Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 74 days ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED9EA099-818B-45AE-B053-98AB3592B1A8 (resized).jpeg
    C80D53FC-8B65-4B2D-90CD-2ED8CBAC8AFC (resized).jpeg
    81673132-5B20-4020-BDF3-0694CDE4CD70 (resized).jpeg
    D8DE9427-73D1-44A7-ACC6-63F69896FAE4 (resized).jpeg
    ww (resized).PNG
    surrounds_spl.PDF (PDF preview)
    surrounds_impedance.PDF (PDF preview)
    615B90FE-3C27-48DC-B723-5DBC04BA7767 (resized).jpeg
    Speaker and crossover (resized).jpg
    L-pad installed (resized).jpg
    Speaker (resized).jpg
    Crossover & L-Pad (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image-773.jpg
    image-217.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nerbflong.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

I have an odd problem, hoping someone has seen it.
    When I power off a few of my WPC machines, my subs often begin humming. A low volume, low bass growl.
    I did some experimenting tonight to see if I could figure it out. When I turned off TZ, the humming began. So, I disconnected one of the input wires at the sub and the humming stopped, as expected. I reconnected it and it resumed. So, I unplugged TZ thinking that the removal of power to the machine would stop whatever feedback it was getting. Even with TZ unplugged, it continued. Odd. That makes me think it’s some sort of radio interference.
    I tried to see if I could find external interferences like LED lights or my phone. No dice.
    To be fair, the wire from the game to the sub is unshielded wire. Maybe that’s my problem.
    My setup is 10” Polk subs, one per machine.

I have his issue with Gottlieb games mostly. The speaker in the lower cabinet acts like microphone and the gain on your sub must be high as its amplifying the sound to create a feedback loop. Doesn't matter if the game is on or off. On some of my games you can slap the cabinet and it will start humming. I solved it my plugging the subs into the service plugs inside the game if it goes on/off with the game, or wiring in a 110 plug on the switch side of the pinball machine. So when you flip the pinball machine off, the sub is off.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from colofan:

Actually sounds like a ground loop problem. Are your subs plug into a different outlet than the game. This means the grounds are not the same and thus creates a 60Hz hum. Measure the ground on the sub and measure against the ground on the game. Also loose grounding straps can also cause this issue to come up.

I don't think its a ground loop issue either as I've tried ground lifting, ground loop isolators and such. Its just a feedback loop from high gain and the speaker producing a signal. I believe I disconnected the lower cabinet speaker and the hum goes away.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nerbflong.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-add-a-cheap-sub-under-40-that-sounds-awesome-to-your-wpc-game?tu=nerbflong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.