(Topic ID: 83779)

How rare is DE Robocop Pinball? (1500 Units)

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_AC-DC_236787-upper (resized).jpg
RC T2 (resized).jpg
then-miguel-ferrer-played-hot-shot-executive-bob-morton-who-helped-bring-robocop-to-life (resized).jpg
IMG_4350 (resized).JPG
20160401_174620 (resized).jpg
20160401_174603 (resized).jpg
20160305_140022 (resized).jpg
20160305_140008 (resized).jpg
20160305_135958 (resized).jpg
11203369_10153297458322777_7400951663641505559_o (resized).jpg
11411894_10153297456257777_6642184424232181822_o (resized).jpg
20160929_083702 (resized).jpg
20160929_083643 (resized).jpg
20160929_083546 (resized).jpg
robocop-2.JPG
robocop-1.jpeg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I was just made aware of such a thing today. It looks pretty... plain... but it seems to be a rare machine! Is it?

#2 10 years ago

In two and half years of buying machines, I've only come across it once.

#3 10 years ago

There was one of these in a local burger shop for quite a while. Playfield was completely mylared, missing a flipper, dirty as all, but otherwise looked not too bad, didn't look like it'd been turned on in quite a while. Went back on the weekend to see if it was for sale and I think someone beat me to the punch.

#4 10 years ago

All working and nice is 1k ish

Play is brutal tough.

Fun because ball times are very short

Flippers are so strong that posts are usually bent or broken.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Flippers are so strong that posts are usually bent or broken.

This seems very typical of this era Data East. My brother has a DE Simpsons and those damn flippers feel like you are about to shoot the ball through the back of the cabinet.

#6 10 years ago

I see them come up for sale once or twice a year

I have one, fun game
Pity they did not do a better job on thebsckglass

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

All working and nice is 1k ish

Not anymore...

Fun game... brutal as hell.

#8 10 years ago

I have 9 pins including fun house, arabian nights and kiss. Robo cop is the one i play most. Simple concept but brutally tough. Keeps me coming back for more. Hard to find big time.

#9 10 years ago

Not a bad game. Only seen one once and it was at nw show.

#10 10 years ago

There's a Robocop at the Pacific Pinball Museum. I like it as well as Time Machine and Phantom of the Opera. All will give off a good pin-glass bang/beating to wake you up. Those glass hit sounds are almost as rewarding as a knock.

#11 10 years ago

There's 2 here near by for $500 each but no one bites because the game isn't very good at all. I'm a Robocop movie lover but not going for the pin because I've been there,done that on these type of games.

#12 10 years ago

its not rare. rare is 100 units of a game...esp if made 20+ years ago. its nto as common as kiss, playboy or taf, but its not "rare". seen plenty of them the past 15 years. one sold at auction for $950 in front of me that was very nice last year.
it can still be had from $700- $1100 all day long pending condition.

#13 10 years ago

$700-$1000 all day long? I rarely even see them for sale any more, at any price, and they wholesale for more than that unless very rough. We have one for sale right now and wouldn't take under $2K, though that is shopped...Pinsiders wouldn't pay that but joe public does. Hard to find many games at all that are worth a darn for under $1000 these days!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

There's 2 here near by for $500 each but no one bites because the game isn't very good at all. I'm a Robocop movie lover but not going for the pin because I've been there,done that on these type of games.

Got any contact info on the $500 robocops? I would be interested.

#15 10 years ago

I've got a Robocop that I will be selling but it definitely will not be at $1000... quite a bit more actually. I've got one person that I owe pictures to but otherwise it will be for sale at MGC in a month...

Jaz

#16 10 years ago

Local collector has one, but not gonna out him.

#17 10 years ago

It's a fun pin in a big collection and looks cool in led's but the shots and gameplay is barely ok.

Right loop for random. That's all it does.

Right ramp is cool but all it does is lock them in jail and the Ed-209 hurry up. Which may be the funnest hurry up ever. But that's it.

Don't shoot the yellow targets they are death.

Left spinner and loop does nothing but score some points.

It's a fun game with 4 players because you can barely take a drink and it's your turn.

Compared to other 1-2k games this is a 800 pin.

#18 10 years ago

There's a Robocop in a comic shop near me. I only played it a couple times, but I'd give it another try. This PAPA tutorial vid can provide way more info than me tho.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I was purely curious. I didnt even know such a thing existed.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Got any contact info on the $500 robocops? I would be interested.

My buddy had it a few months ago & asked if I wanted it. I'll see if it's still available.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Thanks for the info guys. I was purely curious. I didnt even know such a thing existed.

You know what's even rarer? Robocop 2014 Pin.

#22 10 years ago

I've also seen them come and go.. About as rare as any of the earlier DE pins..

#23 10 years ago

someone well known had one also on pinside this past year for $1200 i believe and it was for sale for a long time. not sure what it ended up selling at. it had a very nice PF.
its not a DMD pin...and all you do is shoot the right ramp or right loop over and over to score well.
but heh, if anyone wants to pay up to 2k or more for one, more power to them.

#24 10 years ago

FWIW the highest one ever that sold on epay sold for $1500.

#25 10 years ago

There was one on craigslist in my area a few weeks back for $1500.00

#26 10 years ago

I have one..

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

someone well known had one also on pinside this past year for $1200 i believe and it was for sale for a long time. not sure what it ended up selling at. it had a very nice PF.
its not a DMD pin...and all you do is shoot the right ramp or right loop over and over to score well.
but heh, if anyone wants to pay up to 2k or more for one, more power to them.

I don't know that I'd pay very much for one, by sometimes these types of games have far more to do with the nostalgia factor than the game play quality. People especially guys spend all sorts of money to find items that act as a time machine to them. For me a similar title would be TMNT. I'm hoping stern does a rehash on that with the new movie. Not likely though.

#28 10 years ago

I own the Robocop full sized vid and the Robocop Pachinko machine.. Only reason I'd own the pin was just because it was Robocop, not because it was a good pin.

DSC01104.JPGDSC01104.JPG

#29 10 years ago

I had one I got in a storage deal but it was missing the boards, backglass and had some broken plastics and a broken speaker panel.
The parts were more than the game was worth so I parted it out.
I had shopped the PF but couldn't find a lot of the parts.
The PF went to another Robo owner as a drop in replacement.
I don't think there are a lot of these out there anymore.

Robo PF 001.jpgRobo PF 001.jpg

#30 10 years ago

I mean, if it was 1500 in 1990, then how many could really be left?

#31 10 years ago

A lot of machines from that era were also destroyed by the operators / restaurants when they were done using them. Chucky-Cheese destroyed thousands of pins . . . MM, AFM, etc. . . . rather than them be used by competitors and to allow them to finish deducting them. My guess is many Robocops met this fate.

#32 10 years ago

Too bad really since I really think it's a fun game. I know some here are bashing it but if you compare it to other games of that era (1989), it got similar depth. It's VERY fast and very challenging. Rules are simple but hard to execute.

Maybe I should keep it...

Jaz

#33 10 years ago

Is this the game with the jump ramp? I always thought that was pretty cool.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is this the game with the jump ramp? I always thought that was pretty cool.

Yes it is, and that is a great feature.

#35 10 years ago

I have to say, watching PAPA play this kind of makes me want to play it. It looks like a late '70s/early '80s playfield layout, albeit made in 1989. Looks fast and fun to me!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

There was one of these in a local burger shop for quite a while. Playfield was completely mylared, missing a flipper, dirty as all, but otherwise looked not too bad, didn't look like it'd been turned on in quite a while. Went back on the weekend to see if it was for sale and I think someone beat me to the punch.

That was at boogies. Last time I was there I wanted to buy it too.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from boris_37:

That was at boogies. Last time I was there I wanted to buy it too.

Yep - was there last weekend and it was gone. Don't mind missing it as looked like a project for sure, but hope it didn't end up in the dumpster.

2 months later
#38 9 years ago

After reading all that, I think I want one . Bad

#39 9 years ago

One of the guys in our league has a Robocop machine, actually he had JUST gotten it prior to my joining the league a couple months back. It's still in decent shape all things considered and is one of the few machines I recognized as I was getting back into real pinball since I had played this one as a kid back in the early 90's. : )

#40 9 years ago

I bought one last year that needed some love. It was a fully working machine but had lots of cracked & broken plastics and cabinet was about a 7 or so - otherwise a decent machine. I bought it for $500 and thought I got a great deal.

After cleaning playfield and shopping it I played it some and looking at the broken plastics I decided it wasn't for me so I listed it on Craig's List for $600 or $650. After over a month I finally got it sold for $535 (if I remember correctly). I do remember I didn't get enough out of it to cover parts I put into it let alone time working on it or fuel & time to go get it.

If I found another one for under $600 I might consider it but it would have to be pretty nice for me to buy it. Plastics are normally broken on this machine and are impossible to find.

#41 9 years ago

Love the movie so couldn't resist picking one up and yeah it was fun for a week or two then the realization hits pretty quick that the gameplay sucks.

#42 9 years ago

Ive never seen one.

#43 9 years ago

I still have the high speed with the robo playfield if anyone is interested its been sitting in my garage for a few weeks.

#44 9 years ago

It's scarce.
It's not a high demand
or demand at all
so it doesn't move much
so you don't find it for sale much
so the price doesn't move up at all.

BUT!
It WOULD look cool next to the arcade game.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Yep - was there last weekend and it was gone. Don't mind missing it as looked like a project for sure, but hope it didn't end up in the dumpster.

If anyone is looking for one to play in Calgary, the one at Boogies is back. Richardson revived it and did a good job. Stop by for their their triple bypass burger or whatever it's called and a game.

#46 9 years ago

What is the new price on the HS with the RoboCop pf?

#47 9 years ago

I don't think it's really ''rare'' I have seen a few around my area from time to time,
it's one of those games where if you're not looking for it, it comes to you, and the other way around if you're looking for it.
Monday Night Football I would say is harder to get. Torpedo Alley is another.

Out of 1500, I would say 1000-1100 have survived if lucky. It's been well over 20 years...and one thing about Data East pins is their cabinets come apart pretty easy, they don't hold up well at all.

And the people that say, ''yeah but it's not that good'' Everything in its time. It's not from the dmd era, so it needs to be compared to a system 11 or the questionable cost cutting ridiculous stuff Gottlieb was putting out at this time. It is Robocop...so right there it makes it unique.

I'd like to have the silver cabinet version

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I mean, if it was 1500 in 1990, then how many could really be left?

No scientific proof...but for game made prior to 1990 that isn't a "collector" pin I have heard that you take off 20% off the market for ten years...then 20% off that for the next ten and so on.

If this were true there would be around 960 out there in the "market".

I actually have seen several for sale...when priced around $1,000 they seem to move quickly, prolly cause of the theme.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from BeaverBrewing:

No scientific proof...but for game made prior to 1990 that isn't a "collector" pin I have heard that you take off 20% off the market for ten years...then 20% off that for the next ten and so on.

I would have expected any formula to start with higher percentage losses and reduce it over time. Because from what I've heard, many games got parted out or dumped by operators pretty quickly after they stopped making money on route.

#50 9 years ago

saw my 1st one ever at TxPinFest 2014.
didn't even realize it existed

was cool to come across.

_robocop-1.jpg_robocop-1.jpg

robocop-1.jpegrobocop-1.jpeg

robocop-2.JPGrobocop-2.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-rare-is-de-robocop-pinball-1500-units and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.