(Topic ID: 189427)

How "Star Wars" changed pinball and more.

By Mercury

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mercury
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Did the success of "Star wars" change pinball and our popular culture?”

• Yes it did..Space themes were hot from pins,video games,movies and more. 6 votes
      19%
    • No it did not. 25 votes
      81%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-8 (resized).jpg
    Backglass (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mercury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Up until "Star Wars" most pins I played had non space themes;Cards,Bowling,Cowboys,Clowns etc...After the movie

came out in 1977 I started to notice "Space themes";Count down,Stellar Wars,Tri zone, etc..This all coincided with the

introduction of sound boards in the pins which made you feel like you were playing the game in "outer space." No more

chimes..The success of the movie also rebooted "Star Trek"into a motion picture in 1979 and a pin.The movie "Close encounters" was also

made into a pinball machine.

On television were "Space" themed shows like"Quark","Battlestar Gallactica","Buck Rodgers" etc...Its interesting to note how when

something is immensely popular in our culture it spills over into many facets.Then starting in the eighties you had most video games with

a Space theme;"Space invaders","Asteroids" etc..I am not saying

there were not other themes in games..There was the immense success of "Donkey Kong" too but I guess business copies what is popular

whether it's the Disco fad,Outer Space or Roller skating to make money..Just some food for thought.Curious what you all

think..Thanks))

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

image-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Good opinions

#6 6 years ago

I think I should have used as the title;How "Star Wars" changed our media;TV and movies....

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions and critique.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mercury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-star-wars-changed-pinball-and-more?tu=Mercury and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.