(Topic ID: 100845)

How The Heck Do Ya Make Time For This Hobby?

By HighProtein

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Strange
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

I don't. I buy project machines for super cheap, put them into my shed and don't touch them. Occasionally I'll get pissed at the amount of projects I haven't touched so far and just buy a working machine.

#52 9 years ago

I play games of pinball in my head. You can do those anywhere or anytime.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Grrrrrrrr..... You SoCal guys KILL ME..."just unplug the AC" WTF - here it is 95 f$%&ing degrees and 80% humidity, feels like a sweat box. I am moving...some day
    HERE - empty spot waiting for Chad Keller to arrive

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I thought the same thing.
    Right now here, its 101 with 85% humidity. My car is going to be like an indian sweat lodge when I leave work.

Will you Southern guys stop whining about the heat? You've got the best damn BBQ in the country - that's the trade-off for sweating your ass off in the summer. Here in Jersey we just have pizza and bagels. Oh yeah ... and temperatures that have only topped 90 one day this summer.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

I'm laid off 6 months out of the year with no wife, kids or girlfriend. I wake up and work on pins and then sleep most of the days I am laid off. Its killing me, would not recommend it.

How do you afford pins working 6 months a year? #signmeup

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Grrrrrrrr..... You SoCal guys KILL ME..."just unplug the AC" WTF - here it is 95 f$%&ing degrees and 80% humidity, feels like a sweat box. I am moving...some day
    HERE - empty spot waiting for Chad Keller to arrive

image.jpg 170 KB

are you going to shoot him when he shows up?

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

How do you afford pins working 6 months a year?

Probably the same as working three days a week. Mac and cheese!

#57 9 years ago

My EX use to say we never would have had children if I didn't toss and turn in my sleep.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Will you Southern guys stop whining about the heat? You've got the best damn BBQ in the country - that's the trade-off for sweating your ass off in the summer. Here in Jersey we just have pizza and bagels. Oh yeah ... and temperatures that have only topped 90 one day this summer.

It is damn good BBQ, but I personally still think NC BBQ is better than SC. )

They've tried bringing the water down from NY/NJ to try and make good bagels like you have, but they still sucked in comparison.

#59 9 years ago

Some of us west coasters do a pretty mean BBQ as well. Goes good with the Jack and cheese.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I personally still think NC BBQ is better than SC.

You're welcome up here anytime!

#61 9 years ago

Only way i will have time for the hobby, is to retire,
    which i have done now this month,
    but unfortunately i am finding that i am now too old
    now to do much with the games i have,
    cause it is very hard work to move games and to bend over and strain your back to work on them.
    Definitely a younger persons hobby.
    My back is aching from just breaking down a couple dozen games
    and preparing to move just a small part of my collection up north.
    Slowing coming to realize you can not have them all and you can not take them all with you.
    One is not enough, but you have to know when to say enough is enough.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Slowing coming to realize you can not have them all

I told you I'd be willing to help. Hit me up before I get too old.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I retired at 49.
    I don't know how all the young guys do it.

Awesome. I'm 45 and see the light at the end of the tunnel. We have one kid that's moving out in a week, and I'm looking to retire from the rat race job by 50. I carve only a little time out for pinball ... too much else in this world to enjoy before the game is over.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I don't have kids.

This.. also me and my wife work slightly different schedules, so I get an hour each morning if I really wanted to take a bite out of a project every morning. My wife is pretty accepting of my hobby, and she likes playing. Hell, she even wants to help fix them, but in order to teach I feel like I have to become an expert myself first, but she's done a few things here and there.

#65 9 years ago

For me full time job during the week, shopping out games on weekend (if I have nothing else planned). Of course my projects are going much slower now that I am employed but I will take a paycheck + experience in my occupation over this hobby any day.

1 week later
    #66 9 years ago

I read somewhere that hobbies aren't your passions. The difference being passions you are willing to suffer for, whereas a hobby you engage with usually for its relaxation capabilities. A passion is hard to replace, but with a hobby there are many substitutes.

It's all a state of mind. If you consider pinball a hobby it will be easy to put it away for awhile or completely even if need be for more important matters. If pinball is a passion you don't make excuses on it.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-the-heck-do-ya-make-time-for-this-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.