(Topic ID: 189100)

How to choose and add a shaker?

By goingincirclez

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've looked around old threads but I seem to be getting more confused by the sheer number of choices and evolution of "shakers". From aftermarket to OEM kits, and whether or not a game was designed with intent for a shaker, and whether or not they happen to work for those that weren't, how to dial them in... and on top of that, seems a former go-to option is not even available or supported anymore (site is dead)... augh!

So how does one go about adding a shaker to an older game?

Specifically in my case, my wife thought Torpedo Alley would be even more awesome with a shaker, and then I felt stupid for not thinking of that myself. Have to admit, the sinking ships would be perfect, and maybe even the "Aooga ooga DIVE DIVE DIVE" sequence, among others.

So first off, how to choose a shaker that is compatible with the '88 DE boardset. Secondly, what to tie into that will even make it fire when desired, and for a suitable duration? Thirdly, what else am I not thinking of?

#2 6 years ago

Really? Nobody? Did I piss everyone off somehow? Seems the last few threads I've started have been nothing but crickets. Maybe I need to start a dramatic title thread ha ha.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Yes, you can add a shaker to any machine. You need a shaker, power source for the shaker, a trigger source - flashers are often used, and some type of relay device that can turn the trigger signal into a pulse for the shaker.

Thanks for the info. I've read several similar threads, but since those specifically referred to Dr. Who and LOTR which are newer I hadn't plumbed them yet.

But the gist of what you're summarizing makes sense, and I'm fine with figuring out how to supply power... and even the trigger might be OK as there are several flashers in the game that can be used. What I'm most apprehensive about is the "type" of shaker, as it seems there are several? And the most confusing part is the last bit: the type of relay device. Not sure what's out there that's recommended for older systems. One thread made mention of a product that no longer seems to be available.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Doesn't Data East Checkpoint have a shaker? Copy it, simple done

Was not aware of this but I guess I can look. That would be a help if true. Thank you!

#7 6 years ago

What type of relay choices are out there currently, and which might you recommend?

Reading those threads you posted (a bit through the LOTR one now), there's a lot of disccusion about game code revisions and custom ROMs. I can see where this might offer improved integration to other game effects and sequences... but it's not explicitly necessary, right?

To my point, for a game like Torpedo Alley (and others) where you tie a shaker to the flashers: THAT is your integration. No callouts, no modes, no target hits, no nothing else... just when the bulbs flash, you should get rumble. Fine for me in this game (the flashers go off all the time!) so I presume I can skip the worry about ROMS and such for now...

...but about that relay deal...?

[EDIT] just got into the Dr.Who thread... That one seems a little clearer for concept. But he mentions the "PIG" adapter again, which is the item I mentioned that doesn't seem available presently. But the discussion about relays was helpful, especially if off-the-shelf units can be made to work.

Thanks again for the hints in the right direction! Still interested if you have specific recommendations.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-choose-and-add-a-shaker?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.