You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 7 years ago

I purchased this Space Mission game about a month ago and have been playing it daily. The playfield is in very good shape, but has a few problems with the inserts. I've noticed an increase in wear around the inserts since we have had the game and would like to do something to protect it before it gets bad. I've read some threads that show how to do a full restoration, but I don't have the tools or the talent to do that. The main problems are cupping inserts and that white circle around each of the inserts. My initial thought was to replace all the inserts, but I have been warned about availability. In another thread Vid recommended painting the white circles with Creatix and an airbrush followed by filling the insert with automotive clear coat. I have finally wrapped my head around the airbrush and clear coat idea. Obviously it would be best to clear the entire playfield, but I don't have a compressor large enough to supply a professional sized spray gun. I also don't have the spray gun. I have three questions
1. What is needed to protect this playfield?
2. Is it possible to clear the entire field using the Harbor Freight airbrush?
3. Where can I buy the clear?
Thanks for the suggestions.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

If you don't want to clear the whole playfield you can level the existing inserts, wax and then mylar where protection is needed.

Use 2 part epoxy to re-glue the inserts in, since you are not going to clear I would just use a straight edge on the top of the playfield and push the insert up from the bottom until level and glue it in.

If you do want to clear, spring for a nicer compressor.
HF does have a 20 dollar clear coat sprayer if you want to go that route.

All of the info you need is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#3 7 years ago

One option is to just carnauba wax it. Put a new ball in it as well. Play it.

If you are not sure on clearing it, just leave it. You could totally ruin that nice playfield.

#4 7 years ago

Have you tried sourcing the inserts yourself?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

One option is to just carnauba wax it. Put a new ball in it as well. Play it.
If you are not sure on clearing it, just leave it. You could totally ruin that nice playfield.

I have a new ball and have put a couple of coats of Carnuba wax on it. I thought that would work while I decided what I wanted to do in the long term, but I have seem accelerated wear since we started playing the game. I'm surprised, because it looks like we have done more damage in a few weeks that what has been done in 40 years.

#6 7 years ago

What does everyone think about clearing the play field with Spraymax 2K auto clear? Although the process requires some effort it seems easy on required equipment. I can handle a spray can.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Have you tried sourcing the inserts yourself?

I found some, but not all of them at Pinball Resource.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-should-i-protect-this-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.