Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What age bracket are you in? ”

• 15-20 3 votes
      1%
    • 21-25 9 votes
      2%
    • 26-30 16 votes
      3%
    • 31-35 46 votes
      9%
    • 36-40 90 votes
      17%
    • 41-45 104 votes
      19%
    • 46-50 81 votes
      15%
    • 51-55 93 votes
      17%
    • 56-60 61 votes
      11%
    • 61-65 26 votes
      5%
    • 66-70 9 votes
      2%
    • 71-75 0 votes
    • 76-80 0 votes
    • 81 + 1 vote

(539 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

age (resized).png
    goin-down-slide (resized).jpg
    bulldog-going-down-slide (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 7.26.03 PM (resized).png

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

For a long time I been curious about the age make up of all the pinheads spending all of their time staring at pinside.

I hate to admit it, but at 68 I am firmly in the camp of "The Seniors".

And while I hate to admit it, there is no running from it. I am reminded every time I get another senior discount.

But going through life is a constant shuffle with perspectives and the big positive is that I am still here to talk about it.

I just want to see how many young whippersnappers hang out here. Someday, I will be needing buyers for my pins

How about a poll? Step right up.

#2 4 years ago

I took that title to mean "What is my Pinside age", which would be 7....since 2013.

Closing in on 56 Earth years, poll updated!

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I took that title to mean "What is my Pinside age", which would be 7....since 2013.
    Closing in on 56 Earth years, poll updated!

Thanks. I changed the title. Maybe this will help lessen any confustion.

#4 4 years ago

30 votes and no one below the age of 31.

Interesting.

#5 4 years ago

missing 76-80

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

missing 76-80

Thanks. Corrected.

#9 4 years ago

The collector one is poorly written though. It attempts to divide people not by decade, but by 20 year groups. Then it overlaps one of the most popular groups, people in their 40's. Needs to be redone.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Here we go again...thanks LAW for pointing out that this topic has in the words of Monty Python "Its been Done Before..."

Sorry. I must have missed it. There are 1000s of pages on Pinside. If you have some of the old ones in your file, you are ahead of the game. But I have no intention of trying a search when I would not even know the right question to ask without winding up with 7 + pages of pinside posts to go thru.

And as new pinballers keep coming to Pinside it will probably be asked again, and again, and again.

If you know what it all about, don't bother to open it. Hit the drain function.

#11 4 years ago

26, every time I've bought a pin I get a comment about how young I am (but I just wish I had started saving up money and buying games back in highschool). If anyone in here doesn't have any heirs, feel free to put me in your will

#13 4 years ago

I should like to apologize for helping drag down the older end of the voting.

LTG : )

#14 4 years ago

I love looking at the poll and having to stare at it for like 10 straight seconds.
    "How fucking old am i..."

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from nogoodnames222:

26, every time I've bought a pin I get a comment about how young I am (but I just wish I had started saving up money and buying games back in highschool). If anyone in here doesn't have any heirs, feel free to put me in your will

I might put you in my potential buyer's file Perhaps put you in my follow list on Pinside

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What's the problem?

We ain't getting any younger.

There's pinball machines out there that need playing. Lets Go !

#17 4 years ago

getting older (but not wiser)

#18 4 years ago

soooo.... based on that age distribution... in about 10 years you would expect game values to start dropping.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I might put you in my potential buyer's file Perhaps put you in my follow list on Pinside

Hey, I want in on summa that action. I may be 58, but I got carded at Trader Joes last month, and I'm figgering on going at least triple digits, so I'll be here awhile...

#20 4 years ago

thus far 31-60 is 88% of those that voted...

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"How fucking old am i..."

I always have to do the math...

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I should like to apologize for helping drag down the older end of the voting.

Ahh shit, LLoyd. You are an old fart. Many of the younger ones think we fart dust. What they don't know is sometimes we wish it was really dust that we just farted

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

thus far 31-60 is 88% of those that voted...

The 31-35 bracket looks like it is where someone gets established in life. Got the wife and kids. Working in a solid job. Probably has bought a house and is building an asset base and has a little play money stacked up up to enjoy some hobbies.

Of all of the hobbies (hunting fishing cars motor boats ) I have had thru the years, I am finding out that pinball has probably been the most fun, so far.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How do you want me to redo it?
    Right now, there are 20 votes in the 41-45 bracket and 20 votes in the 46-50 age bracket. Add 20 + 20 and you now have 40 people in the 41-50 age bracket.
    1-10, 11-20,21-30, 31-40, 41-50. Each set of numbers contain ten numbers
    What's the problem?

