7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How old are you and what games do you like most?”

• Under 30, like DMD games most 49 votes
      15%
    • Under 30, like pre DMD solid state games most 4 votes
      1%
    • 30 to 40, like DMD games most 111 votes
      33%
    • 30 to 40, like pre DMD solid state games most 20 votes
      6%
    • 40 to 50, like DMD games most 81 votes
      24%
    • 40 to 50, like pre DMD solid state games most 24 votes
      7%
    • above 50, like DMD games most 33 votes
      10%
    • above 50, like pre DMD solid state games most 15 votes
      4%

(Multiple choice - 337 votes by 323 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

china_occupy_wall_street_2011_10_05.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I was wondering recently if the games people like are mainly influenced by their age, so have started this poll. Being an old git myself, and finding myself drawn to games of the 80's, I was wondering if this is a general trend... so, please pick where you fit in the poll options, and all will be revealed!

I wanted to include a broader age breakdown AND to include EM's, but the poll has a maximum of 9 categories, so sorry for the fairly limited options... Multiple votes are possible, so if you're really split between pre DMD and DMD, you can pick them both!

Also, in my original wording I'd seperated EMs out so they had their own category, but had to remove this catagory due to the limited poll options, but I forget to change the wording of the pre-DMD to simply be 'pre-DMD', so 'pre DMD Solid State' also includes EMs!

#2 7 years ago

What do we do if we are 40? Shouldn't the options be 30-39 or 41-50?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

What do we do if we are 40? Shouldn't the options be 30-39 or 41-50?

You're right, but I'd just say pick whichever age group you feel you want to represent yourself in if you're 40 or 50... or vote in them both...

If enough people vote, we'll get a good overview...

Sorry for slight anomaly, I'd not finished my first cup of coffee when I made the categories up

#4 7 years ago

I voted in both.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

I voted in both.

I had a feeling you might do that In fact, aren't you 50? If so, you can vote in 4 places

Quoted from pinballslave:

if you're 40 or 50

Just realised this is not correct either... you only get to vote twice if you're 40, as absocountry rightly said... see it as a special belated birthday treat for that special birthday

Interestingly, at the moment, the youngest voter has a liking for the older games!

#6 7 years ago

Hard to say. Mostly like pre-dmd for nostalgic factor and price range, but I'll play a dmd any day!

#7 7 years ago

Love the pre dmd machines, nothin' rocks better than an old 80's gottlieb for me

#8 7 years ago

I voted for the 40 - 50 and liking DMD's most. However that isint completely accurate. I like just about any game that is fun.

#9 7 years ago

Nice to see how things are panning out... to date, the DMD games are winning in every age category!

Edit: By the way, I originally included EM's in the breakdown, but ran out of poll options, so took them out... I should have also therefore changed the wording from 'pre DMD solid state' to simply pre DMD (so that EM's are included)... Doh!

I'd therefore say that if EM's are your bag, then please add your vote to 'pre DMD solid state'. Shame you can't go back and edit poll wording... I suppose that could be abused though and the originator could totally switch the poll wording to suit his desired result...

#10 7 years ago

As to be expected from my age group, I voted for "under 30, like DMD'S most."

#11 7 years ago

Just bumping this up to try and rake a few more votes in to see if pre DMD games can be the favoured era of ANY age group...

#12 7 years ago

40 to 50 and like EM games most

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

As to be expected from my age group, I voted for "under 30, like DMD'S most."

+1 I think most of us grew up around the DMD pins back in the day.

#14 7 years ago

Interestingly, at the moment, the youngest voter has a liking for the older games!

That's me. Woop Woop.

#15 7 years ago

30-40 and only really care for DMD pins. Interesting poll, well played pinballslave!

#16 7 years ago

Sorry for slight anomaly, I'd not finished my first cup of coffee when I made the categories up

I hate mornings as well.

Looks like DMD is pretty dominate. I used to like EM better but they get slow if you play a lot. I still have a special place for them but they are not as much fun.

#17 7 years ago

40 to 50, like DMD games most : (15 votes) 22%

Check-n 40 to 50 ,, made me Feel OLD !! ( 43 ) Heart-Attack range.. DMD for me !!!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I dunno, there are a lot of us old folks on this forum who were pretty grown up (but maybe not 'mature') when DMDs came along.

#19 7 years ago

44 pre DMD. There's enough going on when playing a game, don't need video distraction, but will play every and any lol. Their all fun!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I dunno, there are a lot of us old folks on this forum who were pretty grown up (but maybe not 'mature') when DMDs came along.

I hate to admit it, but Mr Kimart is right, if you look at the poll, most of the people on Pinside are 30 to 40 and therefore grew up in the DMD era (assuming you start playing pinball at, say, 15) then this means the now 30 to 40 y/o's were playing pinball from 1986 to 1996, the DMD's started in 1991 with DE's Checkpoint (I think!)... Us óver 40's are in the minority now...! On Pinside that is!

#21 7 years ago

Time for some stats maybe:

here's the ratio of the number of people liking DMD games to those liking pre DMD per age group after a total of 59 votes:

Under 30: 7
    30 - 40: 6.25
    40 - 50: 3
    Over 50: 2
    Overall: 4.9

So there's a clear trend of older people being more inclined to like older games, as expected, but personally I'm surprised that the DMD games excell in all age groups... What you've got to bear in mind, I guess, is that this is just Pinside people... I'm sure there are more over 40's that are into pinball that don't use pinside than under 40's, simply because the use of web-based forums is relatively modern, and probably used more by young folk... That's my take on it anyway and my way of not feeling so 'old fashioned' in my preferance for pre-DMDs

#22 7 years ago

I don't like choosing. I like them all. I'm more heavy DMD, but I like them all. I find it easier to find hard to get DMD's than hard to get early SS.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

I voted for the 40 - 50 and liking DMD's most. However that isint completely accurate. I like just about any game that is fun.

+1

I'm between 40 and 50, and I also prefer DMD machines, simply for the sheer depth of the rules, and everything that can be achieved on them.

I do still enjoy games on all of the older Solid State Williams & Bally machines that I used to play in my younger days. I also like some of the Alphanumeric System 11 games.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

I also prefer DMD machines, simply for the sheer depth of the rules, and everything that can be achieved on them.

over 50 like all pins, but unless I buy one for nostalgic reasons, really prefer the dmd machines.

#25 7 years ago

I am over 50 and am ready for the LCD era of pinball machines!

#26 7 years ago

Another stats update so I can put off actually starting to do any work while I have my morning coffee:

Again, DMD's are the preferred choice all round after 88votes, the ratio DMD : pre-DMD being:

Under 30: 8
    30 - 40: 5.7
    40 - 50: 4
    Over 50: 4
    Overall: 5.2

So, as the votes rose from 59 to 88, DMDs have become generally more popular (apart from 30 - 40 where the ratio is slightly less in favour of DMDs) with the trend plateauing off at the 'old end' (Edit: more mature end!), the over 50's doubling their DMD/pre DMD ratio. Total votes: 78 for DMD and 15 for pre-DMD.

Can pre-DMD games claw any popularity back?

My personal view on older games is, yes, they are less complex, they are slower, but after a days work, the calmer experience of playing pinball rather than being told what to do and feeling like I'm on a battlefield is sometimes my preferance. There's also the artwork and nostalgia side... I'm starting to realise that the visual side of pinball is actually more important for me than the gameplay side... An odd admition, maybe, but it's true for me... Finally, the sounds... personally I like a LOT more the older (post bleep bleep!) sounds of games like Xenon, Black Hole, Fathom etc etc... The polished voices, clever quotes and cinema style sound clips of modern games have less 'soul' to them (struggling to find the right word there... maybe soul isn't right...)... Anyway, food for thought maybe...

Undoubtedly DMD games are more engaging to play from a depth of rules and strategy view! I suppose what swings your vote is what it is about pinball that makes you like the game!

No more excuses, I now HAVE to do some work

#27 7 years ago

No more excuses, I now HAVE to do some work

No - it's Friday - let's talk pinball some more.

I'm in the 40-50 group, and voted for SS games. But like you, I think it's more of a nostalgia issue than anything else. I recently bought my 1st DMD (Monopoly) and I'm having a great time playing it - neglecting my older pins in the process. It's a tough call - I love 'em both, but the early SS have special place in my heart because of all my fond childhood memories.

#28 7 years ago

I've wondered about this myself many times, great poll

#29 7 years ago

What if I like EM games as much as SS and DMDs?

#30 7 years ago

Edit: By the way, I originally included EM's in the breakdown, but ran out of poll options, so took them out... I should have also therefore changed the wording from 'pre DMD solid state' to simply pre DMD (so that EM's are included)... Doh!
    I'd therefore say that if EM's are your bag, then please add your vote to 'pre DMD solid state'.

#31 7 years ago

50+ Grew up playing EM's, got bored, went to video games. Got interested in pins again because of DMD's and because I love to tinker. Was never a great player of any game, so it was only for fun.

#32 7 years ago

I think the newer pinballs have gotten too complicated to quickly understand all the specials and features. You used to be able to walk into a bar or arcade, plop in a few quarters, shoot a few games and then had a pretty good idea what was best to shoot at. I think this is part of the reason you dont see pinballs around as much as before since it is not as much fun to just blindly hit the flippers without knowing where the best scoring is.

#33 7 years ago

I'm 60 and nostalgia only goes so far with me. I have no desire to trade in my modern car for the non-air conditioned Rambler I drove back in the day. Likewise, I much prefer the games of the DMD era. It is almost 20 years old, but I love my DE SW and hope one day to pick up a SM, IM or LOTR to keep it company.

#34 7 years ago

I'm 37 and the first pin I played was a BK. Really enjoyed that type of machine but must say that I am partial to the DMD's for the toys and the other dimension that the video modes can add to the gameplay.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

good point +1

#36 7 years ago

What, no love for pin2k?

#37 7 years ago

Thirty seems to be the breaking point for DMD popularity

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Then that makes you kinda special

As I mentioned, I wanted to split EMs out, but there weren´t enough poll options, so I meant to combine them with pre DMD solid state by simply removing the words 'solid state' from the option, but I forgot to remove these words when I hit ´send post´, and I can´t change it... Anyway, if you like all games equally, then I guess it means you vote on all

Stats update after 114 votes, again showing DMD:Pre DMD ratios:

Under 30: 10.5
    30 - 40: 6.14
    40 - 50: 3.71
    Over 50: 3.67
    Overall: 5.32

Not a lot of change from the ´after 88 votes´ stats... DMDs are showing a stronger lead at the young end, and overall a bit greater popularity...

#39 7 years ago

From what I find the most people that are playing & buying in the 30-40 group.
    Generation X is a big part of the resurgence of pinball.

#40 7 years ago

Ohh, also, most Gen Xers I know/have met are just DMD fans.

#41 7 years ago

I really should be doing some work... buy hey, it's lunchtime... so time for another stats update after 130 votes, same format as before (DMD:Pre DMD ratio):

Under 30: 10.5
    30 - 40: 5.56
    40 - 50: 4.43
    Over 50: 3
    Overall: 5.18

Pre DMDs seening a slight improvement in popularity overall with the most marked 'claw back' in the 30-40 age range...

The trend clearly showing that age definitely affects DMD popularity, but even at the most 'pre-DMD friendly end of the spectrum, DMD's still win by 3!

#42 7 years ago

Pinball is a technology based product. As new technology becomes available (such as computer boards, DMD, PCB, LCD, Internet, holograms, etc, etc..) and reaches an economy of scale where it can be incorporated into various products, like Pinball machines, the previous generation becomes obsolete and less desirable...other than for nostalgic sake. How many of us are using Sony Walkmans or driving a 1990 mustang? All to say, if pinball survives into the future and technology continues to evolve exponentially, DMD era machines will go the way of EM's eventually. Oh, there will still be a vocal few that will prefer DMD's for nostalgic reasons, but the new generation of pins will dominate.

Also, I think the age and technology adoption thing is beginning to be a false paradigm. "Most" people today readily accept new technology if it's easier and especially cheaper - people today are conditioned to upgrades, new versions,models, etc, etc. My 82 year old mother just set up her own Facebook account - what's up with that?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

the previous generation becomes obsolete and less desirable...other than for nostalgic sake.

There's a lot of validity to what you're saying, but there are other factors to consider I think in addition to nostalgia and technology... there are many facets to pinball that make different games attractive... artwork and sounds are very strong elements, and these things (especially the artwork of course) are purely a matter of taste... Artwork isn't linked with technology at all... unless you find CGI particularly attractive. Sound may 'improve' with technology, but this is also based on taste to be honest... modern sounds are definitely more varied and poslished and realistic, but older sounds have their own qualities that you don't find in modern games...

#44 7 years ago

here are many facets to pinball that make different games attractive... artwork and sounds are very strong elements, and these things (especially the artwork of course)

I don't disagree...but even art (design if you will) evolves over time and reflects the tastes/sensibilities (and technology) of the current age. For example, I have a WPC-95 pin in my collection. I love it, but the color scheme and design elements of that PF are starting to show their age relative to the newer pins.

#45 7 years ago

Probably the last stats update on this for a while, unless bumping this up brings a load of new votes in... Hey, I could produce a histogram in a few years

So, after 139 votes the DMD:pre DMD ratios are:

Under 30: 11
    30 - 40: 5.4
    40 - 50: 4.86
    Over 50: 3
    Overall: 5.3

No amazing changes! In fact no moderately interesting changes...

Interestingly, pre DMD games are so un-popular that the biggest number of votes in favour of pre DMD games across the age groups (10 for 30-40) is still less than the smallest number of votes for DMD games (12 for over 50).

#46 7 years ago

I like Xenon and Centigrade 37 as much as I like T2...AND I'm between 50 and death...

#47 7 years ago

I grew up with DMDs but since I have two pinball museums nearby I have gotten more and more into SS, EM and even a few woodrails. However, it took quite a while for me to start appreciating them.

At the same time, the feel of all these different eras of game is so different that small differences between say, a bally vs. stern no longer really bother me like they do some. The only games that still feel a little weird are late-model gottlieb premier games.

#48 7 years ago

I was picking up a Charles Angels pin two days ago with my son. He made an interesting comment. He said he likes the 80's Gottlieb pins the best. I asked why. He said he like the different layouts they used and the fact that there are different flipper configurations. His example was the four flipper layout where there is a flipper that you can use or let it roll down to the traditional flipper. He asked why they do not do that and I do not have a good answer other than tradition.

#49 7 years ago

40-50 I like DMD games. Mid-life crisis

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

the four flipper layout where there is a flipper that you can use or let it roll down to the traditional flipper.

Let me guess, he was talking about Sinbad? I love that game, a big surprise for me that I liked it... it's got a simple but addictive rule set, and the 4 flippers do add to the interest... Didn't HH also have a double set of flippers at the bottom...?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 119.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.50
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside