as noted at the IPDB link above.
    Get in touch with NicoVolta at the Roanoke Pinball Museum. https://roanokepinball.org
    He is an excellent educator and if there is a King Pin around he'll probably know.

#75 5 years ago

King Pins come up quite frequently in the northeast, I have had 3 King Pins & 1 Pin up (which is the AAB version) over the years. I keep wanting the game back after I sell it cause it's such a fun player....

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-convince-family-to-get-a-machine/page/2?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.