Cottonm4, I think javagrind888 was actually supporting this thread by saying that one of the old threads thelaw listed (with “collector” in the title) was poorly done, and you’re doing the right thing by starting this better thread now. At least that’s how I read it. I think your age groups are fine.

By the way, I’m 57, but in terms of pin collections, I’m the “older” guy because I have all EMs. You’re just a whippersnapper at heart with all those solid states!

#25 4 years ago

42 here.

#26 4 years ago

My Dad called me Sputnik, good sign I was born in the late 50's.

#27 4 years ago

I turned 55 last year and it really bothers me. I don't feel 55 nor do I think I look 55. I mean 55 is like for my father. Anyway I decide to take advantage of the perks and ordered off a senior (ha ha, can't believe I just wrote that) menu and a local restaurant. The waitress didn't even blink twice. She didn't even card me, I mean maybe I do look 55, WTF. So I was just visiting my parents in Palm Springs, where everyone is a senior, and their senior menus are for 65 and older. Made me feel young again.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Cottonm4, I think javagrind888 was actually supporting this thread by saying that one of the old threads thelaw listed (with “collector” in the title) was poorly done, and you’re doing the right thing by starting this better thread now. At least that’s how I read it. I think your age groups are fine.
    By the way, I’m 57, but in terms of pin collections, I’m the “older” guy because I have all EMs. You’re just a whippersnapper at heart with all those solid states!

This is correct.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Quoted from javagrind888:

This is correct.

My apologies. I did read you incorrectly. I have deleted my offending post.

#30 4 years ago

Old enough to have been playing pinball before video games took over.

Young enough to not be into what most of those video gamers turned pinballers think is cool now.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

I turned 55 last year and it really bothers me.

Not turning 55 should really bother you more.

#32 4 years ago

I'm 43, or as they say in pinball owner years.."young".

#33 4 years ago

Hmm, at 56 I'm near the end of the statistical bell curve. Since pinball is stereotype based, I better get the rest of my bucket list pins in the next couple of years or I won't get them.

#34 4 years ago

Old enough to know better...........
    Young enough not to care.

#35 4 years ago

42. Growing up, I thought 40s were old. Now I realize, you are just getting started. Gotten past all the bullshit of your 20s, the self discovery and freak outs of your 30s, and now, you are ready to be you. I’m digging this period of my life.

#36 4 years ago

I think the OP should change the title of the thread to "How young are we?". Same data, better implications. This is after all, a site about arcade amusements and fun.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

42. Growing up, I thought 40s were old. Now I realize, you are just getting started. Gotten past all the bullshit of your 20s, the self discovery and freak outs of your 30s, and now, you are ready to be you. I’m digging this period of my life.

This is called your 2nd childhood. Are we to expect to see you with hair plugs in your forehead and a new Corvette sitting in your driveway

If you think 42 is good, I can tell you 65 and Social Security is great. You don't have to pee in anybody's bottle anymore. And if you are so inclined, I suppose you could cop a George Carlin attitude and have a great big foam middle finger made up to carry around to flash everybody to tell them what you really think.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This is called your 2nd childhood. Are we to expect to see you with hair plugs in your forehead and a new Corvette sitting in your driveway
    If you think 42 is good, I can tell you 65 and Social Security is great. You don't have to pee in anybody's bottle anymore. And if you are so inclined, I suppose you could cop a George Carlin attitude and have a great big foam middle finger made up to carry around to flash everybody to tell them what you really think.

Don’t care about the hair and not a car guy. Did buy my dream house and spent the last 2 years remodeling, so there is that. As soon as they build the dock and I can have my boat here at the house I will be super happy.

It took me to my late 30s to really figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. I’m glad I figured it out as early as I did.

#39 4 years ago

It looks like pinheads don’t make it to 70. Probably all that wear and tear on our bodies from moving machines.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I think the OP should change the title of the thread to "How young are we?". Same data, better implications. This is after all, a site about arcade amusements and fun.

No man. Not gonna do that. I have past the age in my life where I am "getting older". Some say I don't look it. And I sure don't feel it. But I don't know how I am supposed to feel at 68 but at 68 i'm fkn old.

You may still be getting older but I'm going to rip that band aid. If you are old enough to worry about how "young" you still are, it won't be long and you will be another old fart joining the old farts' club. No point in trying to run from it.

Besides, why would you think the fun would disappear just because you got older? I suppose if I had not found pinballs as a hobby life might be a little more glum, but I did and it is not.

I can say this: Since I turned 65 and started cashing my retirement, I'm having a fucking blast. As long as my health holds out, I don't see that changing. I don't have a boss. I don't have a house payment. I don't have a car payment. I finally got a riding lawn mower. My girlfriend is cool with whatever I do and does not hassle me about my pin hobby.

I miss and salute my friends that have gone before me (the list keeps getting longer). That is the biggest loss. But loss is part of life, if not life itself. You choose to die with them or you choose to go on living. And life is for the living.

Life is good at 68.

My hope for you, and everybody, is that you will get the same chance to experience and enjoy it.

I'm having a ball.

#41 4 years ago

29 here, the times I've decided to sell a game the buyers have been surprised I'm into pinball and arcade games in general. I know quite a few other collectors in their 20s as well!

#42 4 years ago

Age is a state of mind. My technical partner that was paired with me for the past 4 years just retired this past year. At 76. At 76, he has more energy and vibrancy than just about anybody I know. He was and still is sharper on technology compared to anybody I know. He still does some 1099 work just to pass the time, flys all over the world to see his grand kids or just to go places, works out daily, and makes pickles. He is up to date with current affair and pop culture, and watches soccer at all times of the day. We talk about every other week and get together to drink beer and play pinball. I can honestly say that I love “Big Maish” and that I aspire to be even remotely as awesome as he is. Just because you get older does not mean that you stop living.

#43 4 years ago

It looks like normal bell curve distribution.

Just getting started at 26-30. This is where you are learning to convince the wife that another pin in the house would be a good idea.

Picking up the pace at 31-35. You are becoming a master at stroking your wife's ego. Whatever it takes.

At to 36-55: Now you are buying bigger houses or building back yard barns to house the growing collection. Competition within your peer group is stiff. You are busy keeping up the Mr. and Mrs. Pinball Jones.

At 56-65, some of you are starting to cash out. Or just sell stuff off. Simplifying is becoming your new mantra.

At 66-70, have sold off most of your stuff. And perhaps thinking about becoming a member of the RV crowd.

At 71-80, reality has set in and you are drooling for a new Winnebago.

I see we have pinballer here who has checked in that he/she is 81+. Dude, come out the closet. Tell us about your collection and your gerontoloigcal pinball habits.

Anyway, It looks like I am going to have a lot of people to buy my pins when the time comes. I just love children and a growing community

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 7.26.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-15 at 7.26.03 PM (resized).png

#44 4 years ago

Too bad every pinsider doesn’t have their age next to the avatar. When reading some threads and comments you sometimes wonder if it’s an adult behaving like that.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

No man. Not gonna do that. I have past the age in my life where I am "getting older". Some say I don't look it. And I sure don't feel it. But I don't know how I am supposed to feel at 68 but at 68 i'm fkn old.
    You may still be getting older but I'm going to rip that band aid. If you are old enough to worry about how "young" you still are, it won't be long and you will be another old fart joining the old farts' club. No point in trying to run from it.
    Besides, why would you think the fun would disappear just because you got older? I suppose if I had not found pinballs as a hobby life might be a little more glum, but I did and it is not.
    I can say this: Since I turned 65 and started cashing my retirement, I'm having a fucking blast. As long as my health holds out, I don't see that changing. I don't have a boss. I don't have a house payment. I don't have a car payment. I finally got a riding lawn mower. My girlfriend is cool with whatever I do and does not hassle me about my pin hobby.
    I miss and salute my friends that have gone before me (the list keeps getting longer). That is the biggest loss. But loss is part of life, if not life itself. You choose to die with them or you choose to go on living. And life is for the living.
    Life is good at 68.
    My hope for you, and everybody, is that you will get the same chance to experience and enjoy it.
    I'm having a ball.

Pinball should have this affect on us.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

my thoughts exactly. Just turned 39 last november.
    Don't you know 40 is the new 20 these days??

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

really bothers me. I don't feel 55 nor do I think I look 55.

avspin,

I think you are holding your age quite well. You still look like the same steely tough Billy Jack that I remember from the 70's.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

avspin,
    I think you are holding your age quite well. You still look like the same steely tough Billy Jack that I remember from the 70's.

I'm gonna take my foot right here and kick you in the head right there and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

#49 4 years ago

My pinball age is almost 4.

#50 4 years ago

Talk about a perfect bell curve.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-old-are-we-on-pinside-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.