Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4AAB0E4-E503-45BA-82CF-DEE6E9FF3ADC (resized).jpeg
    30CDD5A5-E294-4962-B14B-D2EE2570A5C5 (resized).jpeg
    289E9C48-FC01-4078-90F3-5353DFD09325 (resized).jpeg
    D047AC3E-995E-4E3A-8517-EE82E7F6AE1D (resized).png
    4B31E876-480E-4037-90E8-8602FA4153C9 (resized).png
    79EFE212-AD41-4CD3-8BE8-5724DE5B0C16 (resized).png
    AFD5A82A-5196-4F98-BC59-A8C465B3D0D3 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210111-090820_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    63B2C378-E411-42E8-8B99-955703E43E03 (resized).jpeg
    D4043E8B-65EE-4B68-9E97-FF9518025797 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 3 years ago

The reason why TMNT (and similar "new" titles) always get "on top", is that early on, nearly the only people who have played them are the people who bought them early. And these people always rate them very highly for a few reasons...

1) If they didn't like the theme/design they probably wouldn't have bought it (except for those few people who buy EVERY new machine).
    2) They want to feel that they "made a good choice" and "got their money's worth".
    3) The "new" toy is usually the favorite toy, until that newness wears off.

I would think that a machine should not be listed until like 6 months after release. Just limiting it to 100 ratings or something will not do much (as it will still be the first 100 purchasers that are rating it). It really needs to be on location for a while, so people who haven't invested in a purchase also get to vote on it. Of course, the pandemic has made this even harder for now, as location play has dropped off greatly.

I would like to see an alternate Top 10 (or maybe 25) that is computed by everyone submitting their personal favorites list (in order). This would mean that everyone would be voting using the same "scale", and it would be much harder to try to manipulate the results (as the best you could do is rate 1 machine your favorite, and the worst you could do is not list a machine at all). No more "vote a 10 for all the machines I own and vote a 1 for all the others".

#30 3 years ago

The point is the list is not for yourself...it's for everyone else.
    And to see how your list compares to everyone else's.

If some game (say TZ) is listed near the top, then it says to people "this is a great game, you should check it out".
    And you may think WH20 is the best game ever, but other people list it as 35th.

Obviously, everyone already knows their own list...it's learning everyone else's list that is interesting.

1 month later
    #44 3 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

The issue with this is that if you had someone who only played awesome games or someone who only played crappy games, then their rankings would either artificially bring up or bring down the scores if you just average them. If you had forced-choice ranking data, I think it'd be better to come up with a score that could be used to estimate the probability that it would rank higher in a typical ranking than another machine (along the lines of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley%E2%80%93Terry_model).

The problem with this is that it would take a long time before you had enough pair comparisons to provide useful results (even if you forced a question at each log in). And by the time you do have useful data, a bunch of new machines will have come out - invalidating the data you finally have.

This is a great method if the data being compared is mostly static (i.e. listing the "best" presidents), but not so good when the choices keep changing (and when people tend to change their minds a lot).

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

They don't always get to the top right away.
    Two great pins, TWD and BM66, started out in the 100's for various reasons.
    BM66 due to such early code and some Stern hate based on the way they launched that game and SLE send in a video request etc.
    TWD, another Lyman game, had really early code too and was difficult to get dialed in.
    Both games had potential greatness and finally got there.
    THUS, due to the early barrage of negative voting those two pins will never reach the level they deserve based on more recent ratings.

Yes, that's true...but those two cases are the exceptions, and I would argue that this is reasonable.

For example, when I played TWD, I thought it sucked (and I still don't understand what people see in it) and it was likely that this was partially due to early code. But all too often, on location, the early code never gets updated by the operator (unless there is some problem that requires an update)...so that's the code that (non-owners) play and know (and rate by).

The BM66 near me still had no secondary villain modes the last time I played it (not sure what version it was, but was obviously early). And while I still like the game, I'm not going to give it a better rating just because someone on line says "the new code is great".

If you are going to release an unfinished game, you can't complain if people rate the game based on what they actually play, not what might eventually get released.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Not sure that’s rational. If a game has improved its code the scores should reflect that. I think equally as unfair as owners pumping up the scores of a new purchase are those who played a turd version of a game on location for 5 minutes and decided it sucks. I think this is especially a problem now that games are primarily going into people homes.

But that's my point, if you put out a "turd version" of a game, you can't be surprised when it ends up with a bunch of bad votes. Sure, maybe "some time later" the "good" version comes out, but odds are the (non-updated) machine out on location is still a "turd".

The people who buy the game (and update it) may be happy, but the guy who tries it out on location will walk away thinking it's a turd - and he'd be right.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

That's number 2 on his list already.
    The other problem with this format is somehow older games that are good, but not great have a strangle hold at the top. Monster Bash probably shouldn't be on there, yet here we are.

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

As long as medieval madness is in the top 5 it will be bogus to me.. cant stand that game.

I think MB and MM clearly deserve to be up at the top, and I think EHOH and POTC are over-rated. Just shows you how different people are different.

(and I think WH20 is way under-rated)

8 months later
    #125 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Since then, not a single new rating has come in. Pretty odd you get 42 new ratings come in overnight and then not another one for days.

They only update the ratings/rankings once a week, not as every rating comes in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-ridiculousthis-pinside-top-100-ranking?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.