New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 91672)

How to add email notifications to topics?

By markronz

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Xantari
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Browser notification (resized).png
    2020-04-21_19-58-08.png

#1 6 years ago

Hello all. I'm new here. Just wondering how to (or if I can) add email notifications to a topic thread so that I get an email alert when someone replies to it? I've added it to my favorites list, but that doesn't send me emails, but makes it easier to find if I come back to check manually. I saw the RSS Feed thing, but I have never used RSS before for anything, so I'm not sure that's what I want. Isn't there just an easy way to get email notifications?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

You could use an RSS to email tool like this one: http://blogtrottr.com/

Just copy the RSS URL for the topic and plug it into the form along with your email.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, Just tried it out on this topic. Hoping that I will get an email to my own response here.

#4 6 years ago

Hmm, been about 5 minutes. Nothing yet. Wonder if I'm doing it right. I right clicked on the RSS Feed link above and selected Copy Link Address. And that's the address that I used to input on the blogtrottr website. I did get an email where I can to click to confirm, which I did. Then I replied back to this thread and no email notifications so far...

#5 6 years ago

I assume you picked the default "Realtime"...I'd give it a little longer. You could also try other RSS to email tools and see if they turn around faster. Just Google RSS to email, there are lots.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for your help.

#7 6 years ago

E-mail notifications in one way or another is a feature that has been on our to-do list for a long time, I hope to add it in the not to distant future!

5 years later
    #8 8 months ago

Any updates on this?

i enjoy keeping up with threads.

having to keep a bookmark list of each thread i want to try and follow gets very long.

Peace
    Buffett

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from robin:

E-mail notifications in one way or another is a feature that has been on our to-do list for a long time, I hope to add it in the not to distant future!

On a related note..... robin , does the mention feature do anything? I guess not, as it wouldn't even highlight your name after I clicked it. I'm hoping / expecting it will at least drop an icon somewhere showing you were mentioned when logging in.

UPDATE: I see after I posted it (and re-upped my + donation status) your name is highlighted. The question now is....do you see or get any notification that it was posted and you got mentioned?

#10 8 months ago
    Quoted from Buffett:

Any updates on this?
    i enjoy keeping up with threads.
    having to keep a bookmark list of each thread i want to try and follow gets very long.
    Peace
    Buffett

Well you can favorite the topic (press the star icon near the topic name) and then it will be added to your favorites list which can be easily browsed through on their own (by pressing the star icon a bit above it on the page).

4 weeks later
    #11 7 months ago

Email notifications on threads is in every forum software i've ever used. I'm surprised it's not here. I don't even see the RSS feed option mentioned in this post which would be fine for me if I could find the link to a post's RSS feed.

3 weeks later
    #12 6 months ago

I just found this post while trying to figure out how to be emailed or at least have some notification pop when I log into pinside for forum posts, mentions, anything I would like to know about really. I just donated $36 on top of my $5 last year with the expectation that doing so would enable such a feature.

According to the donation pagethis makes me a Pinside+ member and becoming such enables one of three new features:

FORUM NOTIFICATIONS Forum new post, quote and mention notifications
    2020-04-21_19-58-08.png

It seems that I should now be able to get notified about forum posts, mentions, etc (I assume via email notifications). However, I can't find any new settings in my personal settings area that will allow me to customize/enable this feature.

If the whole (+ coming soon!)part of that bullet actually means all of the aforementioned is unavailable, then why is this bullet even stated? To me, 'xxxxx (+ coming soon)' indicates that "xxxxx is available plus more related features to xxxxx are coming soon."

While my $35+ donation makes complete sense given how much I leverage this site, I can't help but feel misled if donating that amount can't even provide some kind of forum notification feature. Please tell me I'm being stupid and this feature is actually now available to me as a Pinside+ contributor. If I am correct and it's still an unavailable feature, I would like to know the ETA. This topic I'm posting in seems to have been around for many years. This functionality is basically a forum standard nowadays.

#13 6 months ago

I just sent you a PM reply, but will also copy some of that here.

First of all, thanks for your message and for supporting Pinside. Without that support the site wouldn't exist.

I will indeed soon add the long awaited notifications to the list of Pinside+ features. This will be done by means of an app (iOS + Android) and also via browser push notifications. I believe this works on all major browsers (desktop).

Get notified of someone mentioning you in a thread...

When I say soon, I'm hoping around 2-4 months for the app and a few weeks for the browser. It was a bit of a rocky ride as I have been working on a Pinside app for the past three years, going through multiple iterations, which all failed due to the complexity of the project (and the fact that I also have a lot of other work on my plate). Fun fact is that I have actually had working (browser) notifications ready for almost 3 years and have been close to release a long time. But it was never quite 100% ready.

In hindsight, I was probably a bit premature to put it on our Pinside+ feature list (or maybe just too enthusiastic). I apologise for that, it was in no way my intention to mislead people.

Some people asked me about e-mail notifications. Unfortunately, I have no plans of sending out notifications via e-mail because I think e-mail just wasn't build for instant notifications. I fear that the sheer volume of e-mails that would be sent out would a) bring the mail server to its knees and b) quickly get Pinside on all the spammer lists. So it's going to be push/browser notifications only. Unless someone can convince me otherwise

Anyways, thanks for your patience as I really am trying to get this thing to phones and browsers near you as soon as possible!

1 week later
    #14 6 months ago

robin Thanks, this will be awesome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 149.00
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Bat-Signal Projector Out of stock
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 199.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    Tools
    Troxel Repair
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside