Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5237 (resized).jpg
20180812_204434 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200724_133114 (resized).jpg
01C25E35-59C6-4DAB-9364-0D6917F4F2E6 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I am doing a restore of my miss-o. The pf and main board are done. I am now looking to repaint the cab.

My issue is cleaning. Its quite dirty inside the front and difficult to get to but i dont want to paint over dirt.

How do you guys clean these things? Break out and replace the bottom board or break out the pressure washer?

01C25E35-59C6-4DAB-9364-0D6917F4F2E6 (resized).jpeg01C25E35-59C6-4DAB-9364-0D6917F4F2E6 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Sand it.

#3 3 years ago

It will need to be sanded, will bring it up like new

#4 3 years ago

Vacumn the crap out first and sand it. Dont use an aggressive grit though or you'll spend more time getting rid of score marks. I use 180 grit and that seems a good compromise. Wear a dust mask too!

#5 3 years ago

Those kind of bottoms never get really clean because they're textured. I'd rather rip it out, paint up a piece of wood and reinstall. But that takes a lot more time, but it sure looks a whole lot nicer.

IMG_20200724_133114 (resized).jpgIMG_20200724_133114 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

I recently replaced the bottoms of two cabinets. The hardest part for me was getting the nice square cuts. I have to say that it was a huge upgrade because once you get it glued and tacked in, it makes it feel like you’re working on a new box. So much of the yuck and smell is in that bottom board that a new one really freshens stuff up.

It was an easy decision for me because the cabs themselves also needed some significant re-gluing to get them structurally sound. They came out great, compared to what I started with.

Dave

#7 3 years ago

Thanks guys. That is such a difficult area i dont think i can get a sander in there. May just tap out the Bottom and replace

#8 3 years ago

Hand sanding works, especially in the corners. I would not replace the bottom unless is is swollen.

Also there are lots of small palm sanders that can be purchased.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hand sanding works, especially in the corners. I would not replace the bottom unless is is swollen.

Yeh, this is an instance where hand sanding works the best. Then afterwards, a good sweep with the vacuum cleaner.

#10 3 years ago

Vacuum, palm sander, and by hand in the little corners/ You'll be surprised how fast that crap comes out.

20180812_204434 (resized).jpg20180812_204434 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

I figured I had nothing to lose so I decided to start with a power wash. I put 3 heavy coats of scrubbing bubbles then powerwash from about a foot away to prevent my digging into the wood. It came out really nice (I can even see the original overspray) and got me 90% there. Now to wait a day or so and see if the water messed up the wood bottom.

IMG_5237 (resized).jpgIMG_5237 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

That looks great.

#13 3 years ago

What about sanding
Leaf blower
And spray or paint the inside of the cabinet

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

What about sanding
Leaf blower
And spray or paint the inside of the cabinet

That’s next but hopefully it will be easier

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-clean-inside-of-cabinet?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.