3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinmister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm looking at a pin that has some light playfield planking near the top of the playfield. It's an expensive but older game ($8k). The playfield looks great otherwise, little wear in the areas where you would normally see wear. I tried googling and found mixed information.

Is this a big problem? What causes it? Will it continue to spread or get worse? How much does this devalue a pin in general?

Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

8 thousand dollar pin with planking? I would try to find one in better shape with that budget.
    I have solved planking by clear coating a stripped field, long process.
    Will it spread? Probably, shows the wood was in an extremely dry (or humid) environment for awhile. In other words it swelled with moisture and then dried out.

#3 3 years ago

I guess it is as serious as you want it to be. If it is an older game (90's or earlier) make sure no water damage, especially in the cabinet itself. If not, up to you if the cosmetic damage is worth your money. If newer game, I would avoid because is likely a bum playfield. But, for me, I wouldn't pay 8k for a playfield with planking. 8k needs to be mint or near mint.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

But, for me, I wouldn't pay 8k for a playfield with planking. 8k needs to be mint or near mint.

Keep in mind that for some rare classic games, that price might actually be low.

Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

Is this a big problem?

From a value and cosmetic standpoint, yes. Since the surface of the wood is no longer flat, paint loss will likely continue.

Moisture and temperature swings from being poorly stored usually. The game was probably stored in an unheated/uncooled place and subjected to daily and seasonal temperature and moisture changes.

Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

How much does this devalue a pin in general?

That depends on the game. If it's a common title, quite a bit. If it's an desirable and unobtainable title, it depends.

Would you be comfortable sharing the name of the game?

#5 3 years ago

I used to care about planking but over time have learned to let it go and it is part of pinball. It really is hit of miss with what games have planking. Certain older Stern titles almost always had planking-Spiderman is one of them. The playfields still hold up well and really does not affect much. Just got a brand new Jurassic Park NIB that I opened up that has planking, and I let it go. I guess I am too tired to bitch about it anymore, especially now that Chas is gone and it would be a waste of breath. I am not saying it is unfortunate or that companies should not try and improve QC, but I am over it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-serious-is-playfield-planking- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.