Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TenaciousT
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vintage woolworth 53 ext pleasantfamilyshopping (resized).jpg
    d3ce2f91985bb931e3942aacdb1eac6c (resized).jpg
    dannerajaxhelper (resized).jpg
    ayrth (resized).jpg
    IMG_3203 (resized).JPG
    tgy (resized).jpg
    2de2f8c2b54e242219b058317ebe9b81 (resized).jpg
    zay (resized).jpg
    jamesway (resized).jpg
    Ames (resized).jpg
    1964787_10207155090409072_4760731603697981293_n (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    Zayre1971CD-1024x656 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4142 (resized).JPG
    kmart (resized).jpg
    TWkEGjH (resized).jpg
    There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #102 6 years ago

I have never purchased anything from wal mart in my life. They didn't move into socal until 15 or 20 years ago, and by that time I was a union man. Wal-Mart is an extremely anti-union company that works hard to destroy unions around the world.
    I think pretty much all cranes have a dip switch setting to control at the very least, the % of time the claw will actually hold a prize. That makes them gambling devices for children in my book. Should all be illegal.

#103 6 years ago

I used to just hate wal mart. Now I just embrace the chaos. The one thing I don't like is thier parking lot. As a handicapped guy in a walker. Lots of traffic from all levels of driving skill.

Sometimes when I am not in a hurry, I play games there, inside.

Like, I might stand near the checkout walking up slowly to see who will try to rush past me to get before the handicapped guy in line. To be first.

More games will follow I'm sure. My fiancée fully likes target better.

I go there alone for rehab, the only thing they don't have is an arcade. At Walmart and target.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

2) No, hoby1 does not make a lot of money working for a vending company. Only the owners of vending/amusement companies make a lot of money

In fact, that's how almost all companies work.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'll raise you a Zayre Shoppers City
    LTG : )

Looks like people couldn't park worth a shit back in the day either.

#106 6 years ago

how about I call, and raise a Pamida?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#107 6 years ago

I'll see your Pamida and raise you one Zodys

1964787_10207155090409072_4760731603697981293_n (resized).jpg1964787_10207155090409072_4760731603697981293_n (resized).jpg

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

All I know is that every time I set foot in a Walmart, I can't wait to leave. It's the last place I'd want to play pinball.

Totally agree pipes. I'll get a random on sale electronic and then get out asap.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'll raise you a Zayre Shoppers City

this looks like a car show parking lot

#110 6 years ago

AmesAmes

How about Ames? Would have been a perfect place to put a pinball machine, those guys did not give a shit. A real loss for New England when they went down for the last time.

#111 6 years ago

So many stores from the past, all gone. How about Jamesway?

jamesway (resized).jpgjamesway (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago

zay (resized).jpgzay (resized).jpg

Used to buy lots of Atari stuff here.

When people go caught in school wearing cheap Nike Air Jordans they were accused of having "Zayre Jordans" lol.

#113 6 years ago

I would like to publicly apologize to Zayre for the swiping of 20+ cassette tapes in the summer of 1987. Especially that Bon Jovi one.

#114 6 years ago

I swiped j Giles love stinks on vinyl in 1980 from my local record store. Not my finer moment. Great album though...

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I would like to publicly apologize to Zayre for the swiping of 20+ cassette tapes in the summer of 1987. Especially that Bon Jovi one.

No wonder they went out of business.

#116 6 years ago

Derp

#117 6 years ago

Hills baby! Best place to get an Icee and a big bag of stale popcorn.

2de2f8c2b54e242219b058317ebe9b81 (resized).jpg2de2f8c2b54e242219b058317ebe9b81 (resized).jpg

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

How about Ames? Would have been a perfect place to put a pinball machine, those guys did not give a shit. A real loss for New England when they went down for the last time.

The Ames in the town I grew up did have an arcade. I dinstinctly remember them having a Fire pinball machine in there, and I played a ton of Battlezone. There was also a fire truck driving arcade machine. Anybody remember this?

#119 6 years ago

tgy (resized).jpgtgy (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago

I came up empty in Googling for a pic of our local SS Kresge's, but I have vivid memories of how they always had a pin right inside the door and how my mom had to drag me away from it whenever she finished shopping there.

The building still exists, there is a thrift shop in there now, and it is kind of spooky to stand there and remember how it was 50 years ago!

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

The Ames in the town I grew up did have an arcade. I dinstinctly remember them having a Fire pinball machine in there, and I played a ton of Battlezone. There was also a fire truck driving arcade machine. Anybody remember this?

this?

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I don’t think I would publicly admit anything from my teenage years...

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

this?
    » YouTube video

That’s the one! Thanks for finding.

#124 6 years ago

When I was a kid the Atari was invented. Holy crap I have been doing this my whole life. Nice.

I had a reason I said this. It is gone. Sorry.

#125 6 years ago

Don't be sorry Mike. I do this all the time. You're totally good brother.

#126 6 years ago

You guys are idiots. I'm gonna get rich setting up some machines in the local Toys-r-Us.

#127 6 years ago

Huh. Ever too cheap to do anything original on their own... Walmart appropriated the "smiley face" for a mascot... and then replaced it with the Zayre digbat? I knew that logo seemed somehow familiar in the retail space. Eff Walmart.

I'd rather shop smart...

#128 6 years ago

I'm going to open up a store that sells waterbeds, Ginsu knives and pagers with an arcade full of pinball machines and no wifi. I am going to call Titties..
    It's gonna be huge.
    Boy I got way off track. Lol.

I miss Zayres.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I have never purchased anything from wal mart in my life. They didn't move into socal until 15 or 20 years ago, and by that time I was a union man. Wal-Mart is an extremely anti-union company that works hard to destroy unions around the world.
    I think pretty much all cranes have a dip switch setting to control at the very least, the % of time the claw will actually hold a prize. That makes them gambling devices for children in my book. Should all be illegal.

I've never shopped at Walmart...now that I know they don't support unions I may have to start shopping there....

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I've never shopped at Walmart...now that I know they don't support unions I may have to start shopping there....

Care to elaborate a little further on what your point is? First off let me make this clear right up front, i am not pro union but i am not anti union either. Dont let a few unions or union people that you know give you a bad outlook on unions becase all unions are not bad and there are alot of very hard working union men and women out there every day busting their asses and providing for their families. I would also suggest that you do some research and educate yourself about why unions were formed in the first place.

They were formed for very good reasons. Yes there are some unions that make other unions look bad but for the most part unions are full of good hard working Americans that dont have it made as much as you may think. Dont forget about the people that also died fighting for workers rights either. Those very people who fought for workers rights also helped non union workers as well. I know some union workers that are an embarrassment for sure and the unions protect them when they shouldn’t etc but i also know alot of union workers who work their asses off every day and never miss a days work ever.

#131 6 years ago

I'm not saying there are no union workers that don't work their asses off....clearly some do....some don't...pretty much like everyone else. That being said in the Bay Area unions are a complete eyesore, play dirty, extort developers, cities, and run BS political campaigns.....I support any business that is anti union.....they've gotten out of hand in California...

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

These so called WM gamerooms are under contract by us. You couldnt even afford the liability insurance.

Well hello Mr. fancy pants. Big words....from a very important man. I wish I was part of his illuminati in crowd. Wait, I'm too much of a loser to afford it or even try.

IMG_3203 (resized).JPGIMG_3203 (resized).JPG

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not saying there are no union workers that don't work their asses off....clearly some do....some don't...pretty much like everyone else. That being said in the Bay Area unions are a complete eyesore, play dirty, extort developers, cities, and run BS political campaigns.....I support any business that is anti union.....they've gotten out of hand in California...

All of that stuff works both ways though. I would personally never support any business that boasts about being anti union ever, but im ok if a business isn’t union also. When unions were formed, those people were just fighting to not be treated like slaves and total trash. There were alot of people who died fighting for workers rights and those people helped future union and non union workers both. I just cant ignore their sacrifice. They didnt know what the negative effects would be down the road when unions got greedy and gained too much power and got everything that they asked for. Those days are long over though and unions pretty much have no power at all anymore. That union gravy train of the old days ended a long time ago.

#134 6 years ago

Way to go old people. I’ve only heard of Kmart out of all of these weird ass stores. One day I’ll be eating my member berries and talking about amazon while I sway in my rocker.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

All of that stuff works both ways though. I would personally never support any business that boasts about being anti union ever, but im ok if a business isn’t union also. When unions were formed, those people were just fighting to not be treated like slaves and total trash. There were alot of people who died fighting for workers rights and those people helped future union and non union workers both. I just cant ignore their sacrifice. They didnt know what the negative effects would be down the road when unions got greedy and gained too much power and got everything that they asked for. Those days are long over though and unions pretty much have no power at all anymore. That union gravy train of the old days ended a long time ago.

Unions have a significant amount of political power in specific geographical areas i.e. the Bay Area.....that being said I agree they were formed for good reasons; however that ship has sailed, and now they have gotten way out of hand....

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Unions have a significant amount of political power in specific geographical areas i.e. the Bay Area.....that being said I agree they were formed for good reasons; however that ship has sailed, and now they have gotten way out of hand....

Thats the thing though, they arent way out of hand anymore, at least not in my area. If anything they need to gain some power back because companies around here are shitting on workers like you wouldnt believe, union and non union both. Its too bad that companies and unions cant just be reasonable and meet in the middle somewhere and have a agreement that works for both sides. People are greedy though and cant do that. They either want it all or nothing.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Harshly delivered but probably a good message for anybody thinking of getting into the route game, whether it's with a behemoth like Wal-Mart or a laundromat down the street. There ARE insurance issues, there are tax issues, and there's territory issues. All of this stuff can add insane complication to an "I just woke up and thought, hey, maybe I should put my Eight Ball Deluxe in Wal-Mart!!!" type of idea.
    For years and years, Lloyd would answer every "I'm thinking of putting pins out/opening a location" with a harsh, worst-case scenario list of terrifying reasons that you'd be absolutely insane to do something like that. Usually ended with a kid getting killed or injured and the precocious RGPer ending up in court.
    It's tough out there! I don't think the reality often matches up with the worst-case but it's good for anybody considering something like this to realize how complicated and precarious something like this can be.

You mean I can't drop my pin off at the local bar, earn $5000 in one month to pay for it, then put it back in my basement?

#138 6 years ago

Don't know if you remember Ayr-way?

ayrth (resized).jpgayrth (resized).jpg

How about a Indiana favorite? Danners 5 & 10 stores? Place where I played pinball first and it was 1971's Orbit !

dannerajaxhelper (resized).jpgdannerajaxhelper (resized).jpg

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Completely ignorant statement. It's clear where you get your info from. Enjoy your race to the bottom my friend.

1 month later
    #141 5 years ago

d3ce2f91985bb931e3942aacdb1eac6c (resized).jpgd3ce2f91985bb931e3942aacdb1eac6c (resized).jpg

#142 5 years ago

How about a service that brings pinball/arcade games to the customers. Be like Amazon! Order the games you would like at your party/event on-line. Trying to think out of the box

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

...SS Kresge's, but I have vivid memories of how they always had a pin right inside the door and how my mom had to drag me away from it whenever she finished shopping there.

Vivid memories of SS Kresge's as well! My mom would give me a dime to play while she checked out. One dime got you TWO 5-ball games! It was still all over in about 5 minutes though, lol.

Terry.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Vivid memories of SS Kresge's as well!

Until trading with Nazi Germany declined around 1938, you could buy Elastolin German toy soldiers at Kresge's. Though rare. I've had them with the Kresge price sticker on the bottom.

#145 5 years ago

...or Woolworths!

vintage woolworth 53 ext pleasantfamilyshopping (resized).jpgvintage woolworth 53 ext pleasantfamilyshopping (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #146 5 years ago

Well I stopped in my local Walmart (White Lake Mi. )the other day and noticed the arcade was gone . I asked the guy what happened to it - He said they hadn't paid the rent for a few months . I told him I would miss playing the broke ass Sharkey's Shootout !

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-approach-local-walmart/page/3?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.