(Topic ID: 182869)

How Thick Are Bally BMX & Medusa Backglasses?

By Gatecrasher

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RazerX
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-26 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

A customer of mine ordered two 1/8" lift channels and returned them saying they do not fit either of these backglasses.

Every Bally I've ever seen made after 1980 has a 1/8" thick backglass.

Bally produced Medusa in 1981.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1565

Bally produced the BMX pinball machine in 1982 and is kind of rare.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=335

Does anyone know how thick the backglasses are for these two machines?

I'm kind of stumped on this. While I did not tell him that they were 1/8" prior to him placing the order, I would have guessed they were both 1/8" thick.

Unless I am 100% certain though, I usually ask the buyers to measure their backglasses if they ask me how thick they are before ordering.

I do this because the CPR repops are only 1/8" thick regardless and I have no way of telling what they have.

Can anyone confirm the thickness of these backglasses? I am trying to compile a database.

#2 7 years ago

My BMX glass is for sure 3/16". Will have to check my Medusa and get back to you.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

My BMX glass is for sure 3/16". Will have to check my Medusa and get back to you.

That's good info! I didn't know that any Bally game from 1982 still used a 3/16" backglass but BMX is an oddball with only 400 or so produced. I also see that there were two versions of the backglass (an early version and a later one).

Which one do you have?

#4 7 years ago

Medusa is 1/8". I would be surprised BMX being 3/16", why would Bally have gone back to 3/16" (and a much heavier glass) when 1/8" was already introduced.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Medusa is 1/8". I would be surprised BMX being 3/16", why would Bally have gone back to 3/16" (and a much heavier glass) when 1/8" was already introduced.

That was my belief too but BMX is an oddball machine with only around 400 units produced so I wasn’t sure. It also had two versions of the backglass. If it truly is 3/16” thick, it is the only Bally manufactured after 1980 that I've ever heard of that has one that thick (and I've been selling these lift channels and edge trim for over 10 years now).

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=335

I would like to see a picture of someone measuring one with a pair of calipers and/or a few others with this pin chime-in.

Then it would be indisputable.

#6 7 years ago

Jeff Bmx 3/16 Medusa 1/8. Thanks for your good work!!

#7 7 years ago

My BMX is one of the early ones. It's the proto #3 that is on the ipdb. There are some pretty clear PF differences, but I had not heard of the back glasses being different.

#8 7 years ago

Well I guess I'll ad BMX to the database as having a 3/16" thick backglass made in 1982.

You learn something new every day on Pinside!

Thanks guys

image-26 (resized).jpgimage-26 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

That's the one. Just checked my Medusa and that one is 1/8". BMX must be an anomaly then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
BMX
Cinnaminson, NJ
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-thick-are-bally-bmx-medusa-backglasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.