Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by amason2308
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9464_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9465_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9466_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9467_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9468_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9469_(resized).JPG
    IMG_9470_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3950_(resized).jpg
    IMG_9220_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Hello all,

This is related to another post I created a couple weeks ago....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-plug-holes-in-a-playfield-prior-to-applying-varathane-clearcoat

But I forgot to ask how to block off the star rollovers prior to spraying with varathane.... any ideas?

Cheers!
    Al

IMG_9220_(resized).JPGIMG_9220_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Hmmm, searched via Google rather than Pinside and found a good answer.....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/19#post-1762011

#3 8 years ago

I have never found it to be a problem. I have done dozens of play fields with 4-6 coats of Varathane. At first I was worried it would clog up the slots, and tried masking the entire insert. That left a nasty edge (like the issue in that thread on mylar protectors). I use rattle cans and relatively thin coats. Once in awhile I have to clean just a bit from the end of a slot, but really hasn't been and issue.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance stashyboy. Yeah I'm just a little paranoid

#5 8 years ago

Take the rollovers you took out and put them in upside down. After you spray, take them out. Maybe try that?

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Take the rollovers you took out and put them in upside down. After you spray, take them out. Maybe try that?

That's the way to do it.

I've had a playfield restored professionally that has star rollovers in it, and at least with auto clear, it got in the grooves and it was a big issue. I think though they have changed how they block the grooves in the process now though. But I had to clean out every groove and when you have five rollovers in the game, it was a time consuming process. With Varathane, I don't think it would be near the issue.

#7 8 years ago

Take them out and replace with brand new ones when done

#8 8 years ago

To remove those stars, press them down and CUT OFF THE NUB at the bottom of the stem. DO NOT try to force it up through the retainer tabs.

If you get new star inserts from Pinball Resource you will need to shave off a tiny bit of the stem's thicker girth at the top of the stem. If you don't there is a good chance they will stick when pressed down.

You may be surprised how new brite white stars enhance a playfield. While you're poking around the stars, adjust the lamp underneath as close to the switch as you can get it without touching. Get that insert really glowing.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

. While you're poking around the stars, adjust the lamp underneath as close to the switch as you can get it without touching. Get that insert really glowing.

This is where flex-head LEDs really come in handy.

#10 8 years ago

Be careful - you don't want to have to deal with this...

IMG_3950_(resized).jpgIMG_3950_(resized).jpg

Mind you, this wasn't varathane... it was professionally applied clear coat, but still be careful...

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Take them out and replace with brand new ones when done

You can't take them out after they've been cleared over. And you really can't clear it with them out either.

#12 8 years ago

Vids guide said to put them in upside down like people suggested and to remove them while the clear is not cured but not super runny.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Seems unanimous - clip em off, put em in backwards, spray, remove when partially cured, replace with PBR newies.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

If you get new star inserts from Pinball Resource you will need to shave off a tiny bit of the stem's thicker girth at the top of the stem. If you don't there is a good chance they will stick when pressed down.

I hadn't seen this tip before - thank you!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

Be careful - you don't want to have to deal with this...

wow, what did you do about this? drill them out?

#15 8 years ago

I've used a poor man's approach on several of these with great success. I measured the diameter of the insert, then with a compass drew the circle on a large piece of painters tape. Carefully cut it out and put the circle of painters tape over the insert.
    After the clear had cured I cut the overspray on the painters tape with a razor and pulled up the tape. It worked perfect for me!

Not the optimal way, but a good alternative.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from amason2308:

wow, what did you do about this? drill them out?

Nope, spent hours and hours with a sharp art knife, and various other hand tools. Wasn't brave enough to try a Dremel or anything powered. I'm reassembling the PF now and the rollovers still stick so will try the earlier mentioned tip of slimming down the new stars.

#17 8 years ago

come on step up .. get a dremel and the right tool and play dentist.

Practise under the apron if you're not confident.

#18 8 years ago

Doug has spoken, I'm off to buy a bigger pair of cojones..

#19 8 years ago

Finally got round to doing this last night......

IMG_9470_(resized).JPGIMG_9470_(resized).JPG

IMG_9469_(resized).JPGIMG_9469_(resized).JPG

IMG_9468_(resized).JPGIMG_9468_(resized).JPG

IMG_9467_(resized).JPGIMG_9467_(resized).JPG

IMG_9466_(resized).JPGIMG_9466_(resized).JPG

IMG_9465_(resized).JPGIMG_9465_(resized).JPG

IMG_9464_(resized).JPGIMG_9464_(resized).JPG

#20 8 years ago

Whoops, photos are in reverse order. Go backwards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-block-off-the-star-rollovers-prior-to-spraying-with-varathane?hl=williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.