Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roverius
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I need to learn how to adjust these things. I'm working on a game right now and when I test the coin mechs the quarter always falls in the coin return. I know there is a screw you can turn if the quarter is getting stuck halfway down but I haven't found a guide anywhere that talks about this problem.

#2 8 years ago

Screw won't help if it isn't getting stuck.

It sounds like your problem is the mech isn't level. Think about it - Coin mech is at a right angle to the coin door. Playfield is at a 6 1/2 degree pitch. Whole game is at a 6 1/2 degree pitch. So your mech is leaning to the coin return side.

Put your mech on a level surface and see if coin goes to return or the coin switch side. If it works on the level surface, then you need to find different mechs that will work or get your mechs leaning back the other way.

Been a problem with pinball since they started mounting the mechs in this fashion.

Stern is the only one to recently rout out more wood and lean the whole door in a bit.

LTG

#4 8 years ago

It would help to know what machine/coin mech your talking about. I don't know very much and am still learning a lot, but if its an older EM machine I can help as I just did this on my machine. If its a newer machine... I am going to be useless..

#5 8 years ago

It's a Police Force and who knows what brand the mech is or how much it's been used. We just stuck them in there. However, the game is way off level since the shop floor is basically cheap concrete. Will have to look at it more.

#6 8 years ago

If you have those black all-plastic "Imonex" brand coin mechs, there are no adjustments to them.

http://www.imonex.com/Category_Amusements/v9_series.aspx

You either clean them by throwing them into warm soapy water for a while, then rinsing off and drying or you throw them away if they don't work.

#7 8 years ago

If the mechs have the counterweight installed for tokens, it will reject your quarters.

1 year later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Screw won't help if it isn't getting stuck.
It sounds like your problem is the mech isn't level. Think about it - Coin mech is at a right angle to the coin door. Playfield is at a 6 1/2 degree pitch. Whole game is at a 6 1/2 degree pitch. So your mech is leaning to the coin return side.
Put your mech on a level surface and see if coin goes to return or the coin switch side. If it works on the level surface, then you need to find different mechs that will work or get your mechs leaning back the other way.
Been a problem with pinball since they started mounting the mechs in this fashion.
Stern is the only one to recently rout out more wood and lean the whole door in a bit.
LTG

I have this same problem on my new Stern Star Trek. With the game set for the proper pitch the coin mech is leaning to the coin return side. The quarter coin mech's that came with the game work fine. The coin door and mech's are Suzo-Happ. I like to use .984 tokens in my games and I have always used the Happ .984/quarter combo coin mech's and they work great in all my other games but they don't work in my new Stern Star Trek LE pinball machine. They work with the door open but when closed they are not level and tokens pass to the coin return. You would think a company like Stern as long as they have been making pinball games would have a clue about how to angel the front panel of the cabinet so the coin mech is level.
For now I put the game on free play but the only .984 token mech I have found so far that works is the black plastic Imonex brand which seems like my only option. It just seems crazy Stern cant get it right after building so many games. It is too much to ask? Apparently so.

#9 6 years ago

I need coin mechs that take the Aladdins Castle tokens. Bought like 1000 of those tokens so I could convert my gameroom to tokens for the full arcade feel. then have custom Fun Dollars printed for the coin machines (can be programed to take monopoly money if you wanted). that way the free game special would mean, less trips to the coin changer, plus the full experience of arcade fun. Also keeps kids from adding 4 players all the time.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I need coin mechs that take the Aladdins Castle tokens. Bought like 1000 of those tokens so I could convert my gameroom to tokens for the full arcade feel. then have custom Fun Dollars printed for the coin machines (can be programed to take monopoly money if you wanted). that way the free game special would mean, less trips to the coin changer, plus the full experience of arcade fun. Also keeps kids from adding 4 players all the time.

Awesome.

#11 6 years ago

You hit the nail on the head CaptainNeo. That's what I want to do when I get my gameroom setup and done.

I saw somewhere, don't know if it was here or another forum, where someone just made some clear plastic sleeves and put those in place of the coin mechs. You could use any coins you want that way.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

You hit the nail on the head CaptainNeo. That's what I want to do when I get my gameroom setup and done.
I saw somewhere, don't know if it was here or another forum, where someone just made some clear plastic sleeves and put those in place of the coin mechs. You could use any coins you want that way.

that's interesting. I guess you could just make an acrylic block to trigger the switch. I may have to design something like that.

#13 6 years ago

Here's what you're looking for. Its trial and error (or file and error)

...there's a lot of filing and such on the mech parts, to get them to take the coins you want.

http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/11/arcade/tutorial-change-your-coin-door-to-accept-tokens/

6 years later
#14 5 months ago

Hi,

I know this is a old post, but has anyone ever found a solution to adjust the coinmech in the door.
I have tried to put some washers between the mech and the slot to it would level a bit, but it does not do much.
Maybe with replacling/adjusting the mechslots with some bushings?

I might try that out, but maybe there are better solutions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside