(Topic ID: 283549)

How servicable are American Pinball machines?

By Markharris2000

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I was looking for a magic themed machine, and keep seeing Houdini popping up. (Although TOM is on my bucket list). Never looked inside one from American, and wondered if there were any 'gotchas' in servicing them? Like parts availability, playfield quality, etc.

#2 3 years ago

At my work we have a Houdini and 2 Oktoberfest. They have been error free, so I’m not sure about availability of replacement parts but American and Spooky both have excellent play field quality.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

At my work we have a Houdini and 2 Oktoberfest. They have been error free, so I’m not sure about availability of replacement parts but American and Spooky both have excellent play field quality.

Parts are plentiful and based on established coil designs, etc. I wouldn’t be too concerned. The stage mech is fairly unique but AP has surplus, so I’d say you’re pretty good

#4 3 years ago

Easy. Simple to work on as any other game. I have Stern, CGC remakes, JJP, Bally/Williams, and American. American is as simple as stern. Very easy to work on. Don’t sweat it. Get a hot wheels!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:I was looking for a magic themed machine, and keep seeing Houdini popping up.

Josh Kugler aka rosh is active on pinside and you can always find help in the American threads. If you want a magic based pin Houdini is a great one. I have had no issues with mine.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Josh Kugler aka rosh is active on pinside and you can always find help in the American threads. If you want a magic based pin Houdini is a great one. I have had no issues with mine.

Bingo. Great shooter, fun tricks, absolutely packed to the gills with code

#7 3 years ago

Sounds like I have a machine to start looking for. Houdini theme sounds fun.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Sounds like I have a machine to start looking for. Houdini theme sounds fun.

Read through the owner’s thread a bit. There are a couple of adjustments you want to make to really get it dialed in

#9 3 years ago

You'll be fine. Support is good. If you can't figure something out yourself, or with pinsider help you just open a ticket with AP and the tech will help you out. I have had no troubles with my Houdini. Excellent game.

I would not overlook Hot Wheels either - it's priced right and a NIB is readily available.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Never looked inside one from American, and wondered if there were any 'gotchas' in servicing them? Like parts availability, playfield quality, etc.

They’re nothing to be afraid of. Many of the parts are off-the-shelf. Anything game specific is or will be added to the API webstore. https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/all

If buy new or used, I’m your guy for support: [email protected]
833-API-HELP
Or [email protected]

#11 3 years ago

Other than the motherboard and a couple of other custom pieces it's all extremely serviceable. WPC mechs for flippers, pops, slings, etc. and P3-ROC boards for coils, switches (no matrix!), and LEDs. The power supplies are simple and modular so those are easily fixed / replaced. As others have said having so many A.P. peeps active here on Pinside is a major bonus. Houdini is one of the most under-rated games ever IMO, I still play it more than any other game in my collection.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Other than the motherboard and a couple of other custom pieces it's all extremely serviceable. WPC mechs for flippers, pops, slings, etc. and P3-ROC boards for coils, switches (no matrix!), and LEDs. The power supplies are simple and modular so those are easily fixed / replaced. As others have said having so many A.P. peeps active here on Pinside is a major bonus. Houdini is one of the most under-rated games ever IMO, I still play it more than any other game in my collection.

Thrilled to hear this. Now if I could just figure out how to easily get a machine that is 7 hours away from me....

#13 3 years ago

7 hours one way is quite the drive. You could wait on finding a Houdini closer to you - in the meantime you could get a brand new Hot Wheels shipped to your door.... AP does a great job boxing their games. Probably the sturdiest shipping and packing for a NIB game. Probably the easiest no fuss, no muss way to add an AP game to your collection. Good luck in your pursuit of a Houdini.. Just mentioning Hot Wheels as I think it's a very good value and you should have no problem getting one fairly quickly if you want an option.

#14 3 years ago

Don't hesitate when considering AP games!

Tech support is the best out there. Dave takes all the time you need to go through an issue with you, in the unlikely event that you have an issue.

I bought a Houdini a couple of years back and sold it after a while. I missed it so much that I recently bought another one, NIB!

Brilliant game and no regrets!!

#15 3 years ago

I have Hot Wheels and it’s documentation is really bad, so far. Not sure why, perhaps it’s due to Covid-19 issues.

Houdini’s documentation and parts availability is much greater. Though there are almost no parts available on Marco. So, if you need parts the factory is your best solution.

https://store.american-pinball.com/search?q=Houdini

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

If you have any questions, contact me. I live in San Ramon.

Robert

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have Hot Wheels and it’s documentation is really bad, so far. Not sure why, perhaps it’s due to Covid-19 issues.
Houdini’s documentation and parts availability is much greater. Though there are almost no parts available on Marco. So, if you need parts the factory is your best solution.
https://store.american-pinball.com/search?q=Houdini
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/
If you have any questions, contact me. I live in San Ramon.
Robert

Thanks a million. I have my sights on a Houdini in SoCal, but making room for it, and then getting it trucked up to east bay are my next two hurdles. (Know of anyone driving to SoCal for xmas??? LOL)

#17 3 years ago

If you haven’t found someone to ship yet, try Chris Fox at sly fox shipping (209)403-8871. He moves Pinball‘s north and south in the state.

I haven’t used him personally, but a lot of people have and seem to always have a great experience.

Robert

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-servicable-are-american-pinball-machines?hl=meri-cah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.