Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by thokennedy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WWCab.JPG
    WWCab_before.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    #1 13 years ago

What should be done?What should be avoided?

Thanks

#2 13 years ago

Hello!

For general payfield cleaning I like CP-100 (please see: http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=CP%2D100 ), along with mill wipe patches (please see: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1499&parent=80 ) as it seems to work well on rubbers and general playfield cleaning.

However, many people like the Novus set (please see: http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=NOVUS%2DTRI ), yet you must make sure to use the right Novus for the right task (note what Novus 1 is good for as opposed to Novus 2 and 3). Also please keep in mind that the Novus compounds are hazardous as noted on the bottles.

I might recommend caution using the Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean (please see: http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do?gclid=CIfxnsvdiKcCFc9J2godZj5Aew ) as it has been known to work really well on the shooter lanes but not well on playfields as it may damage them.

Always...

#3 13 years ago

thanks man..but I was refeering to the wood cabinet..is that word correct?

#4 13 years ago

On our Paragon - (early solid state with painted cab) - I used simple green to clean it up with magic eraser lightly, then actually put on some meguires car wax to protect the paint - its smooth and has nice little shine to it. for later games like my JD I used diluted simple green and some novus 2 - worked well, not sure what the norm is but that JD cabinet looks awesome.

#5 13 years ago

Hello!

No worries... I think, though, that what you said is fine:

"I was refeering to the wood cabinet..is that word correct?"

Speifically, saying the cabinet would imply the wood yet I made the error of just thiking playfield. I am sorry about that.

All the best with th cleaning!

#6 13 years ago

For the cabinet I have always used Mr. Clean Magic erasers. Just don't scrub to long or too hard. It will leave a white film behind. I remove this with a mixture of vinegar and water. Or Simple green. It works great removes small skuffs and dirt. And any smoke stains from it being in a smoking enviornment. If it is painted sideart and NOT a decal you can use spray nine as well. But it will remove/fade the ink from a decal it is very aggressive.

Good Luck.

#7 13 years ago

I use CP-100 or Novus 1 for the cabinet. And i wax it with the same product that i use for the playfield.

#8 13 years ago

For the initial clean of a dirty, smoke stained cabinet I have found nothing better than Mean Green.

#9 13 years ago

The best stuff I ever used for external cabinet cleaning is "That Purple Stuff". Unfortunately, I don't think you can get it anywhere other than large industrial dispensers, and I don't think it's even available anymore (it's not the same as "the Purple Stuff" that you find when googling). Simple green has worked well for me also. I have had a cabinet that had the colors bleed on me a little with harsh cleaners, so you may want to experiment in a small area first.

If you are referring to the inside of the cabinet (I'm a stickler for a clean inside also), I remove as much as possible, vaccum dirt and debris and then clean with a damp rag and mild detergent.

G

#10 13 years ago

I know this isn't practical for every situation...but I had the playfield off of this anyway. It was so dirty that no solution was cleaning it. I just sanded it all down and then painted the sides. I clear coated everything too so hopefully it can just be wiped down in the future.

WWCab_before.JPGWWCab_before.JPG WWCab.JPGWWCab.JPG

#11 13 years ago

that looks very professional

#12 13 years ago

Nice job, thokennedy! It looks fantastic.

#13 13 years ago

thanks guys! I'll show you some pics when its all done (WH20)...got the new playfield in it now. Just need to finish a few things and she will be ready to go!

#14 13 years ago

WOW what a transformation!! VERY nice work, it looks awesome!

#15 13 years ago

Yeah! I like a nice clean shiny inside too
    I'm a stickler. I think I'll do my next one like you did. I like the clear coat idea. It should help cut down on dust build up or at least make it easier to clean (as you mentioned).

G

#16 13 years ago

How Hard Is Removing a Playfield... This Is Something I Would Really Like to Do With my Pin in The Near Future... Did You Have a Guide/Video for Reference?

#17 13 years ago

Removing the playfield is kind of a pain, but its not that bad. I would def. label all the connectors. If its your first time I would even take some pictures of the boards with everything connected before you start removing connectors. Moving the playfield in and out is much, much easier with two guys.

#18 13 years ago

and just to add to what Hawkeye11 said...

To my surprise - once all the connectors are disconnected, the playfield literally just picks right up out of the cabinet, nothing to it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-clean-a-pinball-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.