(Topic ID: 19976)

How to add a Tournament Start button to ACDC (and other recent Sterns)

By John_I

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ACDC_Tournament_button003.jpg
ACDC_Tournament_button002.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I love the Tournament Start feature on the new Sterns and it is a shame that the button does not at least come on the new LE's and Premium. Fortunately it's not a difficult thing to hook up. The wires are coiled inside the cabinet near the buttons. There are two types of Tournament buttons that I have found. BAA sells a more expensive one ($13) with lugs on it that the existing wires can connect to directly (although you will need to connect the diode inline). The BAA Tournament button uses a #555 bulb. PBL sells a cheaper unit ($5) that has solder lugs on it like normal switches and sockets have. The PBL unit uses a #86 bulb. In either case you MUST replace the bulb with an LED if you are using it in an LE or Premium.

I used the PBL switch and soldered some 20 awg wires directly to it and ran them to a molex connector. I then cut the lugs off the existing wires in the cabinet and ran them to the other side of the molex, so the button can be disconnected.

Attached is the circuit from the manual and a diagram of what it translates to when hooking up the diode, switch and socket. If you look closely at the switch you can see the "C", "NC" and "NO' labels imprinted. If the LED does not light, it is probably just in backwards... The diode is a 1N4004 and connects between the "C" and "NC" terminals on the switch (banded side to the "C". If you are using the BAA style switch you can put the diode inline with the tan-violet wire connected to the non-banded side and the banded side connected to the "C" on the switch (no connection to the "NC" in this case). Use some tubing to cover the leads on the diode so it won't get shorted.

John

ACDC_Tournament_button002.jpgACDC_Tournament_button002.jpg ACDC_Tournament_button003.jpgACDC_Tournament_button003.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

16,500 (Firm)
$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-add-a-tournament-start-button-to-acdc-and-other-recent-sterns?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.