7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Flamethrower
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Boob.gif
    Spredem.gif

#1 7 years ago

Ever since I began playing pinball a few weeks ago at my local pinball arcade, which is a pinball-only venue with many tables, I have kept an eye out for other "enthusiasts". I see a handful of regulars at this venue who are obviously skilled pinball players, and as a new player I'd love to have someone to chat with and discuss different tables, rules, playing tips, etc. I have been a bit wary of approaching them though. One player looked so upset by his performance that he looked genuinely angry after each game..he was a definite no-go. Another player seems to get very into his games and seems to be having fun. Would I come off as an annoying noob if I started asking him pinball questions? Are pinheads approachable?

#2 7 years ago

I would avoid the agro guys since those are not the sort of guys I would want to hang out with anyhow.

I find most pinheads probably have more in common with you then anyone else in the general public. We all likely have our own nerdish traits and somewhat addictive personalities, but tend to be very genuine and nice people

When playing on location, I am always super pumped when anyone wants to talk pins (so long as they do not interrupt me in the middle of a ball).
    I suggest maybe looking at the pinsider map function and then send off a few PMs to any guys that are local to you and see if anyone wants to meet up at your local pinhall to play. I met a bunch of really nice local pinheads through pinside.

#3 7 years ago

Put a quarter on the glass.

#4 7 years ago

Yeah, I think as long as you don't start yapping in the middle of a ball you're cool. Of course, it's always hard to think of something to say. But I bet "good ball" would work most of the time.

#5 7 years ago

Always approach from behind.

#6 7 years ago

I love talking pinball. If I was at a pinball spot and someone showed interest in my sickness I would be more then happy to shoot pinball chat with them. I enjoy meeting other pinheads. When I was selling my T2 and getting phone calls from my ad and told them it was sold, I think I have talked to each person for about 30 min. Just pinball talk. I also made a few new friends which is great.

#7 7 years ago

Some of my best friends are pinball players! We tend to be geeks! Look at the MCA-Beastie Boys topic (I'm a huge fan, just didn't post)! You should really say hello to those guys!

Hell sometimes I come away from a game looking mad! But really I'm easy going! Talking shop, needing help fixing a game, you name it! I'm all ears!

-Aaron

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yea , wait till he goes to the John , catch him in Action and grab his elbow's and shake them , then walk out.. He will Alway's rem- you and a Talk or Something will come of it !!

#9 7 years ago

Mmmmm..Hooters.

Thanks BR.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from jbolo:

One player looked so upset by his performance that he looked genuinely angry after each game..

It's just a short term response Jbolo, usually out of frustration rather than anger... If he's a true pinhead AND surrounded by pinball machines he shouldn't be that mad.

You could always start with how "poorly setup" that machine was. Pinheads love to blame anything and everything external to their actual skills.

"Man, if it wasn't for this "Supermoon" last night, I would have had the GC on ____!"

#11 7 years ago

Just slide between the machines to watch their game, dragging you junk across the button hand in the process.....

Just kidding, I just walk up watch the game and ask if I can get in the next round and play doubles. Of course introducing yourself, even offering to pay for the round.

Good luck

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

vid1900 said:Always approach from behind.

Yea , wait till he goes to the John , catch him in Action and grab his elbow's and shake them , then walk out.. He will alway's rem- you and a Talk or something will come of it !!
    » YouTube video

Damn, now I'm hungry B_R. lol

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And yell tips into his ear, such as "right flipper! now left! left again!"

#14 7 years ago

There's a thin line between acting friendly, and creeping someone out. More or less we're all approachable, and love talking pinball. You'll learn what starts a conversation, and when to to say what.

I'm fairly certain no one will appreciate being interrupted, touching, groping, breathing heavy, etc. unless your a Hooters girl, then do whatever you want.

Brian

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

vid1900 said:Always approach from behind.
    And yell tips into his ear, such as "right flipper! now left! left again!"

Lmao! That was funny.

#16 7 years ago

If you see someone having a great round, compliment them. Not during a ball.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Put a quarter on the glass.

I had forgotten about doing this till I read it here. Talk about a flash from the past.. When I use to have to wait in line to play games at bowling alleys and arcades. The quarter with the tails-up penny on it was mine, two more games I get my chance !

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from BillinIndiana:

TaylorVA said:Put a quarter on the glass.
    I had forgotten about doing this till I read it here. Talk about a flash from the past.. When I use to have to wait in line to play games at bowling alleys and arcades. The quarter with the tails-up penny on it was mine, two more games I get my chance !

That's on a Pool table ,, Quarter's on the Glass of a Pinball ,, Yr Turn is when I step away ....

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

BillinIndiana said:TaylorVA said:Put a quarter on the glass.
    That's on a Pool table ,, Quarter's on the Glass of a Pinball ,, Yr Turn is when I step away ....

Quarters on glass were the way to get next game in arcades. May sound odd but that's the way it was. More civil times.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

May sound odd but that's the way it was. More civil times.

I don't think it had anything to do with civility. There were just more people playing pinball back then. You needed a method to see who was next. These days, you don't see a lot of lines for location pins. No need to keep track of who's in line when there isn't a line.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from jbolo:

Would I come off as an annoying noob if I started asking him pinball questions?

Not if you ask the right questions. Ask game specific questions, like 'Are you getting a lot of rejects from Doc Ock too?'. Not 'What's your favorite game'. Don't ask for tips or strategies right off the bat either. Those are shared among friends, not someone you just meant. If they offer tips, take them, but don't ask. Complimenting a player is the easiest way to get the conversation started. Like most humans, players enjoy hearing compliments.

Quoted from jbolo:

Are pinheads approachable?

Hell yes. They're are one of the most laid back groups of people you'll ever meet. Very few confirmed idiots in the hobby. Lots of quirky folks, but not many jerks.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #25 7 years ago

Man I read this and was thinking of the movie "I Love You man!"

I agree with the don't over think it. The people I've met are regular people like me and usually for easy to talk to.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

That's on a Pool table ,, Quarter's on the Glass of a Pinball []

That's how we did it up here in the early 90's arcades. Slide 'em right under the edge of the lockdown bar. I know you do things differently down there, not saying that's the way it is everywhere.

As far as icebreakers go, i would just wait until the guy/gals game was over and make a brief comment about the game's condition or comment on the player's game (if it was good). You should be able to get a good idea if the person is wanting a conversation at that point. Govern yourself accordingly based on that.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

We need the infinite exercise girl video. It is always good for a tilt [] or what not!!

You Got it ,,,, Tilt away Ya'll !!!!

Attachments Spredem.gif (826.9 KB, 0 downloads) 11 minutes old

I'd nudge that

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'd nudge that

I think a death save or full on bang back would be more in order actually.

#29 7 years ago

I Talk Junk fellas ,, I do the Quarter's on the Pool Table , but I've Never had to put Quarter's on a Pin.. If I walk up to play a Pin while Occupied , when the person is Done , They walk away..

Yr rite Taylor ,, Quarter's on the Draw Bar , Mean's Yr Next !! Unless ,,

. Also , Look what i just Missed out on... A GNR for $ 3200.00 . I was the 2nd E-mailer

washingtondc.craigslist.org link

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

usually out of frustration rather than anger... If he's a true pinhead AND surrounded by pinball machines he shouldn't be that mad.

This would be me playing Creature from the Black Lagoon last week...

but seriously, if someone comes up and starts asking me questions about pinball, rules, etc.. You can't get me to shut up.

#31 7 years ago

I am working on being more outgoing, but in general I have always been too shy to initiate conversations with strangers I see playing pinball. I love it when people come talk to me, though! The most successful conversation starter in my experience is when someone asks me something specific about a game, like a question about the rules. I find generic hey/how are you type stuff difficult to respond to, but rule questions always have an actual answer, so I think they're a great way to break the ice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 224.99
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 58.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 199.99
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside