(Topic ID: 288615)

How to assess my new Stern replacement playfield (warranty)?

By Broohaha

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Broohaha
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NewSternPlayfield (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

There's a lot going on recently with this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/ but I was hoping to distill the conversation with this post in the context of a new replacement playfield. (I did search via google of course for other relevant topics.)

So I'm going out on a limb to ask what is 'expected' and/vs. 'acceptable' as it relates to getting a Stern warranty (unpopulated) playfield replacement for a NIB game bought in Nov 2020.

For context: I reached out to Stern and they were very responsive in confirming my case of playfield pooling with chip damage. They sent out a hard coat kit in Dec, which I've applied. They also decided an unpopulated playfield was merited, which arrived today. I'm not here to argue about whether or not they should send a populated playfield, nor the state of affairs that led me to this situation.

I do have questions around what is reasonable to expect for a new playfield from stern. Feel free to answer any or all of them. I'm a sponge that wants to leverage the experience here:
    1. How 'straight/flat' should a replacement playfield be? I'm seeing significant bowing in the middle. Luckily my straight edge indicates it's relatively flat Left-to-Right, but there's about 1/4"+ bowing along the length of the playfield. At what point would this bowing affect play? (I don't plan on installing anytime soon.)
    2. I've read some (6+ year old) posts about buying rails for storing playfields. Is that still the recommendation?
    3. Given it likely hasn't fully cured yet, is it possible that applying some weights to the center for many months could re-train the wood? Or is it simply going to bend back? Effectively, the 4 corners would be placed on 1/2" spacers, then 10-20 lbs of weight on a felt pad in the middle. I'd use a straight edge to confirm 'flatness' (and the amount of weight required.)

Oh, and is it normal to expect to see clear contaminant issues with a new playfield? (Perhaps it's harder to notice with all parts installed, but I have multiple areas where it's clear that dust or otherwise caused a 'boogie' in the clear coat.) It seems weird to ask for a warranty on my warranty replacement. I can't help to think that I got a playfield "second" here....

Last thing: I'm in Denver, so it's dry... (Granted, I have a whole house humidifier that applies during the heating season.) Figured that may be a variable in terms of initial and long term storage.

Appreciate the advice here.
    NewSternPlayfield (resized).jpgNewSternPlayfield (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Lean it against a wall with it bowing away from the wall. It'll eventually straighten out. If the boogers aren't readily visible while playing I wouldn't worry about them.

#3 3 years ago

The side rails pull the playfield flat (long ways) when they are screwed in.

If there is a bow across the centre (left to right) that’s not so great ...

rd

#4 3 years ago

I've had 3/4" of "dip" lengthwise and it straightened out fine once rails were installed

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If the boogers aren't readily visible while playing I wouldn't worry about them.

Hard to say what will be visible, but I’m fairly certain these will be, as they’re not hidden behind rails or anything. The pic is the center of the play field.

rotordave zacaj thanks for the confirmation....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-assess-my-new-stern-replacement-playfield-warranty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.