(Topic ID: 87788)

How to clear up the screech or 'pffft' knocker sound in a Stern pin?

By Pintucky

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My LOTR LE has rewarded me with an awesome loud knock sound ever since I have had it. Suddenly, instead of the knock, I am getting a screech sound or even a 'pfffft' sound. Both are real duds!

I know the knock is computer generated and not a real knocker in this pin.

Anyone else have the problem and figured out how to clear it up and get back to the real knock sound?

Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

#2 10 years ago

Many people disable the fake knocker sound and add a real knocker. I disabled the fake knocker in my TSPP, since it's a terrible sound.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

My LOTR LE has rewarded me with an awesome loud knock sound ever since I have had it. Suddenly, instead of the knock, I am getting a screech sound or even a 'pfffft' sound. Both are real duds!

I know the knock is computer generated and not a real knocker in this pin.

Anyone else have the problem and figured out how to clear it up and get back to the real knock sound?

Just out of curiosity, did the awesome loud knock you used to hear really sound fully like the real thing? Is it possible someone installed a knocker kit in your LOTR, and somewhere along the line the setting for it got switched back to the fake one? I've never done it, but you rig the kit up to the ticket dispenser or something I think. Might be worth poking inside to check.

Because the fake sound is always terrible, and there's not much you can do to fix it that I'm aware of. Even with Pinball Browser it's hard to swap because you're limited to the same sound length when you swap sounds, and it's incredibly short, making it hard to get anything else in there.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just out of curiosity, did the awesome loud knock you used to hear really sound fully like the real thing? Is it possible someone installed a knocker kit in your LOTR, and somewhere along the line the setting for it got switched back to the fake one? .

That's a good bet - When you install a knocker you have to turn the software knocker off and set the Q23 ( I think) option to knocker.

#5 10 years ago

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of you for the comments! I bought this pin NIB. Surprisingly, the knocker on it was awesome sounding. I thought it was the real thing, at first. My Avatar pin sounds very fake when it knocks.

I never installed a real knocker. I recently moved it and I'm wondering if jarring it could have done something. Any other comments are appreciated!
Mike

#6 10 years ago

So it doesn't have a real one at all? I've not heard of a stern software knocker that sounds good.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I've not heard of a stern software knocker that sounds good.

Ditto, first thing I do on my Sterns is set it to low, can't stand that noise.

It's just a digital sound file, it's not anything that would get changed from jarring. Unless all your sound for everything else is somehow terrible too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-clear-up-the-screech-or-pffft-knocker-sound-in-a-stern-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.