(Topic ID: 261711)

How to be operator and not grow pinball.

By vdojaq

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

390D1DB7-46C5-4B96-9A92-5E62C7590DD2 (resized).jpeg
7572F368-8AB0-4031-8AD4-54C1D76B3EBF.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago

If the location isn't free play. Then here are my thoughts. I'd like a decent ball save grace timer.
Even more than the standard default(yes I know munsters doesn't have one as default... don't know if you can turn one on... I thought you could.)

I also want the game to award replays.
I know some ops turn the replay reward off... If you do turn it off, then at least give me an extra ball. But, I rather have a replay. I don't mind pumping in quarters and paying to play. I just do want to both occasionally get a free game by match and by skill.

Munsters really intimidates me though. I seldom ever have a good game on it. And that is one game I am not certain I'd ever play in the wild.
Galloping Ghost has a prem, and even though its set to free play. I could in like 10 minutes rack up my cost of admission into that place. That is how badly that game kicks my butt...

Its a shame that instead of a 15-20 minutes of a fun pinball action that you got hosed. Still look on the bright side. Its still always cheaper to take the risk and gamble on a machine in the wild, then to actually own an actual pin.
I've played games on machines that the ball got stuck on the first shot, and no one to report it too. Or one of the slings was busted one time. And of course super weak flippers... Its part of the risk(some could say charm) of location play... But, only out a couple of bucks...

Look on the bright side. You got to rant. And that's always fun.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

em's= no ball saves, SS games= no ball saves
plenty of games like : fun house, earthshaker, dr dude, mousin around, every other system 11..blah blah blah = no ball saves.
Gottliebs from that era the same.
location games go like this:
option 1= 25 to 50 cents to play, mega extra balls turned on, specials, low replay, flat back legs, out lanes lowered posts, dirty play fields, switch issues, weak flippers, features not working, ball checks often, games basically blown out....
game gets beat, op makes basically nothing after location splits, so op doesn't care what works, op only cares if coins drop through slots. Op visits location once a month if lucky.
option 2: games cost 75 cents to $1 (or more with card swipes sometimes) to play, higher replay scores, out lanes mid to high, shorter ball saves, limited extra balls, games very well kept 100% working and clean, strong flippers, op is at location often confirming all is well, code updates, changing rubbers often and keeping games very nice and tight.
if only option 1 games are supported, quality pinball will be gone from locations again. A game set up too easy when someone puts in money getting free games for 2 hours straight on 50 cents to $1 is just not worthy for a game owner these days.
*Pinball machines are the most hands on machine with constant cash and time upkeep wise for parts.
I try to find a happy medium on my location games but I'm surely not letting someone play 2 hours for 25 or 50 cents on a well kept new stern/jjp/spooky game and I have to split with location.
I watch audits and if i see shorter ball times or anything else that seems unfair to me or unfair to a player, I strive to adjust properly.
A happy medium is the goal!
I also listen to the customers and work with them best I can with any suggestions.

I agree. I think you're right. I don't mind dumping 10-30 dollars into an arcade or pinbar per night.
I'm a decent player and I'll get a few free plays and as I said... Even a few matches. I don't expect to be able to play all night on just 1-2 dollars. With that said. There have been some machines where I have gotten freeplays 2 out of 3 times that I've played them. And I tend to get bored and want to move on to another game... But, sometimes it gets hard to play out my credits. As one time I had to play 3-4 extra games on a machine due to matching and the replays. I would have given the credits to another person. But, no one was around me at that time.

Anyway... I think what you said made a whole lot of sense. And I never considered why an EM or SS with no ball save really doesn't bother or intimadate me... Maybe, because with an em you get 5 balls. And with a solid state... Sometimes there is still playfield validation that needs to occur. Or maybe because most solid states are like 3-5 plays for a buck. While munsters is 1 dollar per play or sometimes more. And I really, really suck at munsters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

6,495 (Firm)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-be-operator-and-not-grow-pinball-?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.