(Topic ID: 65300)

How to clean a game: Chuck-E-Cheese style.

By Frax

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bob_cleaning.png
    DSCN1855.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    oxaw9.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Observed this lunacy the other day... so apparently, this is how you do it right:

1. Turn on machine.
    2. Clean the legs, with windex and a dirty rag. Make sure you spray liberally getting windex all over the cabinet in the process.
    3. Pull the glass.
    4. Pull the lockdown bar. Clean it with windex/dirty rag.
    5. Move your four foot tool cart between you and the peoples so they can't see what you're doing. Maybe.
    6. Pull out your denatured alcohol, magic eraser.
    7. Start to remove random plastics from the game, while attempting to look like you know what you're doing.
    8. Spray windex on the ramps (with the game still on, very important), playfield, and anywhere else you think it might need it. Make sure you use way too much, you wouldn't want to accidentally leave any wax in place the last guy might've put on there, or not make sure the inside of the light sockets don't get cleaned!
    9. Scrub playfield with magic eraser.
    10. Wipe down with dirty rag, casually cleaning up your overspray onto the inside part of the cabinet.
    11. Walk around for 5-10 minutes.
    12. Clean legs again.
    13. Clean lockdown bar again.
    14. Replace glass and lockdown bar.
    15. Clean top of glass, since that's the only part now exposed, and the lockdown bar again.
    16. Clean legs.
    17. Give it a play test to make sure that nothing is on fire.
    18. You're done! Go talk to the other employees, who find you wierd anyways because you "know how to work on a pinball machine."

Make sure that at NO POINT during this process, you make any attempt to adjust any malfunctioning switch, work on the flipper mechs, replace broken rubbers, fix dirty optos that don't allow people to lock the balls, or clean the DMD plastic which looks like smoked plexi.

You're done!

#2 6 years ago

Where's my pizza?

#3 6 years ago

/delete me

#4 6 years ago

LOL I admit I was not expecting #3!

#5 6 years ago

Pic or it didnt happen, right?

image.jpg

#6 6 years ago

At least they are using a dirty rag.....I have never seen this done...the Shrek at the Chucky Cheese by my house was something to behold (wish I would have taken a photo). The scoop on the right side for donkey pinball was eaten away so bad that there was ALMOST enough room for the ball to fall in the hole and outside the metal scoop. To top it of, the game was taking money and not registering credits. I really money maker!

#7 6 years ago

What surprises me most is that this "maintenance" was done while you and other customers were there, almost like it was part of wiping up the tables. Seems like it would be more of an after hours kind of job?

#8 6 years ago

Gross, children.

#9 6 years ago

TSPP at the Raleigh store was like mud on the playfield. I remember bringing a few rubber rings begging the tech to replace them. They did, I got a pizza and no free games. Ha.. machine played horribly. They would not consider a FREE shop job nor an offer for the game. I never went back.

I get upset when I see the few machines we have in our area neglected. The few ops we have around here don't seem to care. And the machines owned by the establishment (Frankies for example) aren't much better I am afraid.

#10 6 years ago

They have a corporate policy AFAIK that doesn't allow them to have outside people work on the games, or to sell them to third party. They're actually obligated by their policy to destroy pins when they are done with them, last I was told by someone familiar with their corp. rules. Course, that was a year and a half ago but I doubt much has changed.

#11 6 years ago

No wonder the playfield is so damn dirty on the POTC at my local Chuck E. Cheese.

#12 6 years ago

At least they were cleaning it.

#13 6 years ago

the Shrek at our local Chuck E Cheese had a non-working scoop. the ball would go in and then never come out. ballfinder couldn't find it. the game would be stuck unplayable if it went in there. went back 3 months later and it still had the same problem. went back three months after that and the machine was gone.

#14 6 years ago

"At least they were cleaning it. "

With SANDPAPER.

#15 6 years ago

What does it matter?

When they are done with it, the game will get dismantled and thrown into a dumpster.

(Man, that policy makes my heart ache every time).

Pete

#16 6 years ago

my favorite is no. 17, although I'd like to see the steps in a flowchart format to show all of the branching

eg.
    8. Spray windex on the ramps (with the game still on, very important), playfield, and anywhere else you think it might need it. Make sure you use way too much, you wouldn't want to accidentally leave any wax in place the last guy might have put on there, or not make sure the inside of the light sockets don't get cleaned!
    8a. did you break anything?
    yes
    i. post 'out of order' sign on machine and proceed to step 18.
    no
    i. continue cleaning while liberally spraying more windex directly on all components

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

What does it matter?
    When they are done with it, the game will get dismantled and thrown into a dumpster.
    (Man, that policy makes my heart ache every time).
    Pete

Actually, the POTC at our local CEC was scheduled for demolition and it was saved. They sent it back to the warehouse to be refurbed. I thought it was a goner. It had the TOPs kit and everything, played like crap though, but was an easy 150 tickets for a single token.

#18 6 years ago

Yeah, I rolled the POTC that was at one of our local ones for tickets so many times that they actually removed the ability to win tickets from it. >=\

#19 6 years ago

I've been told that the destruction policy no longer applies to pins.

#20 6 years ago

Frax, which location was that? At least it was a Dale Jr. pin and not something actually good...

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I currently have 3 CEC games and previously have had about 5 CEC games, so I would agree with this statement....

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I was told last week by a district manager of my local CEC that the Elvis will be destroyed with a sledge hammer soon, and he offered to send me pictures of it after they did it. So if this is true then he did not get the word yet.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

That's good but it sickens me to think of how many great pins have been lost of decades because of this policy.

#24 6 years ago

oxaw9.jpg

#25 6 years ago

Frax, that is just sad but you the way you wrote this up did make me laugh. If CEC wants to clean something I wish they would start with the restrooms.

#26 6 years ago

Hey it’s the only restaurant in the US that the health board won’t close due to a large rat infestation.

#27 6 years ago

Honestly I have to say, we have a CEC location in run-down/almost shoddy Antioch, Tennessee. This is the location that plays rap music knock-offs for the stage performances, literally. Lots of low-income people in the area.

Out of all this, the place has a pinball machine. Stern Pirates of the Caribbean. Most of the time it's playable and relatively nice looking. The manager actually likes pinball. I bet she would have more than one if it weren't for corporate policy. I'm serious, whoever she has working on their pins knows how to do it RIGHT. One day I came in, playfield was spotless. New rubbers. New bulbs. Flippers rebuilt. New display. The proper shop job.

The only thing that was still a problem was the lock post that pops up when you shoot the ship. You have to flip in order for it to fall. That may just be a design flaw. In hindsight it's really amazing that the experience ranges from no pins at all, to nonworking pins, to working but poorly maintained pins, to excellent working condition pins.

image.jpg image.jpg

#28 6 years ago

I call BS on this thread title, everyone knows Chuck-E-Cheese never cleans their games. And then when they're too dirty and broken then take out them out back and smash them. (Sadly this last part is true.)

#29 6 years ago

I concur, Miguel.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You have to flip in order for it to fall. That may just be a design flaw

I have had 3 POTC from CEC, all three of them had that same issue. There is a spring that keeps tension on that post. After 20k plays, that spring gets a little limp. Stretching it back out to give it more tension does the trick.....

The POTC I am working on right now from CEC is my favorite. ALL sorts of creative hacks to make it run.....$400 in parts later, and I am in the home stretch, LOL....

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The POTC I am working on right now from CEC is my favorite. ALL sorts of creative hacks to make it run.....$400 in parts later, and I am in the home stretch, LOL....

Woah, how did you end up with that? I've been told corporate policy is to smash games when they're done, the won't sell them off route.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Woah, how did you end up with that? I've been told corporate policy is to smash games when they're done, the won't sell them off route.

Yeah how the heck did you work that one out? First time I've ever heard of CEC actually selling a pin! Did you try the other way around, maybe offer up an Addams Family? Man I would love to see some restored Bally/Williams games on location!

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have a contact in Texas I get my CEC games from. The well has pretty much run dry, as they don't have many pins left (CEC). There is a seller up here in WI that has had many CEC games as well.

I believe that CEC writes off the games, a wholesaler buys them, and then decides their fate. The wholesaler I buy mine from actually had my games dropped shipped directly from CEC locations. My TSPP came from a CEC in New York, and the POTC I am working on right now came from a CEC in Nebraska.

#34 6 years ago

Lots of low-income people in the area.

I'll see your 150 and raise you 150.

DSCN1855.JPG

#35 6 years ago

Ralph, got any suggestions on how I might get my local CEC's TSPP when they are done with it? It's pretty run down now, but I think it has potential

#36 6 years ago

Huh, interesting, thanks for the insight. All I've ever heard are failed attempts at rescuing a routed CEC game.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Huh, interesting, thanks for the insight. All I've ever heard are failed attempts at rescuing a routed CEC game.

Good luck finding a decent CEC game in SoCal. Last one I went to was in Carson and the Nascar there was not in working condition.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from bailorgana:

Good luck finding a decent CEC game in SoCal. Last one I went to was in Carson and the Nascar there was not in working condition.

Hey, I never said decent!

#39 6 years ago

We do not have CEC here but Gaitti's Pizza with Gaittiland. There is a poor LOTR sitting over there that hasnt been cleaned on I would guess 2-3 years. Needs rescued and given a good home. Lines out on the DMD, can hardly get balls up ramps, just poor condition. Sad.

#40 6 years ago

my buddy found a nice way to clean a pin

bob_cleaning.png

#41 6 years ago

im most impressed that they pulled the glass before the lockdown bar.

#42 6 years ago

Next time ask the employe that's cleaning the pins if he has ever tried using steel wool instead of Magic Erasers . See if he comes back with a piece of steel wool in his hands! LOL

#43 6 years ago

I sure would like to get the CPU out of that Dale Jr. before it hits the dumpster.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Turboderf:

my buddy found a nice way to clean a pin

This should have a warning. "Do not try this at Home, I am a professional".

#45 6 years ago

Frax,
    Why didn't you go over and help educate the kid on how to properly clean a machine?
    Instead you just watched , listing a play by play...??
    I call BS, he looks like he had a rag and a bottle of cleaner/windex....no ME. And he pulled plastics?
    Really? what plastic's exactly? I don't see tool one..I've seen hundred's of pin's cleaned on location, never seen plastics pulled on any, unless to replace rubber's/lights or a very through cleaning.
    Not to byb, just seemed a little far featched in your description...
    Anyway, this is better than most of the cleaning on most operator locations..
    at least he is trying..

#46 6 years ago

I'm sure it has been said before, but what is/was the reason for the destruction policy for retired games at CEC?

#47 6 years ago

I'm baffled you actually took the type to post this.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

I'm sure it has been said before, but what is/was the reason for the destruction policy for retired games at CEC?

I was told tax write off.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

I was told tax write off.

And to prevent competition. Back in the 80's, when there was competition, they didn't want a competitor getting their old games and routing them against them.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

They have a corporate policy AFAIK that doesn't allow them to have outside people work on the games, or to sell them to third party. They're actually obligated by their policy to destroy pins when they are done with them, last I was told by someone familiar with their corp. rules. Course, that was a year and a half ago but I doubt much has changed.

That policy must have changed. Our local CEC got rid of the one pin they had during a remodel, the CEC's in the surrounding 3 states all rotate their games with each other so it is constantly fresh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 0.35
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 14.00
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside