How rare is DE Robocop Pinball? (1500 Units)

(Topic ID: 83779)

How rare is DE Robocop Pinball? (1500 Units)

By Bakushan

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stern_AC-DC_236787-upper (resized).jpg
RC T2 (resized).jpg
then-miguel-ferrer-played-hot-shot-executive-bob-morton-who-helped-bring-robocop-to-life (resized).jpg
IMG_4350 (resized).JPG
20160401_174620 (resized).jpg
20160401_174603 (resized).jpg
20160305_140022 (resized).jpg
20160305_140008 (resized).jpg
20160305_135958 (resized).jpg
11203369_10153297458322777_7400951663641505559_o (resized).jpg
11411894_10153297456257777_6642184424232181822_o (resized).jpg
20160929_083702 (resized).jpg
20160929_083643 (resized).jpg
20160929_083546 (resized).jpg
robocop-2.JPG
robocop-1.jpeg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I don't think it's really ''rare'' I have seen a few around my area from time to time,
it's one of those games where if you're not looking for it, it comes to you, and the other way around if you're looking for it.
Monday Night Football I would say is harder to get. Torpedo Alley is another.
Out of 1500, I would say 1000-1100 have survived if lucky.

I'd say that's pretty optimistic...more like 750 or less? Like you said the DE games weren't really built to last. Took me forever (a couple years really) to find one locally that wasn't snapped up before I could buy it. I think thanks to the awesome theme and sounds, the simple but challenging and satisfying gameplay, and the various youtube videos pumping it up this one has gotten pretty popular quickly.

All Robocops I see have nice playfields - I think they were all mylared.

I just got one, expected shape cab ain't so hot, nice playfield. Love the movie and it's a very fun game I've always looked forward to playing at Papa/Pinburgh. I always get a tech to crank the sound so I can play Robocop LE (Loud Edition).

Share your Robocop stories!!!

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

A lot of machines from that era were also destroyed by the operators / restaurants when they were done using them. Chucky-Cheese destroyed thousands of pins . . . MM, AFM, etc. . . . rather than them be used by competitors and to allow them to finish deducting them. My guess is many Robocops met this fate.

Well that was stupid of them.....

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from chucktee:

Well that was stupid of them.....

Why? They ran the numbers and it made perfect sense. It meant more to their bottom line to destroy games they no longer wanted then to sell them to people who would just be competition.

#54 1 year ago

I have one in my line up and love it for the theme alone. The game play is very simple shoot ramp lock balls get multiball shoot ramp for jackpot. I have a replacement set of plastics for it but have not put them on yet. I'm afraid the crazy powerful flippers will kill the new plastics. If it was up to my wife it would be the first to go but I think that's becuase i have mine setup very hard. Not easy to hit the ramp on mine so ball times are very short. Murphy is that you!

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from cyroute:

I have one in my line up and love it for the theme alone. The game play is very simple shoot ramp lock balls get multiball shoot ramp for jackpot. I have a replacement set of plastics for it but have not put them on yet. I'm afraid the crazy powerful flippers will kill the new plastics. If it was up to my wife it would be the first to go but I think that's becuase i have mine setup very hard. Not easy to hit the ramp on mine so ball times are very short. Murphy is that you!

You don't go for the spinner to get it back up top and score big points? I thought the spinner could be lucrative.

#56 1 year ago

The pin is damn fun, I think its just a matter of time before they become sought after, I've owned many many pins and this one stays in the collection, fast and furious, good shots and music, love it.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't go for the spinner to get it back up top and score big points? I thought the spinner could be lucrative.

It is, once all 3 criminals are arrested its worth 3K a spin and its a great spinner shot.

#58 1 year ago

I have one in my line up too. One heck of a fun game. The upgraded speakers and subwoofer make the game really enjoyable.

20160929_083546 (resized).jpg

20160929_083643 (resized).jpg

20160929_083702 (resized).jpg

#59 1 year ago

1500 isn't as rare as you think. Robocop is a newer game, so more survived than you think. It's not like the EM and SS days,when ops would pitch games in the trash so other Ops couldn't buy them cheap. That's why 1500 run on something from the 70's and early 80's usually is much less than something in the late 80's and 90's. Those days, things would go to auction or be in warehouses with parts out of them, but still savable. it's an Ok game, but not as fun as most DE games from this era. POTO, TA, TM, and LA are much better games.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's an Ok game, but not as fun as most DE games from this era. POTO, TA, TM, and LA are much better games.

Ur way off, I like all those pins and Robocop holds it own.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh Yeah once you have all three lit the spinner is the go to shot that and trying to spell robocop for an extra ball. Only issue with the spinner shot is when the ball comes out of the pops on the left side it likes to bounce and head STDM...

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

1500 isn't as rare as you think. Robocop is a newer game, so more survived than you think. It's not like the EM and SS days,when ops would pitch games in the trash so other Ops couldn't buy them cheap. That's why 1500 run on something from the 70's and early 80's usually is much less than something in the late 80's and 90's. Those days, things would go to auction or be in warehouses with parts out of them, but still savable. it's an Ok game, but not as fun as most DE games from this era. POTO, TA, TM, and LA are much better games.

Yep, so incredibly common that 70 people have it listed in their collections on here. You can't hardly visit a town in all of the united states where you wouldn't see one of these. Everywhere I tell ya, falling off trees they are.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Yep, so incredibly common that 70 people have it listed in their collections on here. You can't hardly visit a town in all of the united states where you wouldn't see one of these. Everywhere I tell ya, falling off trees they are.

I see them at shows all the time, so I don't consider that rare. If it's something i've only seen at a show once ever in all the years of going to shows...then that's rare.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I see them at shows all the time, so I don't consider that rare. If it's something i've only seen at a show once ever in all the years of going to shows...then that's rare.

I've seen more Dimensions and Cactus Canyons at shows than I've seen Robos. In fact I've only seen 3 robocop games, ever, including mine. I've certainly never seen one on location, and I've seen two BBBs taking quarters!

There simply aren't a lot of them around. Of course rare is in the eye of the Neo.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I've seen prototypes at shows on more than on occasion, that doesn't make them any less rare. Your criteria is bunk. Especially since shows are usually when people are willing to haul things out since others have not seen it.

Relative to other machines robocop is rare and there are many on here who have never played/scene one. 1500 worldwide minus however many have been trashed over the years. Oh, and despite what you say many machines still get trashed. Fires, floods, neglect, or company policy they still wind up wrecked.

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

I've seen prototypes at shows on more than on occasion, that doesn't make them any less rare. Your criteria is bunk. Especially since shows are usually when people are willing to haul things out since others have not seen it.
Relative to other machines robocop is rare and there are many on here who have never played/scene one. 1500 worldwide minus however many have been trashed over the years. Oh, and despite what you say many machines still get trashed. Fires, floods, neglect, or company policy they still wind up wrecked.

I've seen as many King Kongs at shows as I have Robocops. Therefore they are both equally rare.

For those of us who have been bickering with Neo online forever, this kind of logic is old hat.

#67 1 year ago

I have my Robocop at a local pinball club with about 30 other games- it's steadily been the second most played game there behind Hobbit LE and ahead of games such as Metallica, and Stern Kiss. The game is simple, but challenging and has one of the best spinner shots ever. Regarding it being rare, i wouldn't say rare, but certainly not a lot of them out there.

#68 1 year ago

ROBOCOP should always be spelled in all caps because it's awesome.

ROBOCOP and Time Machine are a couple of the only worthwhile DE games. My opinion though. Some people like that dumpster fire called Tommy.

#69 1 year ago

I don't consider CC that rare. A 900-1000 of something in this hobby is a lot more accessible than you may think. Especially when it was released as a special collectors edition. Meaning most of those didn't rot in a warehouse getting parted out. But until Expo this year I have never seen a spirit at a show and they made like 1200 of those. I guess when you see something all the time, you don't really feel the rarity of it compared to something you never see and finally see one for the first time. I've even played Robocop used in tournaments on several occasions. Different regions seem to have more and less clusters of games as well. I think we have a lot of robocops over here.

#70 1 year ago

Not a bad game at all, pretty simple and straight forward but fun. Last year I saved one destined for the scrap heap, had no backglass but got a NOS from Mayfair and managed to get a ramp as this one was totally warped.

11203369_10153297458322777_7400951663641505559_o (resized).jpg11411894_10153297456257777_6642184424232181822_o (resized).jpg20160305_140022 (resized).jpg20160305_140008 (resized).jpg20160305_135958 (resized).jpg20160401_174620 (resized).jpg20160401_174603 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#71 1 year ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Not a bad game at all, pretty simple and straight forward but fun. Last year I saved one destined for the scrap heap, had no backglass but got a NOS from Mayfair and managed to get a ramp as this one was totally warped.

WOW! Impressive work man. What are those NOS backglasses going for? You do have to fix something - the "DE" and "In Digital Stereo" boxes in your backglass are not supposed to be transparent - they are blue and red, police lights. You can probably make something like the ridged original, or even just cheap gels to make it work. Supposed to look like;

I'm rethinking my shit on Robocop's rarity and other DE games.

Yeah, they made 1500 of them but those early DE's were built like shit. The cabinet literally falls apart as do many of the things that are supposed to hold the games together. They are nowhere near as durable as System 11 games or even the Gottlieb stuff.

A game like Robocop, I think there are only a couple hundred left. I've been collecting, buying, selling, trading, whatever games for over 15 years. Hundreds of games, all the time. Until this month I'd never gotten so much of a whiff of one - never seen one for sale locally, never been offered one in a trade, nothing. I've only ever seen it at a couple shows and PAPA. You can't tell me there are twice as many of these around as there are Dimensions or Pop a cards, which I've owned tons of both.

Time Machine is another one. The early DEs I've played have been fun games, but unfortunately I've only played a few. I think most just fell apart and got trashed and there aren't many around.

IMG_4350 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#72 1 year ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Where did you find the ramp? Mayfair?

1 week later
#73 1 year ago

OK, obviously mods are lame and I hate 'em...but uhhh...anybody want to make a kickass Ed-209 mod to replace that shitty chintzy plastic ed-209 by the spinner that looks absolutely awful?

I love the way the guns light up with every spin but man is that a bad Ed-209. If someone came up with a movie-like replacement for it I'd certainly consider getting on a list to possibly maybe pre-order one.

Also, someone needs to fix the sound rom so during Ed-209 hurry up he says "you now have 10 seconds to comply!"

I mean...how did they miss that?!

#74 1 year ago

If ROBOCOP wasnt so similar in layout to T2, I would have tried to find one by now. I L.O.V.E. the movie, I just cant have two similar pins in my small line up. Any one wanna trade plus cash? LOL.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

If ROBOCOP wasnt so similar in layout to T2, I would have tried to find one by now. I L.O.V.E. the movie, I just cant have two similar pins in my small line up. Any one wanna trade plus cash? LOL.

if one comes up get it, it won't affect T2.

#76 1 year ago

They aren't very similar. I mean, they are both pinball machines, but I've never once been playing Robocop and thought "Wow, this sure reminds me of T2!"

#77 1 year ago

It looks like with the recent passing of Miguel Ferrer, the cost of this game is on the rise.

losangeles.craigslist.org link

then-miguel-ferrer-played-hot-shot-executive-bob-morton-who-helped-bring-robocop-to-life (resized).jpg

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

It looks like with the recent passing of Miguel Ferrer, the cost of this game is on the rise.
losangeles.craigslist.org link

Nah that's a fair asking price for a Robo these days.

And yes we are all mourning Bob Morton. He's put in an amazing performance in a movie filled with amazing performances. And I always thought Dick Jones would be the first to go.

"Ahhh fuck jones! The guy is a pussy, lost his edge!"

#79 1 year ago

I just sold one for $1200. game is ok. I believe topscore gamerooms in festus mo. has one for sale if anyone is looking.

#80 1 year ago

Thanks man, I sold it awhile back I thought it was a fun pin but was never a keeper I got it for less that I paid for the new backglass and thought that it's better for me to put some time into saving a pin than for another machine to end up in landfill. I got the backglass from Mayfair Amusements, $350USD I believe. I ended up using camera filter plastics I got off ebay in their place although they were just normal plastic not like the textured originals.

You're spot on with the DE's compared to Sys11's. I don't think their super strength flippers helped the playfields much either!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WOW! Impressive work man. What are those NOS backglasses going for? You do have to fix something - the "DE" and "In Digital Stereo" boxes in your backglass are not supposed to be transparent - they are blue and red, police lights. You can probably make something like the ridged original, or even just cheap gels to make it work. Supposed to look like;
I'm rethinking my shit on Robocop's rarity and other DE games....

#81 1 year ago

I dunno, to me this is too similar of a layout.

RC T2 (resized).jpg

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I just sold one for $1200. game is ok. I believe topscore gamerooms in festus mo. has one for sale if anyone is looking.

Sounds about right to me. I traded mine some years ago for a game I valued at 1200 (very nice Secret Service), then I traded that game for another game I valued at 1200 (LW3), then I sold that game 3 years ago for $1200. So yeah, you're spot on.

It's a great and FAST as hell game. I called it the Johnny Mnemonic of the 80's to other pinball people and most agreed. After owning it for about a year, I was happy to pass it along for someone else to enjoy. First pinball with Solid State MPU controlled flippers as well. That's why the targets and plastics are ALWAYS destroyed on this title.

#83 1 year ago

I dunno, to me this is too similar of a layout.

Then u are smoking something powerful, AC/DC and T2 ok, if its too similar then don't do it.

Stern_AC-DC_236787-upper (resized).jpg

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

if its too similar then don't do it.

lol, are you reading my sentences? i said i wanted one but cant do it because of the similarities. id probably up for trading my t2 for a rc plus cash though just to mix it up.

#85 1 year ago

while there might be a tiny bit of resemblance to T2 the game play is NOTHING like it at all. Don't let that hold you back from buying one. On the other hand if you don't want two Cyborg themed pins i can fully understand it. T2 and Robocop are both excellent pins for different reasons.

#86 1 year ago

Ive never actually PLAYED RC, so this is based purely on layout. Ive never SEEN a robocop in person, I just love the movie so much that I want one, ha.

#87 1 year ago

I just love the movie so much that I want one, ha.

I have to agree. This would look awesome next to my SST. I need to make room and start looking for one.

#88 1 year ago

Ive never actually PLAYED RC, so this is based purely on layout. Ive never SEEN a robocop in person, I just love the movie so much that I want one, ha.

Yeah me too, top ten films of all time for me and thats why I bought one, but the gameplay will keep it around for a while, I loved T2 also yet it was gone pretty fast. I hope some day you get a chance to own RC. Good Luck

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 109.00
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 189.99
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside