Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by Thunderbird
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

12C5C096-E562-4F31-A671-5B8393CE787E (resized).jpeg
DD9181EB-0589-41D7-A659-58E88E54B677 (resized).jpeg
59631EE2-184A-4894-9BB7-37E72001136E (resized).jpeg
20181025_173223 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180912_0951208.jpg
7731fd2a33f9d02d0f299b797b691d4e6f51935f.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I adjusted my TFTC shaker motor this weekend, as the settings on the cpu don't allow for increasing/decreasing intensity. I thought I'd document it here for future reference as I didn't see a lot of info on it on the net.

Take off the two screws holding down the motor's cover.

Once off, you'll notice the motor is quite simple. Two rectangular weights are attached to each end of a spinning axle. The weights attach to this axle with a simple set screw. SO you'll need a small hex allen wrench. You may want to remove the motor at this point via it's own 4 screws holding it onto the bottom of the cab. Or you could just proceed as is. I found it easier to remove it.

Now, the two weights on my motor were aligned together. You'll see what I mean once you take a look at yours. When the weights are aligned together, it makes for the most intense shake. To decrease the shake, remove ONE weight's set screw, rotate the weight 90 degrees, and retighten the set screw in the next set screw opening. Each weight has two possible settings for the set screws. The axle has one divot on it for the set screw to be tightened into. SO, at this point, the weights are now at 90 degree angles from each other. I tried my game and thought it was still a bit too intense.
I then went on to adjust the OTHER weight now, so that the weights were 180 from each other. This basically made the shaker much less intense.

All in all, it's really straight forward once you take off the plastic cover over the shaker. You can also remove the motor assembly (which I did) in adjusting the set screws. It was only held down to the bottom of the pin by 4 screws.

Easy to adjust!

#2 4 years ago

this is great info, thanks!

3 years later
#3 7 months ago

Sorry to bump old thread....but because I'm an idiot...is the screw for adjusting the weight in that protruding piece?

Also, when you adjust the weight....does it only move so far? Is that why you adjusted the OTHER weight? Thanks
7731fd2a33f9d02d0f299b797b691d4e6f51935f.jpg

#4 7 months ago

That set screw is to secure the weight. The weight can only be adjusted in 90 degree implements. You move the set screw to the other position when you adjust the weight. Basically you can put both weights to the same direction for maximum shake. Offset them 90 degrees to each other for medium shake or put them on opposite sides for minimal shake. Its hard to see the far side but it looks like you are currently set to maximum.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That set screw is to secure the weight. The weight can only be adjusted in 90 degree implements. You move the set screw to the other position when you adjust the weight. Basically you can put both weights to the same direction for maximum shake. Offset them 90 degrees to each other for medium shake or put them on opposite sides for minimal shake. Its hard to see the far side but it looks like you are currently set to maximum. Thanks!

Yea it's set to maximum. I was just unsure if that was the screw to adjust the weights. I want to offset to weights so the shaking is at a minimum, so I'll have to adjust both weights.
IMG_20180912_0951208.jpg

#6 7 months ago

Made the change and rotated the weights at 180 degrees. Tried playing and felt it was barely noticeable...so I readjusted to 90 degrees and it's perfect!

Thanks for the tip and help!

1 month later
#7 6 months ago

OK, so I just installed a stern direct factory shaker in Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) , and the default was way too strong. I rotated to 180° and its much better now.

However...I had a hard time loosening the bolts with an allen wrench. I actually stripped 3 allen wrenches trying to loosen them up. I was worried I was going to start stripping the shaker screws and never be able to tame it down.

I then tried a torx screwdriver bit that fit and it came loose right away!

20181025_173223 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#8 39 days ago

Updating this post because it was not very clear how to adjust the shaker motor from the above.

I just took mine off my Batman 66, because the shaker motor literally shook the right flipper solder joint apart. I’ve now solved the issue and can again enjoy the shaker motor without fear of my motor ruining my game elsewhere.

Removed it from the table: remove two top case screws. Then remove four bolts holding unit to table cabinet base.

Also tried using an Allen wrench, only to strip it. Attempted torque wrench and broke head. Wishing I hadn’t started this project, lol. Used Vise Grip Pliers to finally loosen 1/32nd screw nub. Destroyed screw nib getting it off. Purchased new screw and put it in the 90 degree angle hole to retighten. 90 degrees position offset it to the other side weight. Putting only a drop of lock tight on the screw before inserting.

Real issue with original screw is that it had tons of lock tight, so it was not coming off without brute force. Had to finally clamp screw nib into bench vice and then used a screw driver inserted through weight hole to turn entire weight till it came off all the way.

Now at 90 degree offset position to opposite side weight, it works perfectly as a shaker motor and doesn’t shake the table glass any longer, but keeps the fun effect of the shaker motor. I left the other side untouched. You could move it 90 degrees also, but then they’d be 180 degrees opposite of each other and diminish shaker effect too much.

I’ve included photos below to see exactly how I positioned weights and where screws were placed. Have fun adjusting! It would have been a simple process without the heavy dose of lock tight. It is worth the effort as now shaker motor adds to the experience instead of being too violent.

12C5C096-E562-4F31-A671-5B8393CE787E (resized).jpeg59631EE2-184A-4894-9BB7-37E72001136E (resized).jpegDD9181EB-0589-41D7-A659-58E88E54B677 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
£ 32.00
$ 50.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New City, NY
$ 15.00
Boards
PinSound
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside