Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED9EA099-818B-45AE-B053-98AB3592B1A8 (resized).jpeg
    C80D53FC-8B65-4B2D-90CD-2ED8CBAC8AFC (resized).jpeg
    81673132-5B20-4020-BDF3-0694CDE4CD70 (resized).jpeg
    D8DE9427-73D1-44A7-ACC6-63F69896FAE4 (resized).jpeg
    ww (resized).PNG
    surrounds_spl.PDF (PDF preview)
    surrounds_impedance.PDF (PDF preview)
    615B90FE-3C27-48DC-B723-5DBC04BA7767 (resized).jpeg
    Speaker and crossover (resized).jpg
    L-pad installed (resized).jpg
    Speaker (resized).jpg
    Crossover & L-Pad (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image-773.jpg
    image-217.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 9 years ago

Just got a Whirlwind and was set to order this upgrade, but the inductors are out of stock. Thing is, Amazon is almost out of stock on the speakers... I can guess what will happen if I wait for the inductors to come back in :/ Is there another inductor that would work?

Also, anyone have any insight on using this for a System 9? I've read that Space Shuttle benefits from a boost visa other means, but I like the elegance of this system. Thing is, that era machine only uses one oval speaker in the backbox, and I'm not sure how the onboard amp is spec'd... I can research this later, but figured I would ask if anyone already "knows" one way or another?

#48 9 years ago

OK, just for reference, after a bit of reading, if I understand correctly a quick & dirty rule of thumb would be a lower inductance (mh) value raises the crossover frequency; a higher value lowers the frequency. Which is what I suspected, but confirmation is always good.

According to the chart I found here:

http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter1.html

For the 8ohm Pyramid woofer, a 8mh inductor value yields a 159Hz crossover. Going to 7mh yields 182Hz; going to 9mh yields 141Hz.

My personal preference is not to drown out the backbox speakers as some have reported, so I went with the 7mh value to pass some of the higher frequencies, though overall it sounds like it should still be heavily low-end focused. Guess I'll find out soon enough...!

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

can I just pop old one out and new one in...or are there other things I must do.....(I read the OP...I don't want to "upgrade"...I just don't want ripped ones)

In general, changing nothing else, you want to match the size (cone diameter and/or mounting flange, for fit), and the impedance rating (in ohms). The impedance is important as that will match the rest of the circuitry - deviating too much can cause poor sound or even damage other components. Usually the impedance is marked on the speaker and easily identified. So just pick a speaker of the right size with a matching ohm value (usually either 8, 6, or 4 ohms), and that's that for a quick safe swap (make sure to keep the + and - terminals correct).

Of course there "can" be other considerations: speakers are also spec'd by efficiency, freq response, power, etc... things get more complicated when you pursue the rabbit hole of "better sound" or even "best theoretically possible replacement"... but if you just want to fix a rattling rip, stick with size and impedance, any new decent speaker shouldn't be much worse than what was there originally.

#51 9 years ago

In general, watts is the rating of power that a speaker can handle. If the original rating is known, try to match if you can. A higher rating is OK... Compared to a lower rating which might get blown out by the original circuitry (amplifier).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-add-a-cheap-sub-under-40-that-sounds-awesome-to-your-wpc-game?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.