Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140812_144628.jpg
    20140812_144652.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-382.jpg
    image-610.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I keep hearing about people doing this and I have two extra subwoofers sitting around that I'm not using. One is powered and the other is not. How exactly do you guys connect them to your pins? Is there a Vid's Guide to hooking up an external sub post that I can't find?

Thanks much!

#2 9 years ago

I just put a couple of alligator clips on the end of the speaker wire and attached it to the posts. My subs also allow two inputs so I have two pins hooked up to each sub. Easy peasy.

#3 9 years ago

I wouldn't use the non-powered one as that may put too much load on your sound board amp. What Chemixtry said: just make up a cable that goes from your pinball lower cab speaker (alligator clips) to the input on your sub. Adjust volume and crossover on sub to liking. Makes a world of difference.

Mike

#4 9 years ago

My powered sub connects via a single line cable. I'll have to post some pictures. I'm not sure what I would alligator clip it to.

The non-powered sub connects via normal speaker wire and clips make perfect sense there.

#5 9 years ago

Here are some pictures. How would I hook this to a game? Or can it be hooked to a game??

image.jpgimage.jpg image-610.jpgimage-610.jpg image-382.jpgimage-382.jpg
    #6 9 years ago

You need to have a cable that has the RCA, like in your last pic, for the sub side. Then on the other end you will need the cable split open exposing the center tap wire and the ground (shield) wire. Connect an alligator clip to each (solder or crimp). Run these to the speaker in the bottom of your pin and connect to each speaker terminal. I would solder for best results. Also I would test with a meter to check for proper continuity and shorts prior to hooking up. In this case polarity shouldn't matter. Good luck!

Mike

#7 9 years ago

+1 for the alligator clip method. I got some decent speaker wire, some alligator clips, and then I pass the wire through the bottom after lifting up some of the grating.

Also +1 for making sure your sub has its own power source.

#8 9 years ago

Do you also clip right to the cabinet speaker or disconnect and clip to the wires themselves?

#9 9 years ago

I clip right to the speaker without disconnecting the existing one, and I've had no problems. Anyone care to comment on if this is good/bad?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

In this case polarity shouldn't matter.

By that do you mean it doesn't matter which of the two cables goes to which side of the sub in the game? I do not think RCA and speaker cable exists as an over the counter purchase. I'll check though.

#11 9 years ago

never mind... they do seem to exist... this is what I need right?

ebay.com link: Philmore 7 ft RCA Male Shielded Cable To Bare Wire 18AWG Speaker Subwoofer

#12 9 years ago

Yes, that's what you need. But you can save some bucks and just use an old RCA to anything cable and cut it yourself..if you have one. IF not, that link will work. Just add the alligator clips. As far as polarity goes--correct, in this case won't matter which way you clip to speaker. And yes I always leave the cab speaker connected. Just adds some mid-range that might be missing with just the sub and top speakers connected. Let us know how it sounds!

Mike

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

Yes, that's what you need. But you can save some bucks and just use an old RCA to anything cable and cut it yourself..if you have one. IF not, that link will work. Just add the alligator clips. As far as polarity goes--correct, in this case won't matter which way you clip to speaker. And yes I always leave the cab speaker connected. Just adds some mid-range that might be missing with just the sub and top speakers connected. Let us know how it sounds!
    Mike

What do you mean by " And yes I always leave the cab speaker connected. Just adds some mid-range that might be missing with just the sub and top speakers connected."

#14 9 years ago

Above you asked if you connect the sub to the cab speaker wires only or leave the cab speaker connected. Did I misunderstand that question? I just suggested you leave the lower cab speaker connected and clip to the speaker terminals without disconnecting the cab speaker. If you disconnect the existing cab speaker you might be missing out on the mids of the sound output. That's all. Make sense?

Mike

#15 9 years ago

Yes, thanks. All clear.

#16 8 years ago

Polk psw10 looks like it has an RCA input and 2 sets of inputs with speaker wire for the left and right. Should you use the RCA like above or just one channel? Both channels?

#17 8 years ago
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    #18 8 years ago

Just one set is how I've done it and it works fine.

#19 8 years ago

The RCA inputs are line level inputs. If you are tapping your cab wires with alligator clips, you input into the sub into the speaker level inputs. At least how most of mine are hooked up. WOZ is an exception, as it has a line level RCA output, so I use an RCA cord on it.

#21 8 years ago

Hack up and old RCA cable, add alligator clips, loosen speaker, route under grill.

20140812_144652.jpg20140812_144652.jpg20140812_144628.jpg20140812_144628.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-connect-an-external-sub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.