(Topic ID: 188230)

How old were you when you purchased your first game?

By Puffdanny

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Neal_W
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I was 12 years old when I bought my first game Capt. Fantastic in 1986 with my own money($250) i saved from my paper route and cutting lawns and it still resides in my living room to this day.I found it a few miles away from home in the Trading Times classifieds and my dad took me to get it.I used to kick my dad's butt at it and he would get on me for cheating because I new how to nudge lol.whats your story?

#2 6 years ago

A beater BOP for $1000 at 24 in 2010.

Coulda grabbed a mint Congo for $850 while I was there, but who the hell woulda wanted a game based on that awful movie??!

#3 6 years ago

I was 24 when I bought TZ.

#4 6 years ago

Was 14 in 1984. Stern dracula 275.00. Just reacquired the same game after 30 years in storage and will restore it.

#5 6 years ago

24 years old. Gottlieb Pinball Pool, when it came out.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

13,............... Sing a long

Sorry, Forgot....11...Safari

#7 6 years ago

I was 32 (Space Shuttle). 29 when I got my first vid.

#8 6 years ago

I was 32 years old and was waiting for my tax return in 1996. I went down to a place in Coast Mesa that had some pins. I saw a Data East Batman for $1,100.00, I played it and I thought that was the game for me. Told the guy when I get the money I'll be back for it. So two weeks later I get the money and get there and there's no Batman. At first I was a bit sad, until I see they have a Data East Star Wars for $1,000.00. Played it, bought it, still have it. Today it's at my Mom and Dads house. My Mom is 80 years old and loves to play pinball. She plays Star Wars & Sopranos pin all the time. As she plays you'll hear her laugh and curse both. Makes me love pinball even more.

#9 6 years ago

I was 18.. Black Knight 1985.

#10 6 years ago

22 when I bought Hook at an auction in '99.

#11 6 years ago

32 - Picked up a POTO. Rented a truck and the owner and I had a hard time getting it in (we didn't take the legs off lol). He ended up backing the truck onto his yard so it was against his raised porch and that worked.

Drove it home with the legs on, parked and wondered how I was going to get it off. Sat there probably 15 minutes before I knocked on the neighbor's door for help. Good memories!

#12 6 years ago

30, bought a NIB TSPP

#13 6 years ago

Needs poll with age ranges.

Pinball has nothing to do with nostalgia for me. My hobby was video games and a few years ago I started playing Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade on a whim. I got hooked and decided to get a real pin. 3 years and 18 pins later I'm still hooked! I rarely play video games now.

#14 6 years ago

45 used No Fear 1100.00

#17 6 years ago

35. Bought TAF back in 2004.

#18 6 years ago

31, STTNG for $1500 in 2011

#20 6 years ago

27 when I bought my F14 Tomcat used in 1990 $1000

#21 6 years ago

17 and 14, pooled our resources to buy Firecracker.

#23 6 years ago

Started with coin op vids at 17 (Atari Assault). First pin: Alien poker at 31

#24 6 years ago

38 ac/dc premium nib

#25 6 years ago

Roommate and I bought a pin for our college dorm room (19). Ended up eventually squeezing 3 pins in the living room of our apt later on. Learned repairs when stuff broke, brought a Galaxy back from the dead, and had a blast playing with friends.

Collecting turned out to be one of my best choices, because I met my wife showing her how to play our pins in that same little apartment.

#26 6 years ago

44. Bought my childhood favorite, Bobby Orr Power Play.

#27 6 years ago

16. local operator was selling his EMs, single players were $100, two players were $120

bought a Gottlieb Sure Shot

#28 6 years ago

My first was at 27 and it was a nib LOTR bought for me as a surprise Christmas present by my wife. Yea, she's a keeper

#29 6 years ago

29. Bought an Eight Ball for $300. Had a 500 sf apartment at the time. Didn't leave room for much else. Never dawned on me that the folks in the apartment below me might not appreciate it when I was playing at 3 a.m. Turned out it was an 80-year-old lady that was deaf, and the only time it was a big deal was when her kids were there visiting.

#30 6 years ago

32 ... WH2O.

#31 6 years ago

23 when I got my first as a gift. DE Star Wars but when I was 30 I got a stern IJ4 and that started the extreme addiction.

#32 6 years ago

60...bought a Bally Playboy. 63...bought a Stern Big Game and sold the Playboy.

#33 6 years ago

31...the beloved Stern Stars.

#34 6 years ago

I was 22 in 2000, purchased F-14 tomcat.

#35 6 years ago

F-14 Tomcat at 47

#36 6 years ago

29. $100. Dipsy Doodle.

#37 6 years ago

44 - Bally Space Invaders - $200 - 2010

#38 6 years ago

I was 11 and bought a Night Rider EM back in 2009. Since then... I have gone through many machines!

#39 6 years ago

Wow -- people purchased a lot younger than I would have thought -- esp you guys at 13, 11?!? Wow!

27 I believe for myself -- non working firepower for 300 I fixed up and half restored (to the best of my knowledge / ability / patience at the time). 31 now, think I've gone thru /sold 8 pins, 4 in the game room now with one more on order.. it escalated quick, which was certainly not my intention when I started. Oops!

#40 6 years ago

15, I bought a Williams Argosy (EM) with money I saved from working on my uncles' well drilling rig in the school holidays. The next year I bought a Black Knight. A few years later I sold them when I discovered girls and parties. Didn't buy my next one until 3 years ago at 45.

#41 6 years ago

21, bought a nice Judge Dredd I kept for a few years before moving on.

#43 6 years ago

29, bought a Dr Dude, then sold it for a Stern Star Trek Pro. Trying to convince my wife we have room for one more...

#44 6 years ago

36, Bought a Demo Man. Was on the hunt for a arcade game, but discovered a Demo man for sale on Craigslist. It never occurred to me you could own a pinball machine as I hadn't seen or played a machine in 15 years......They were basically out of sight, out of mind. After seeing that Demo man for sale on for only $1800, I realized how very possible it was to own a machine. A ton of memories flooded my head from my college years and ever when I was a kid, great memories I hadn't thought about in 15 years. I had the cash so I went and pulled the trigger. The game was in super condition and while speaking with the owner he informed me he owned 50 games........I WAS SHOCKED.....of course being a stranger, he would not let me see them. I was surprised how friendly the owner was, he was actually excited that I had discovered pinball again.......certainly more excited than my father who was there helping me, standing in disbelief. The seller explained as much as he could to me given I was clueless. Once I discovered Pinside, I met my buddy Rascal and the rest was history. I had fallen in love with this amazing hobby and great community.

#45 6 years ago

I was 25
    I bought a Twilight Zone about year 2000.

Edit: I want to add my friend at the time told me I was an idiot for buying a pinball game. Also he's not my friend anymore

#46 6 years ago

Gottlieb Solar City at 14yo and have had a few in between, at 49 I now have 11 and always looking.

#47 6 years ago

#48 6 years ago

19, Williams EM Gulfstream for $150

#49 6 years ago

Started looking at age 28...didn't buy one until age 45. Trying to make up for lost time now!

#50 6 years ago

Great stories!

I think I was about 35 when I bought my 1st pin, Hang Glider, which I still have today. I was bitten pretty hard at the time and quickly added Top Score, plus 2 projects. I stayed there for a couple years and then sold 3 machines to pursue other interests. Two years ago, I decided to build a game room and have since jumped in with both feet and bought 8 more machines, with more to come.

I find it funny that when you tell people you collect pinball machines, their reactions are usually peculiar. But when they visit and play them, they start asking where they can get one.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-old-were-you-when-you-purchased-your-first-game?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.