(Topic ID: 195234)

How to buy a new pinball without any regret!!!

By PinballAlley

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17d3a3b095cf82aeb0e5f7905a098ed3--tattoo-removal-bad-tattoos (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballAlley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi All,
    In looking around the forum section of this website you see folks with issues, concerns, angst, anger, fear, indecision and the list could go on. Why? One might ask? The reason is simply the fear of spending lots of hard earned dollars on a new pinball that might have serious issues. Most of us work very hard for our money and the thought of getting short changed is distressing. If only there was a way to purchase a new pinball without risking something awful happening? Well the quick answer is yes there is a way. Dealers! Buying pinballs from official dealers. Stern and JJP have a dealer network to better serve you, the pinball consumer. Like many other manufacturers that have dealer networks, the idea is to create a better customer service. That it is easier for a manufacturer to deal with a handful of representatives than thousands of customers. That the dealer had the best incentive to make his customers happy. Incidentally the dealer gained strength and sway over the manufacturer in the end it evolved into a system that works.
    When it comes to buying pinballs you do have to do a little leg work. You need to identify what things are most important to you. Is it cost? Is it service? Is it warrantee's ? Then you search for the dealer that best suits your needs and concerns. My company, Pinball Alley , is celebrating it's 75th anniversary. Our policies developed over the years. One of the more recent policies is that we systematically set up and inspect and test new pinballs. We still honor any NIB request but we try to discourage it. The logic being that it is easier for us to rectify a problem before it goes to the customer. We also have a brick and mortar showroom that allows customers to play and pick out the pinball they want. We also have a written warranty the provides coverage in case of defect. On new pinballs, we offer a full year and on used we offer six months. If you are within 200 miles we also offer delivery and set up. Another item in the warranty is that we insure at least a 50% minimum value toward future trade-ins. In our time in the industry I can attest to the fact that there are great dealers across the country. Unfortunately a few unsavory characters have popped up along the way. I think asking the right questions goes a long way. If they do offer a warranty can you get it in writing? If not , then go to the next option. Are there any hidden cost? Shipping surcharges? Inspection fees? Destination fees? Make sure you are clear on all cost. Get references! Look online. If there are problems , they usually surface readily. Ask if their warranty is independent of the manufacturer? This means will they keep their promise regardless of the makers decision .
    If you do these things then you will have a top quality experience with your new pinball. There will be no risk and only upside. THAT IS WHAT DEALERS ARE FOR. Our main concern is that you have a wonderful buying experience and that you tell ten of your friends about it. I know there are those people who would rather bitch and moan than to find a pleasant path to pinball happiness. Those people make my teeth itch.

-J

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

75 years? Is that a typo?
    If not, much respect.

That is no typo. 1942 is when it all started

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jedimojo:

My nephew bought a Ghostbusters Pro and it has the typical ghosting inserts. Week after week he calls the dealer.... who happens to be considered one of the reputable dealers.... and gets the run-around that Stern hasn't gotten back to them about replacing the Playfield.
    He certainly has gotten to know his dealer.
    I think his calls have degraded to biweekly.
    No matter how honest the dealer is or how well-intended they are they can't make a company like stern stand behind their product in my experience.
    Maybe you can produce results that the others can't?

Please send me a private mail. I will see if there is anything I can do without stepping on another dealers toes.

-J

#13 6 years ago

A dealer will protect your investment. A good dealer will!!!!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

And for those of us who don't live in the USA and have the choice ofone ddealers serving the whole country ( and sucks to those who live outside the capital cities)
    I don't remember my dealer caring that it took Stern 3 years to finish the software for Batman
    Nor do I remember them forwarding the fix for the ball getting stuck ontop of the drop target

I would ask what their policies are. It would be pretty abusive to use a monopoly like situation to shirk customer service responsibilities.

#19 6 years ago

I sent you a mail. It is inappropriate for me to list prices here. I do use the pinside market and list prices there and pay pinside for the service.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballAlley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-buy-a-new-pinball-without-any-regret?tu=PinballAlley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.