(Topic ID: 11448)

How to approach any pinball technical issue to find its cause? Is there a Guide?

By Marcuni

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I've been learning a lot of pinball technical repair specific info like how to check fuses, clean switches or test a diode with a DMM. The problem I have now is how do you approach any problem to narrow down the cause of it? Like how do I know if the problem is on the playfield or PCB. Is it mechanical or electronic, That's my big challenge now. Is there a guide somewhere that provide you some starting logic given a problem?

For example, all the left slingshot lights of my William System 6 game don't work even with replacement bulbs. Where do I start?

#2 12 years ago

The manual/schematics is the best place to start

Other resources are Clay's guides (posted on various pirate sites) and pinwiki. And of course, just ask specific questions here.

As for your left slingshot lights they would be GI (general illumination). They have a constant 6.3VAC voltage and are wired in parallel with all other GIs on that same circuit. So, if you only have a few sockets out on a GI string, then you've likely lost the voltage wire(s) that go from one bulb to the next. Use a meter and start checking each bulb socket to see where you've lost voltage. Follow the wires. If the entire string is out (here's where the manual comes in handy), then you've got a blown fuse or bad connector on the board.

#4 12 years ago

I used to work in tech support and always had people try the dumb things first like:

1. Is the computer plugged in?
    2. Can you try something else you know works there?

You'd be surprised how often stuff like that fixes things hardware wise.

I carry that over to fixing pinball. The first thing I do is try a known good bulb there. If that doesn't work, then trace it back. Can you disconnect the entire string and measure to see if it's getting power? It's not? Then trace it back one further to the motherboard, and see if it's getting power to those pins there, and on and on.

In tech support reseatting boards really does solve a lot of issues, and I've found that doing the same on pinball boards. Taking off the connectors and just reseating them can solve issues.

Lastly my other dumb test, is to looks at the parts themselves, either on the board or otherwise. Is there a duplicate somewhere else? Do they look exactly the same finish wise? If they do, then they are probably good. If they do not and one looks a little rough or has some char on it, it's probably been blown and should be investigated further.

Oh, and google is your friend, search the problem.

That's it, those are my dumb solutions first. After this, I go to the manual!

#5 12 years ago

It becomes easier the more you repair games. I've been at this for 10+ years now, and it seems I learn a little more every time I tackle a repair. A schematic that once looked like Greek to me now has a lot of clarity. It's no longer a big piece of paper with multiple lines on it!

We all start somewhere. I've always been a tinkerer. I used to be nervous about taking one flipper apart and getting it back together correctly, now I scatter an entire game into a pile of parts, and don't take many notes in the process, then rebuild it from the ground up.

I don't know how your 'brain works' - that's not an insult, different people think about things in different ways. Looking at the bulbs under the slings, for example - I know those bulbs are GI. I'd check at the socket for approx 6.3 VAC, the traditional voltage for GI. If that's missing, there's the problem. If the voltage is there, and the bulbs are out, it's most likely the bulbs.

If the 6.3 VAC is missing, I know from history that GI is often burnt connectors. I also know that GI bulbs are in 'strings' - multiple balls fed from 1 power source. If the other GI bulbs are good, I'd find the wires leading to those sockets, and trace the wires back to where they are fed from - just trace the wires back to a previous solder point, and see if maybe there's a broken wire.

Deductive reasoning is your friend. You learn to deduce better the more you work on pins

Asking questions is fine. It's great, actually. Never be afraid to ask for help

#6 12 years ago

Great info. I'm new to all this. Thanks!

I was hoping or wishing there was some official/certified way of learning pinball technical repair from the heydays of pinball. Most of this mentioned info seem to come from the user community and retired technicians, right?

I think it would be help this hobby if someone release more organized information on books or videos that go beyond "how to shop your pinball table".

Back in the day, pinball machines were used to make money. Arcades hired technicians for repairs. It made sense. Now pinball is a hobby. The tables are owned by the customers which need to perform the maintenance and repair themselves. Constant home technical repair is expensive and most people, like me, never touched a soldering gun before. This is hurting the hobby. I know many people that owned or would like to own a pinball table but lack of maintenance skills prevents them from getting into the hobby. Is not because they're not willing to do what it takes to own a pinball table. They just don't know what to do when things break.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marcuni:

Is not because they're not willing to do what it takes to own a pinball table. They just don't know what to do when things break.

That is a good point and I always snicker when I lift a pf and people gasp and cry out "holy crap" as they look at all of the parts and pieces. With that being said we all started some where and you won't learn unless you try.

As for your GI, sometimes those sockets can go bad so you can check for the voltage (as stated above) and you can also use a jumper wire from the tab of a socket with a working bulb to the socket tab of the one in question. Its just a dirty test I use to narrow down the problem of nonworking lights, ruling out the bulb, socket and grounding. Good luck and don't ever feel worried about asking questions here.

#8 12 years ago

just about everything you need to know is all right here!!

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7

#9 12 years ago

Use your common sense and don't over think things.

And some basics in electronics. Which with Google or YouTube you can learn. Get a battery, some wire and a light bulb, make a simple circuit, see how it works.

Get a meter, practice on your table or work bench. Take readings of your battery, get some resistors, transistors, diodes, practice measuring them.

Then apply these basics to your game.

GI bulbs not working, what makes them work. Hmmmmm. power. Grab your meter, set to AC, see if power at the sockets yes/no ? Then you know which direction to go next. Yes forward, no backwards.

Apply the same thing to your game. Coil doesn't work ? Work in test or game play ? What makes it work. Same thing for a switch.

And if you are working on your game, and now it does something bad. What did you work on ? Go over your work first.

For the average pinball problem, you couldn't ask for a more simpler thing to work on. And often in tests, the game itself will help you.

And as you gain in knowledge and experience, you'll be quicker to diagnose and repair.

LTG

#10 12 years ago

Thank you all for the help with the lights problem. I'll give it a try tonight.

Just to give you guys an analogy. When I was a kid, for accessibility reasons, I had to learn to play the guitar by ear with no teacher, book, video, internet, etc. Well, I don't know how many people today would be playing guitar if that was the only way to learn it. That's my point. It doesn't have to be hard to learn all this. The technical pinball information is out there, just not readily organized and accessible. If it was, I really believe it would bring more people and attention to this hobby. All we need is somebody with the knowledge to put some video or book together for some bucks.

#11 12 years ago

Sure, all you said works for me because I am that kind of person. I'm talking about the other kind of people. The kind that likes to learn guitar from a teacher, method or friend. It would be good for the hobby if we could attract more people.

#12 12 years ago

I have found that it is usually simple. A loose wire or a dirty connection. I always start there. There are times when it is a chip, but that seems to be more rare.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marcuni:

It would be good for the hobby if we could attract more people.

I disagree, fewer pins to go around

#14 12 years ago

Fewer "old" pins but, if demand is right, more new pins too!

#15 12 years ago

I just found some clips of a VHS video pinball repair series. His name is David Fromm. Any opinions? Is it worth getting it?

#16 12 years ago

First download the manuals I linked for you up top. Those are the bible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-approach-any-pinball-technical-issue-to-find-its-cause-is-there-a-guide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.